Shoutbox

Slow MSN transfers Since wireless router was installed.? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Slow MSN transfers Since wireless router was installed.? (/showthread.php?tid=55626)

Slow MSN transfers Since wireless router was installed.? by joemailey on 02-07-2006 at 12:25 PM

Hi I'm Currently using a cable 10MB connection.

When i upgraded to 10MB connection MSN/WLM file transfers were extremly faster than ever before.

I got a wireless  router     
Netgear WGT624 108Mb 802.11g Wireless Cable/DSL Router

http://www.tekheads.co.uk/s/product?product=602980

Now My PC isn't using a wireless connection, i have it wired.

PC ethernet
to
Ethernet port of wireless router(1 of 4 ports)
from
router port(WAN)
To
Cable Modem vai Ethernet again.
cable modem to Internet.

Now since then i've had very bad transfers on some occassions you get the message saying "experiencing a slow connection click here to fine out why."

Usually inicates your behind a firewall.

I Don't have the firewall enabled on My wireless router, i use only Windows XP SP2 built in Firewall.

Does anyone no of a way i can fix MSN/WLM transfers?

RE: Slow MSN transfers Since wireless router was installed.? by Reaper on 02-07-2006 at 12:39 PM

you need to forward the ports used by MSN, file sharing in this case, to your router

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

The full list of Messenger ports:
Basic text messaging/connection to Messenger server: port 1863 or 80 TCP and 443 TCP
File Transfer*: 6891-6900 TCP (this port range is not valid for MSN Messenger 6 clients sending/receiving to other MSN Messenger 6 clients)
Webcam**/*: 9000-9999 or 80 TCP
Audio*: 5004-65535 UDP
Video Conference (XP only)/Start Camera*: 5004-65535 UDP
Remote Assistance (XP only)*: 3389 TCP
Whiteboard/Application Sharing (XP only)*: 1503 TCP
Launch Site Games**: 80 TCP
* denotes features which can use Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), UPnP file transfer only available in Windows Messenger 5, MSN Messenger 5 and MSN Messenger 6
** MSN Messenger 6 feature exclusively

go to your router settings (usually by typing in 192.168.1.1 or simliar into your web browsers address bar)
locate the router manual and follow what it says on how to do it

or you can visit here : www.portforward.com

here it will tell you how to forward the ports for messenger Link
RE: Slow MSN transfers Since wireless router was installed.? by joemailey on 02-07-2006 at 12:48 PM

ah hahaha

success :-)(well it will be when i get home. )

thanks mate first time i think anyone has ever posted with the corrected information on first attempt :-)(on any forums i use)8-|

RE: Slow MSN transfers Since wireless router was installed.? by Reaper on 02-07-2006 at 12:49 PM

heh no problem (Y)

RE: Slow MSN transfers Since wireless router was installed.? by Wabz on 02-07-2006 at 04:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
ah hahaha

success :-)(well it will be when i get home. )

thanks mate first time i think anyone has ever posted with the corrected information on first attempt :-)(on any forums i use)8-|

These forums are usually pretty good for that. Especially since your question tends to be asked a lot or variances of that

RE: Slow MSN transfers Since wireless router was installed.? by joemailey on 02-07-2006 at 07:10 PM

ahaha not success lol

i followed it n it didnt work :-)

i in ICT support so setting up port forwarding was pretty simple etc.

i also tried Upnp no luck.

i'll unplug the router n try on the modem just to double check its not an msn isue at this time

RE: Slow MSN transfers Since wireless router was installed.? by joemailey on 02-07-2006 at 07:16 PM

ok unplug router used direct connection to modem works fine.

Transfered 5.5mb file in under 2mins :-)

damn routers :-)

RE: Slow MSN transfers Since wireless router was installed.? by Reaper on 02-07-2006 at 08:12 PM

first off, please dont double post, use the edit button ;)

secondly, did u follow the steps given in this link: MSN Messenger: how to forward ports? that should work

RE: Slow MSN transfers Since wireless router was installed.? by joemailey on 02-07-2006 at 08:13 PM

yes that is the easy bit :-)  done it million times for different ports.

RE: Slow MSN transfers Since wireless router was installed.? by Reaper on 02-07-2006 at 08:17 PM

did you use the forwarded the ports manually using the information i gave in my post

quote:
File Transfer*: 6891-6900 TCP (this port range is not valid for MSN Messenger 6 clients sending/receiving to other MSN Messenger 6 clients)

RE: Slow MSN transfers Since wireless router was installed.? by joemailey on 02-07-2006 at 08:20 PM

yes done prefectly

i done file ports plus the other too in the forward ports for MSN. web site link.

didnt do Webcam ports because that works fine
Audio works fine
Games are fine.

i'm on 10mb cable. used cable modem with out router worked prefectly :-)

with router supper slow speeds 30mins to transfer 5mb lol

Can add me to msn if you want to try and help me :-)

joemailey@vtsclan.com