Shoutbox

IE 7 Public BETA - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: IE 7 Public BETA (/showthread.php?tid=55426)

IE 7 Public BETA by GiantSpider on 01-31-2006 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally Posted on CNET
Microsoft took the wraps off Internet Explorer 7 Tuesday, releasing the new "preview" version of its Web browser to the general public for testing.

The program, still a work in progress, is available for download from the Internet Explorer section of Microsoft's corporate Web site, the company said. The company, which began limited testing in July, had promised to deliver a public beta by the end of March.
IE 7 screenshot

"The big update is that it's public," said Margaret Cobb, group product manager for Internet Explorer at Microsoft. "All previous releases were limited."

The latest version works only with Windows XP Service Pack 2 and includes many of the features Microsoft has been touting for months. Among them are new security and privacy protection capabilities such as mechanisms designed to combat phishing attacks, spyware and other threats.

Another new feature lets users clear their browsing history more easily and thus wipe out passwords, form data and cookies in one click, the company said.

The new browser also includes tabbed browsing and a search box on a more streamlined toolbar, concepts that should be familiar to users of Firefox, a rival browser distributed by the Mozilla Foundation.
Microsoft said that the new Printing Enhancements and Shrink to Fit printing features enable users to adjust margins, change the page layout, remove headers or footers, and increase or decrease the print space.

Tabbed browsing lets users open multiple Web pages in a single browser window. Microsoft has tried to best Firefox with something called Quick Tabs. That feature provides an at-a-glance, thumbnail view of all open tabs in a single window.

In addition, the program is supposed to let users more easily subscribe to syndicated feeds from news and sports sites, blogs and stores. The browser detects feeds enabled by Real Simple Syndication, or RSS, technology, illuminating an icon on the toolbar. Users can preview, subscribe and scan syndicated headlines directly through the browser, Microsoft said.

IE 7 also includes a number of new features for Web developers, including support for up-and-coming Web-programming technologies known collectively as AJAX.

Microsoft plans to release a final version of IE 7 later this year, around the time the company debuts the next version of its Windows operating system, Windows Vista.

Linkage
RE: IE 7 Public BETA by [MR] on 01-31-2006 at 10:16 PM

thats pretty cool, thanks for the link.  too bad you have to have windows activated to install it.  i really need to call ms about activating it, b/c im on the version of xp that i did buy but i used it too many times.

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by ~INVASION~ on 01-31-2006 at 10:38 PM

no sp2, no using it, dam sp2 not being compatible with me :@

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by _Humphreys on 01-31-2006 at 11:14 PM

I'll upgrade to it but I won't be using it, it'll have security pot-holes all over the place in minutes.

I have grew accustomed to Firefox and I want to now stick with it.

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by Dane on 01-31-2006 at 11:27 PM

Its really cool.  Whats lame is the fact that the build im on is a later version than the public build they decided to release.  You think they'd release the newest code to everyone...we all get that it's beta and all.  Whatever though.

FREE PATCHOU

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by ~INVASION~ on 01-31-2006 at 11:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane

FREE PATCHOU

huh?

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by Jhrono on 01-31-2006 at 11:31 PM

If my IE actually worked so i could do the verification or the verification program actually worked, i'd install it..

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by albert on 01-31-2006 at 11:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
If my IE actually worked so i could do the verification or the verification program actually worked, i'd install it..

:lol:!!!

Well I'm currently using a newer build as well, to be quite honest I think it's a lot better than IE6, but I've gotten used to Firefox, and don't really want to change.
RE: IE 7 Public BETA by Jhrono on 01-31-2006 at 11:36 PM

I'm serious lp15 :p, this really doesnt work.. oh the almighty opera..

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by -dt- on 02-01-2006 at 01:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by tehGspider
IE 7 also includes a number of new features for Web developers, including support for up-and-coming Web-programming technologies known collectively as AJAX.
* -dt- laughs
:-/ they have had ajax support since who knows when hell they invented xmlhttpreqest (the thing which enables "ajax"

:-/ the only change i can see that they changed their activeX xmlhttprequest object to xmlhttprequest();

if they supported xPaths or e4x then that statement would be true or something they neeeeeed to add is the eventListener functions (addEventListener and removeEventListener )
RE: IE 7 Public BETA by ddunk on 02-01-2006 at 03:23 AM

"Internet Explorer installation did not complete.

Internet Explorer could not be installed.
Please take a look at the logs in your system directory."

Didn't see any thing in /windows, /system32 or /system. Any clue? :/

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by lrac522 on 02-01-2006 at 03:48 AM

May I be supplied with the link for the IE7 beta? Thanks(Y)

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by ddunk on 02-01-2006 at 03:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lrac522
May I be supplied with the link for the IE7 beta? Thanks(Y)

It's at the bottom of the first post.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/ie7/ie7betaredirect.mspx
RE: IE 7 Public BETA by RebelSean on 02-01-2006 at 04:16 AM

Maybe I'll try it out, would be nice to have png transparencies on top of tabbed browsing :D. Overnight download it'll be :banana:.

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by ShawnZ on 02-01-2006 at 04:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Maybe I'll try it out, would be nice to have png transparencies on top of tabbed chating :D. Overnight download it'll be :banana:.

tabbed chatting? wtf? and how is ie7 an overnight download?? and ie6 had png transparency already.
RE: IE 7 Public BETA by RebelSean on 02-01-2006 at 04:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Maybe I'll try it out, would be nice to have png transparencies on top of tabbed chating :D. Overnight download it'll be :banana:.

tabbed chatting? wtf? and how is ie7 an overnight download?? and ie6 had png transparency already.

I meant browsing, you can tell I need to go to bed. My bad. I'm on dialup so 11MB is a big download for me. Okay, not really, just a few hours but still. And IE6 doesn't have it enabled by default. You have to change a lot of settings to get it, tis what Jonathan Kay said.
RE: IE 7 Public BETA by Chestah on 02-01-2006 at 06:53 AM

"This Package doesn't not support your archtecture (32/64 bits)"

I think i'll just wait until the final release is out :)

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by ShawnZ on 02-01-2006 at 06:54 AM

quote:
And IE6 doesn't have it enabled by default.

Oh gee, I never noticed!

quote:
You have to change a lot of settings to get it

Its still there.
RE: IE 7 Public BETA by Salem on 02-01-2006 at 01:53 PM

I installed it. Works very well. I might just start using it more. The main thing that moved me to Firefox was tabbed browsing. Now all IE7 needs is support for extensions, similar to Firefox.

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by RaPLeX on 02-01-2006 at 03:10 PM

Really god.Im using it,no bug. :)

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by John Anderton on 02-01-2006 at 04:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
:lol:

That verification thing is dodgy .... its been what ... 4 years since xp's release .... most of us have exceeded the limit of that sn thingy ......
Id rather not call em, stick to FF and IE 7 Beta 1 :P

Probably there will be a bypass like IE 7 Beta 1 .... eventually

quote:
Originally posted by RaPLeX
Really god.Im using it,no bug. :)
IE has always had bugs as far as i remember ..... well most softwares do ..... but IE has had its fair share :P
RE: IE 7 Public BETA by user27089 on 02-01-2006 at 04:51 PM

I'm getting it, but I won't use it.

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by Kryptonate on 02-01-2006 at 04:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I'm getting it, but I won't use it.
and the purpose of downloading the beta when you're not gonna use it is....? ^o)
RE: IE 7 Public BETA by user27089 on 02-01-2006 at 05:03 PM

Just for it to be there, I'll use it every now and then, but only when I really need to, for certain stuff that only works in Internet Explorer.

I tried downloading it anyway, and the installer crashed :lol:.

RE: IE 7 Public BETA by John Anderton on 02-01-2006 at 05:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Just for it to be there, I'll use it every now and then, but only when I really need to, for certain stuff that only works in Internet Explorer.
Exactly what i do :cheesy:

Since there is no MP!L and snpg (equivalent) on wlm im still stuck with opening my live main on IE (also cause reading pane's aren't yet supported on other browsers and reading pane is awesome imo :P)