Shoutbox

Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? (/showthread.php?tid=55560)

Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by Lou on 02-04-2006 at 08:03 PM

Is there a way to find out what the root password for Mysql? I am running cpanel, and need the root password but have no idea what it is or where I can get it off my server. I need this for a script like phpmyadmin to manage databases.

Yes, I know phpmyadmin is installed..this is for something else. I need the root password.

RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by ShawnZ on 02-04-2006 at 08:04 PM

shared hosting, or dedicated server?

RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by Lou on 02-04-2006 at 08:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Shared atm
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by RebelSean on 02-04-2006 at 08:05 PM

quote:

Shared, as for he's on the same server as my sites are hosted.
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by ShawnZ on 02-04-2006 at 08:05 PM

then you can't get the root username or password.

RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by Lou on 02-04-2006 at 08:05 PM

quote:
There's no way I can do this at all? I would be getting a custom script from someone that would add/delete databases for my hosting, but I need the root password:S
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by ShawnZ on 02-04-2006 at 08:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
quote:
There's no way I can do this at all? I would be getting a custom script from someone that would add/delete databases for my hosting, but I need the root password:S

if you're on shared hosting, then you don't even own the mysql database, so if you had the root password, you would be able to access everyone's databases, even ones that aren't yours :/
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by Lou on 02-04-2006 at 08:07 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

if you're on shared hosting, then you don't even own the mysql database, so if you had the root password, you would be able to access everyone's databases, even ones that aren't yours :/
Alright..what about the root password for MY databases? Like to manage all louhabs_databasenamehere ?
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by ShawnZ on 02-04-2006 at 08:09 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Alright..what about the root password for MY databases? Like to manage all louhabs_databasenamehere ?

just create a second user (named "louhabs_root" or something) that has "ALL" permission to every database you've got set up.
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by Lou on 02-04-2006 at 08:09 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

just create a second user (named "louhabs_root" or something) that has "ALL" permission to every database you've got set up.
Aight thanks

edit: How do I add it to all databases? :P
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by ShawnZ on 02-04-2006 at 08:12 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Aight thanks

edit: How do I add it to all databases? :P

manually =p
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by Lou on 02-04-2006 at 08:13 PM

But how would it be able to create new databases?8-)

RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by ShawnZ on 02-04-2006 at 08:13 PM

quote:

don't think it can
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by Lou on 02-04-2006 at 08:15 PM

quote:
quote:

don't think it can
That's what I need it for though:S Would my cpanel username + password work? I think it might...
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by ShawnZ on 02-04-2006 at 08:15 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

don't think it can
That's what I need it for though:S Would my cpanel username + password work? I think it might...

don't think so...
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by Lou on 02-04-2006 at 08:16 PM

There's gotta be a way if phpmyadmin in cpanel can do it

RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by Ezra on 02-04-2006 at 08:41 PM

You should ask your hosting company if you have access to create new databases, and if you can what username+ pass you need, else you can't make a new database, you should use prefixes to seperate tables.

example: mybboard_tables or news_users

With my previous hosting I had only one database and one username, and I could not make new databases, only tables.

RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by ShawnZ on 02-04-2006 at 08:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ezra
With my previous hosting I had only one database and one username, and I could not make new databases, only tables.

He can add databases (through cpanel) but doesn't know his hosting username and pass to add them with a custom php script.
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by Ezra on 02-04-2006 at 08:56 PM

quote:
quote:

He can add databases (through cpanel) but doesn't know his hosting username and pass to add them with a custom php script.

Oh right, I see... Well did you try the cpanel user+pass already?

And is the mysql_users table visible? maybe you can see it there
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by Lou on 02-04-2006 at 10:10 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh right, I see... Well did you try the cpanel user+pass already?

And is the mysql_users table visible? maybe you can see it there
Can't see it.
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by L. Coyote on 02-04-2006 at 10:35 PM

From the MySQL CPanel manager you can add a new user and a new database and link them together. phpMyAdmin has nothing to do with it.

RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by Lou on 02-04-2006 at 10:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Leo
From the MySQL CPanel manager you can add a new user and a new database and link them together. phpMyAdmin has nothing to do with it.
I never said I couldn't do that. Please2read the thread.

I said I wanted to add new databases using a custom script, and I need the root password.
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by L. Coyote on 02-04-2006 at 10:54 PM

quote:
I said I wanted to add new databases using a custom script, and I need the root password.
Hmmm, if I recall correctly, you can log in with your hosting plan's user and password to MySQL, and add the database that way. Ask your hosting, though.
RE: Cpanel>MYSQL Root pass? by Lou on 02-04-2006 at 10:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Leo
quote:
Hmmm, if I recall correctly, you can log in with your hosting plan's user and password to MySQL, and add the database that way. Ask your hosting, though.
I did and it didn't work. If noone has a solution I will simply wait untill I get my dedicated server.