Shoutbox

How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? (/showthread.php?tid=55424)

How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by prashker on 01-31-2006 at 08:44 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=597437]

What buttions on the keyboard do I need to press to make the mail one and the moon one light up?

I have a standby buttion with the moon but when I press and when the pcs in standby its still not on

Help thanks :)

RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by CookieRevised on 01-31-2006 at 08:46 PM

RTFM?
"Read the fantastic manual"

Also, it may require that you installed specific drivers for it, dunno

RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by prashker on 01-31-2006 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
"Read the fantastic manual"

....thats been lost ever since the beginning of time
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by CookieRevised on 01-31-2006 at 08:54 PM

Look into the driver settings of the keyboard.

Even take a peek in the BIOS, maybe there is something related (although this is very remotely though, but with Compaq you never know :p)

PS: google google google google ... aaaaaaaalways google :D
http://forums.windrivers.com/vb/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=31225

and/or

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocumen...596&dlc=en&lang=en
Search Compaq site for more info like this. Heck even contact Compaq (also, the product/type number of the PC you're using is something to search for)

RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by prashker on 01-31-2006 at 09:02 PM

I am downloading the "Easy Access Buttons Software" that was said on the page...if that dosent work I will edit. look down :P

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Look into the driver settings of the keyboard.
Nothing

edit: still nothing...anybody else can try to help me?
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by Reaper on 02-01-2006 at 10:59 AM

surely the moon one is displayed when the pc is on standby/hibernate and if the drivers are installed only then will the keys light up

RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by markee on 02-01-2006 at 11:53 AM

I noticed in the top of the pic theres a button thats cut off and it looks like the moon (which I'm guessing is standby/hibernate aswell), if you press that button it will probably turn the light on.  If there is one like the envelope symbol (my guess is some kind of inbox for email) then that will probably turn that light on and open up your inbox.  You will probably need a driver installed for the keyboard to do this though, there should be one floating around on the net somewhere and it's most likely somewhere hidden on the Compaq site.  Hope this helps

RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by rav0 on 02-02-2006 at 10:14 AM

I guess that with specific software, the envelope light turns on when you have new or unread email.

RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by DJeX on 02-02-2006 at 08:07 PM

I turned my lights into a nice visulization for WinAMP. They flicker to the music!

Like said above you might want to check out the drivers. Theres surely a way to light them up.

RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by Voldemort on 02-03-2006 at 01:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX
WinAMP.

link?
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by surfichris on 02-03-2006 at 01:42 AM

http://www.winamp.com

RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by Voldemort on 02-03-2006 at 02:06 AM

misquoted:P
meant the plugin...

RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by XZAVER on 06-01-2011 at 04:01 PM

Sorry to bump a very old thread but i have some useful information.

It seems like XP's unread mail indicator is NOT what triggers the mail indicator on this. Nor is Outlook express nor does tbird or msn messenger. the winamp plugin DOES infact work with the 3 indicator leds for caps,num lock,scroll lock but not the others.

the keyboard also seems to have a built in smart card.  (NOT a smartcard reader)

....i would like to know what DOES trigger the mail led.

RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by CookieRevised on 06-01-2011 at 05:29 PM

As said before, make sure you have the proper drivers installed.
Also, make sure you have all the proper fixes installed of those drivers! On the HP custom support site you will find some articles (eg: here and here) about how a certain driver of a certain version for a certain OS has a bug in it which makes that those lights are not properly lit up when they need to. So, it is not uncommon and the same thing might be happening with your keyboard model and driver.

Then it might also be a matter of configuring the monitoring tools for email which might come with the drivers/software of your PC and keyboard. The mail indicator probably needs to be configured in those (eg: configure the correct POP3 settings in HP's own mail monitoring program).

RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by XZAVER on 06-01-2011 at 06:09 PM

CookieRevised

Not to doubt what you're saying but im curious where you see this specific model keyboard listed in any of those articles

...or the epidemiology of how those articles where found for that matter ?

Have you seen these leds work as designed yourself ?

Also and most notably.....
It would also seem each of these articles only have software and drivers compatible with windows 98, nothing there is for 2000 or XP.
The description for these articles are also incredibly vague and ambiguous.

Here is says, "This resolves the issue where the LED light did not turn on over the envelope symbol on the affected Presario models when the customer had new mail."

What does "Had" mean ?

And lets be frank what is this supposed to mean ?

New mail globally ? New mail with outlook ? New mail with the yahoo my presario ?

I mean, are these articles even written in english ?

RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by matty on 06-01-2011 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XZAVER
It would also seem each of these articles only have software and drivers compatible with windows 98, nothing there is for 2000 or XP.
Well logically thinking about this XP was released how many years after Windows 98? Not all hardware had drivers written for Windows XP.

This is a 5+ year old thread just let it be already.
RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by CookieRevised on 06-01-2011 at 06:35 PM

quote:
Not to doubt what you're saying but im curious where you see this specific model keyboard listed in any of those articles
I did not say the KU9978 model was listed in those articles! I simply said the problem of those malfunctioning leds like those mail and sleep indicators is known in certain cases with certain drivers on certain OSs. And I gave those links to those articles as an example to that.

quote:
...or the epidemiology of how those articles where found for that matter ?
Search on the support site with the proper keywords.

quote:
Also and most notably.....
The description for these articles are also incredibly vague and ambiguous.

Here is says, "This resolves the issue where the LED light did not turn on over the envelope symbol on the affected Presario models when the customer had new mail."

What does "Had" mean ?

And lets be frank what is this supposed to mean ?

New mail globally ? New mail with outlook ? New mail with the yahoo my presario ?

I mean, are these articles even written in english ?
They are written in perfect English. And although not extremely detailed, the description of the problem is clear.

There are two ways in how those leds can function. Either the keyboard driver (or rather part of its supporting software) checks the Windows' newmail registry setting (and lites up that led if it has changed/has a value bigger than 0), or you need to configure a dedicated email monitoring program provided by HP (which came with the keyboard driver/config tool) to activly check your email (much like Windows Live Messenger and/or Messenger Plus! checks for new email).

In the first case the functionality depends on your own email software (outlook, thunderbird, Windows Mail, whatever you use...) and its ability to update that Windows registry key setting. If they fail to properly update that registry key, then the keyboard driver/mailcheck tool/whatever wont detect anything and thus wont lit up that led.

In the second case you need to configure a dedicated monitoring program for HP (usually this comes in the form of additional software/config tool which you can install or which is installed automatically when you install the drivers). In that monitoring program you define what mail server to check. Many other brands use this method to show a 'new email'-toast on the user's PC, so it would be no surprise that this is how HP does it too (provided you install the _proper_ drivers and software).

Also note that you can always contact HP too with your questions.

RE: How do I actvate the remaining lights on my Compaq KU-9978 internet keyboard? by XZAVER on 06-01-2011 at 09:04 PM

The only software that was even remotely along the lines of what you're referring to is the button server and button LED notifier(which will not install do to a pkzip error), I cant find anything about server monitoring, I also tried extracting and installing those packages manually which also failed. Both the unread mail registry entry is higher than zero as well as all the installed and coupled clients to the EAK software as well.

I don't expect HP/compaq to spoon feed me, but i also dont expect them to think that i have ESP.

ps: thanks for your replies by the way.