Shoutbox

Disabling Windows Messenger and its affects on MSN Messenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Disabling Windows Messenger and its affects on MSN Messenger (/showthread.php?tid=55408)

Disabling Windows Messenger and its affects on MSN Messenger by Maniac on 01-31-2006 at 05:19 AM

Hello people! loooooong time no posting!

A couple of hours ago a friend of mine said that to uninstall windows messenger all I had to do was go to add/remove programs and check it off.

Now, i remember CookieRevised was very careful about telling people how to get rid of Windows Messenger.

The thing was, taking off windows messenger in the wrong way would take of some functionalities of MSN Messenger (such as remote assistance, whiteboard and app sharing)

Now we tried this on 4 different pc's (by uninstalling or not uninstalling windows messenger) and MSN messenger works perfect even without windows messenger....

I pretty much got owned when we found it nothing changed, but now I want to know why!

cookie... if you see this... please help ;)

RE: Disabling Windows Messenger and its affects on MSN Messenger by zach on 01-31-2006 at 06:33 AM

Are you sure it doesn't? I was talking to SonicSam the other day and he couldn't use remote assistance because he didn't have windows messenger.

RE: Disabling Windows Messenger and its affects on MSN Messenger by matty on 01-31-2006 at 08:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
A couple of hours ago a friend of mine said that to uninstall windows messenger all I had to do was go to add/remove programs and check it off.
You simply cannot do that without launching the uninstall inf portion:

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
quote:
Originally posted by lhunath
quote:
Originally posted by Black_Forky
I dont want to get rid of because of the api stuff
quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
There is a way to uninstall, the easy way anyways.
* lhunath whistles.

Disabling the service doesn't help. Well, it sure in hell didn't help with me..
The only way is this :
Start => Run..
type: GPEDIT.MSC
Go to Administrative Templates
Then to Windows Components
On to Windows Messenger

There you have two settings to disable Windows Messenger. Set them both to be sure ;)
That's what Messenger Disable does by the way, I think... Did you try doing it with Messenger Disable for System Wide ? Try that first.

That method is only for Windows XP Professional. Please take a look at my link below on howto disable Windows Messenger

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Warning: Do not delete windows messenger as MSN messenger may need some of its resources.

Simply stop it from running by doing the following: Start > Configurationscreen, Systemmanagement, Services (local) ... look for messenger rightclick and choose properties then disable it from runnin  (i totally disabled it...not turn it to manual). The way i described is how it works in Win XP.

That wont disable Windows Messenger from running, that disables the services that alows computers to use the netsend command to send messages to other computers.

What you are looking for is right here :)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb...89&Product=WinMsgr

If you disable Windows Messenger from running and if you use outlook express I suggest editing this into your registry

code:
[Start] [Run] [Regedit]
Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Outlook Express
Modify/Create the Value Name according to the Value Data listed below.
Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] // Value Name: Hide Messenger
Value Data: [2 = Messenger Will Not Load]
Exit Registry and Reboot
That way, Outlook Express wont try and open WIndows Messenger and take 5 mins doing it.

To Completly remove Windows Messenger from the computer do this
code:
Click [Start] [Run] and in the [Open:] box type or copy/paste the following command
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
Click [OK]

Now by doing this, you may limit programs and addons for Messenger from actuall working. (Not a good idea if you program addons for Messenger)

To reinstall download file from here.

------------------------------------
Matty

Dont do that tho: CookieRevised's reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger
RE: Disabling Windows Messenger and its affects on MSN Messenger by CookieRevised on 01-31-2006 at 09:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Maniac
That's not uninstalling Windows Messenger. That's simply removing its menu item in the start menu; it will still be installed (hence why everything will still worked in MSN Messenger; Windows Messenger was not uninstalled at all).

Give your friend a slap and let him read and understand: CookieRevised's reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger ;):p
RE: Disabling Windows Messenger and its affects on MSN Messenger by Negro_Joe on 01-31-2006 at 02:20 PM

I uninstalled windows messenger when i first got my computer and msn works fine :-/

RE: Disabling Windows Messenger and its affects on MSN Messenger by Kryptonate on 01-31-2006 at 02:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Negro_Joe
I uninstalled windows messenger when i first got my computer and msn works fine :-/
it will work fine, but you won't be able to use certain things like Whiteboard.
RE: Disabling Windows Messenger and its affects on MSN Messenger by Negro_Joe on 01-31-2006 at 02:31 PM

Iv never really tried it, or had any use for it anyways...:S

RE: RE: Disabling Windows Messenger and its affects on MSN Messenger by CookieRevised on 01-31-2006 at 06:44 PM

quote:
quote:
Iv never really tried it, or had any use for it anyways...:S
Then why do you state/keep on stating such things?

May I remind you the reply I gave to that 2 days ago when you stated the very same thing in another thread:
CookieRevised's reply to Need HELP (installation requirements):
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
I dont have windows messenger, i uninstalled it ages ago, and my MSN works fine...:)
If you don't have Windows Messenger (in XP) then your MSN Messenger will NOT work fine for all features. MSN Messenger simply needs Windows Messenger for some of it features. Don't state that it works fine, if you're not using all the features because some will not work fine if you have uninstalled Windows Messenger...

see CookieRevised's reply to I am about to rip my hair out over MS Messanger

We don't post such things to be ignored and not read or to be funny or whatever...
;)