Shoutbox

[SOLVED] Ipod trouble [SOLVED] - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: [SOLVED] Ipod trouble [SOLVED] (/showthread.php?tid=55378)

[SOLVED] Ipod trouble [SOLVED] by qgroessl on 01-30-2006 at 03:30 AM

My friend recently got her computer reformatted by some store or something... well she lost all her music files... And the only ones she has right now are on her Ipod... but her Ipod is dead... she needs to recharge it... She told me that the only way to recharge it is to plug it into her computer... and if she does that it automatically updates the playlist....

She can't figure out how to get rid of the auto-update playlist so she doesn't lose all the music on her Ipod too...

Anybody know what she means?... I'm not completely sure as I don't own an Ipod... but any help would be great!

RE: Ipod trouble by albert on 01-30-2006 at 03:55 AM

Itunes automaticly syncs up the ipod. She's scared of plugging it in so that it syncs together and delete all her tracks. I would suggest her to charge it with the eletric plug if she has one. another thing would be to uninstall itunes and then plug the ipod, logicly it couldnt sync seeing as the program isn't there.. but I am not sure, I have no ipod and have never tried it. try it only in last ressource.

RE: Ipod trouble by qgroessl on 01-30-2006 at 03:59 AM

She contacted customor services... But knowing how they usually... they won't be much help online.... And I figured it would be faster to do it this way.... btw, I don't think she has the electric plug.

RE: Ipod trouble by matty on 01-30-2006 at 03:59 AM

Make sure iTunes isn't running.
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL > Processes > End iTunesHelper.exe
Connect the iPod to charge it.
Note: The iTunesHelper.exe processes is what is used to open iTunes when the iPod is connected.

By default when she plugs her iPod in its going to say the following:
[Image: 61675_1.jpg]

She simply has to say NO and that will prevent it from deleting everything from her iPod.

Next she can go to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Check Copy files to iTunes Music Library and Adding Files to Library

Click on File > Add Folder to Library > Click + Beside My Computer > Select the iPod and click Ok.

That will transfer all the music back to the PC and add it to the library.

Then go back to Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Uncheck Copy files to iTunes Music Library and Adding Files to Library

Have to remember I am the iPod resident expert. If I don't know the answer I can get it.

RE: Ipod trouble by qgroessl on 01-30-2006 at 04:03 AM

Thanks! I'll see how that works for her and I'll edit my post :p...

It says access denied when she trys to end the process.... any reason why?

RE: Ipod trouble by matty on 01-30-2006 at 04:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
Thanks! I'll see how that works for her and I'll edit my post :p...

It says access denied when she trys to end the process.... any reason why?
As I said in my PM its probably cause shes on a limited account.
RE: Ipod trouble by Pyroteq on 01-30-2006 at 06:13 AM

Plug it into someone elses computer.

Im not saying this will work but for me, if i plug the cord into the ipod, then the computer, it dosnt detect it and will charge. it only detects it if i plug in the cord, then the ipod. Not sure why.You can charge using the electric plug, which as far as i know comes with all ipods.

RE: Ipod trouble by markee on 01-30-2006 at 09:34 AM

She should firstly uninstall itunes, then transfer all the music files onto the computer (they are listed as some four letter file in a hidden folder) she can then charge up the ipod and have a copy of the music on the computer.  If she wants to continue using itunes she should then re-install itunes and import those new music files.  She then does not have to worry about the auto-update and she can put the music on to the ipod and also listen to it on the computer.

It would also be advisable that she makes a copy of her music onto a CD so this problem doesn't happen again

RE: Ipod trouble by Kryptonate on 01-30-2006 at 09:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by markee
She should firstly uninstall itunes, then transfer all the music files onto the computer (they are listed as some four letter file in a hidden folder) she can then charge up the ipod and have a copy of the music on the computer.  If she wants to continue using itunes she should then re-install itunes and import those new music files.  She then does not have to worry about the auto-update and she can put the music on to the ipod and also listen to it on the computer.

It would also be advisable that she makes a copy of her music onto a CD so this problem doesn't happen again
no need to uninstall iTunes, if she does what Matty or Scone suggested then she will be fine :).
RE: Ipod trouble by qgroessl on 01-30-2006 at 01:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by markee

That was the first thing that I told her to do... lol... But Matty and I have PMed back and forth a couple times and I think we have it solved.... But I'll know tonight after her basketball game.
RE: Ipod trouble by Stigmata on 01-30-2006 at 01:39 PM

switch itunes off automatic and to manual

jeez..

RE: Ipod trouble by qgroessl on 01-30-2006 at 04:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
switch itunes off automatic and to manual

jeez..

She said you couldn't do that until your Ipod was plugged in.... and all that crap... So that wouldn't work until after it automatically updates.
RE: Ipod trouble by Stigmata on 01-30-2006 at 05:08 PM

*just checked*

yeah, sorry your right..

RE: Ipod trouble by qgroessl on 01-31-2006 at 04:20 AM

quote:
*Becca* says:
OMFG Quinn Groessl!! You are my American Idol
Groessl... says:
why would that be
*Becca* says:
i fuckin luv you to death right now
*Becca* says:
because it worked!!
Groessl... says:
  don't thank me
*Becca* says:
THANK YOU!
Groessl... says:
haha don't thank me
Groessl... says:
thank matty
Groessl... says:
type it here and i'll post it
*Becca* says:
why would i not thank you, its fixed
Groessl... says:
  because i didn't know what the hell i was talking about
*Becca* says:
Thank you Matty!! You are just about my favorite person in the world right now...haha...and thank you too Quinn for posting it on here and finding someone who knew how to fix it! I appreciate both of your help

Obviously she's just a little excited... as like I said... I really had no clue... So thanks Matty!
RE: [SOLVED] Ipod trouble [SOLVED] by matty on 01-31-2006 at 04:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
Obviously she's just a little excited... as like I said... I really had no clue... So thanks Matty!
Glad it worked :)