Shoutbox

RAM Speeds - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: RAM Speeds (/showthread.php?tid=55412)

RAM Speeds by Reaper on 01-31-2006 at 11:41 AM

At the moment, I have 2x 256Mb RAM at the 266mhz speed. i bought a 1Gb one at a 400Mhz. is there going to be any problems running the RAM and different speeds? if not then would a common speed be found then run or does each module run at its optimum speed?

RE: RAM Speeds by Dempsey on 01-31-2006 at 11:56 AM

Have you checked your motherboard can support the 400Mhz RAM, they don't support all speeds.

AFAIK they will all run at the slowest speed, but I'm not certain, so you might be better off removing both 256sticks and having just the 1Gb.  You may have to o that anyway, depending on how many free slots you have.

RE: RAM Speeds by TReKiE on 01-31-2006 at 11:59 AM

Assuming you haven't specifically forced a timing, any standard BIOS will simply go with the lower speed for the entire PC.

If you have forced the timing, usually any modern BIOS will simply complain on bootup and tell you to change it.  Either way, just stick it in and it will probably just work.

RE: RAM Speeds by Reaper on 01-31-2006 at 12:36 PM

my board supports speeds from 266 to 400. and i have got 3 slots.
so its better to have the 1Gb running at full speed rather than having 1.5Gb running at a slow speed?
i have no problems removing the 256's cos i can just sell em on ebay :P

i hanvt modified anything in the BIOS, and its a 1 month old motherboard

RE: RAM Speeds by RaceProUK on 01-31-2006 at 02:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
its better to have the 1Gb running at full speed rather than having 1.5Gb running at a slow speed?
Yes.