Shoutbox

Coloring your MSN Name - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Coloring your MSN Name (/showthread.php?tid=55653)

Coloring your MSN Name by Chris4 on 02-08-2006 at 05:00 PM

I hear people in my school asking other people how to do color with Messenger Plus!. Then they tell them "type /nick then a space, then I'll send you a 'special' dot, put a number after that, then your name and press enter"

That's just a rearly long way of doing it!? It seems so complicated to do a simple task and that's one of the main reasons why people download Messenger Plus!, to get a colored MSN name. But some people don't know how to do it and when I try to tell them it sounds so complicated.

Anyone agree?

RE: Colouring your MSN Name by Plik on 02-08-2006 at 05:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
I hear people in my school asking other people how to do colour with Messenger Plus!. Then they tell them "type /nick then a space, then I'll send you a 'special' dot, put a number after that, then your name and press enter"

That's just a rearly long way of doing it!? It seems so complicated to do a simple task and that's one of the main reasons why people download Messenger Plus!, to get a coloured MSN name. But some people don't know how to do it and when I try to tell them it sounds so complicated.

Anyone agree?

How would you improve it? :-/
imo, typing /nick (which should be explained as a command to change your nickname) then pressing Ctrl+k, picking the colour i want, then typing my name is the simplest way :-/
RE: Colouring your MSN Name by Chris4 on 02-08-2006 at 05:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Plik
How would you suggest improving it (Smilie)
imo, typing /nick (which should be explained as a command to change your nickname) then pressing Ctrl+k, picking the colour i want, then typing my name is the simplest way (Smilie)

Something like this. Either like that or integrated into Messenger Plus! (preferences?) You just highlight what you want as colour, then click 'colour' and select the colour you want. Simple.

[Image: colour0by.png]
RE: Colouring your MSN Name by Sunshine on 02-08-2006 at 05:37 PM

quote:
...and when I try to tell them it sounds so complicated.
Shortest, very clear (imo) instruction:
Open a conversation window, type:/nick<space><ctrl+k><typenewnickhere><enter>
RE: RE: Colouring your MSN Name by BlackCat on 02-09-2006 at 12:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
quote:

Still sounds too complicated for some people, but this is indeed the simplest way, imo aswell.
RE: Colouring your MSN Name by Chris4 on 02-09-2006 at 10:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BlackCat
quote:
quote:

Still sounds too complicated for some people, but this is indeed the simplest way, imo aswell.

I no alot of people who wouldn't understand that but would understand my idea (A)
RE: RE: Colouring your MSN Name by BlackCat on 02-09-2006 at 10:42 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I no alot of people who wouldn't understand that but would understand my idea (A)

Well, maybe if Ctrl + K would also work when pressing your name in the main screen and by options, that that would be a good idea...
RE: Colouring your MSN Name by Chris4 on 02-09-2006 at 11:13 PM

quote:
Well, maybe if Ctrl + K would also work when pressing your name in the main screen and by options, that that would be a good idea...

Agreed.
RE: Colouring your MSN Name by J.J on 02-10-2006 at 04:56 AM

I agree. It's very hard for those who don't understand much about computers.

quote:

For people without computer knowledge, it isnt easy for them (even if it looks simple to us), especially if they don't know anybody who could help them understand.

Fair enough, you could say they have the tutorials with pictures, but i know that some of my friends (who aren't very good with computers) struggle to understand how to do things like that.

quote:

Something like this. Either like that or integrated into Messenger Plus! (preferences?) You just highlight what you want as colour, then click 'colour' and select the colour you want. Simple.

I like that alot. Good suggestion.
RE: Colouring your MSN Name by _James_ on 02-12-2006 at 05:50 PM

i found the ctrl + k way very simple and easy to remember

works well, i made a programme once that did this for you and you could use html colours and stuff :P

RE: Colouring your MSN Name by supersam [REBELLE] on 02-17-2006 at 04:53 PM

·$ type those two signs followed by a number from 1-9.
the number is each time a different colour

RE: Colouring your MSN Name by Zahid™ on 02-17-2006 at 08:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by supersam [REBELLE
]·$ type those two signs followed by a number from 1-9.
the number is each time a different colour

That is the hard way of doing it. Do it this way:
Open a conversation window, type: /nick
<press space> <press ctrl+k><type new nick here><then press enter>

RE: Colouring your MSN Name by danmorell on 02-19-2006 at 12:13 AM

I am a very computer literate person. I know a lot about messenger plus! but i gotta say, the one thing i have never been able to understand is colours in names!! I found a website with numbers for each colour like this $35 etc i bookmarked it and i use that site to make a one colour name! i juts type $45 (myname) in the box and OK it! i dunno how to use the silly commands on messenger plus very well :(

RE: Colouring your MSN Name by user27089 on 02-19-2006 at 12:47 AM

http://www.msgplus.net/help_tutorials.php?tut=mul...at-colors#mfc-name

RE: Colouring your MSN Name by Uzumaki Naruto on 02-21-2006 at 02:41 PM

can our nickname br BOLD or ITALIC

RE: Colouring your MSN Name by Sunshine on 02-21-2006 at 02:54 PM

How can I put colors and text style in my name?

RE: RE: Colouring your MSN Name by BigGunner on 02-25-2006 at 12:05 AM

quote:
quote:
How would you suggest improving it (Smilie)
imo, typing /nick (which should be explained as a command to change your nickname) then pressing Ctrl+k, picking the colour i want, then typing my name is the simplest way (Smilie)

In my msn (7.5 with MsgPlus version 3.62) there is no colour link next to my nickname spot as identified in your picture.

RE: Colouring your MSN Name by Reaper on 02-25-2006 at 12:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BigGunner
In my msn (7.5 with MsgPlus version 3.62) there is no colour link next to my nickname spot as identified in your picture.
thats becuase he editted a screenshot to show that. it doesnt actually exist
RE: Colouring your MSN Name by Nathan on 02-25-2006 at 09:09 AM

Yer but obviosly if we were going to do it we wouldt have "colour" in text maybe in a button?
Nice idea

RE: Colouring your MSN Name by hlebeau on 02-28-2006 at 11:26 PM

ok.. so i did what you said.

/nick <space> <control + K> blah blha blah

but the control+K didnt' work. It didn't come up with the colour selction thingy. I know i've dont nothing wrong.

Is the colour nickname a plug-in to Plus! ?
~ Heather

RE: Colouring your MSN Name by Plik on 02-28-2006 at 11:35 PM

Open the plus preferences
Go to the message helpers panel
then click Commands and keys and make sure this option is checked:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=611282]

RE: Colouring your MSN Name by hlebeau on 02-28-2006 at 11:51 PM

see thats the point. it is checked. I use it all the time in my converstations. But it simply wont work when i am in "personal settings"

~Heather

RE: Colouring your MSN Name by Plik on 02-28-2006 at 11:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hlebeau
see thats the point. it is checked. I use it all the time in my converstations. But it simply wont work when i am in "personal settings"

~Heather

Oh you're trying to use that in messenger preferences?

You can only use /nick and ctrl + k and all of plus' other features in a conversation window. The picture that chris4 made was to demonstrate his idea.
RE: Colouring your MSN Name by hlebeau on 03-01-2006 at 12:50 AM

does that mean to have a colourful nick that i have to do that everytime i start anew converstation??

RE: Colouring your MSN Name by MC Inferno on 03-01-2006 at 02:14 AM

no, all ya cnov's wil have a coloured nick

i really think that colour thing should be done yes. it takes the piss explaining it to ppl turst me, i dont tell em no more, i jus go "dunno, my mate dun it" haha

RE: Coloring your MSN Name by riahc4 on 03-04-2006 at 10:18 AM

OK. Let me explain

1. Coloring your nickname is NOT offcially supported by Plus!. Lets make that clear

If you want a easier way to do it, download the ColorNickv2 plugin. Its been translated in different languages so you wont have to worry about not understanding.

RE: Coloring your MSN Name by Plik on 03-04-2006 at 12:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
OK. Let me explain

1. Coloring your nickname is NOT offcially supported by Plus!. Lets make that clear

If you want a easier way to do it, download the ColorNickv2 plugin. Its been translated in different languages so you wont have to worry about not understanding.

:|
Wtf are you on about, of course colouring your nick is supported by plus, its one of plus' features ffs. Where did you get the impression that its not officially supported :-/
RE: Coloring your MSN Name by shadowdevil on 03-04-2006 at 10:19 PM

i think it was /nick, then press ctrl K it, pick color, then type what u wana say, then send it in instant message, NOT IN PERSONAL SETTING. PRETEND UR TALKING TO SOME1. SEND IT LIKE THAT

RE: Coloring your MSN Name by Chris4 on 03-05-2006 at 01:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by shadowdevil
i think it was /nick, then press ctrl K it, pick color, then type what u wana say, then send it in instant message, NOT IN PERSONAL SETTING. PRETEND UR TALKING TO SOME1. SEND IT LIKE THAT

quote:
My point in creating this thread was because it shouldn't be so complicated to colour your MSN nickname using Messenger Plus!. You shouldn't have to download a plug-in just to do that. It should come as standard with Messenger Plus!

I sent an e-mail to Patchou with my idea, hopefully I'll get a reply :)
RE: Coloring your MSN Name by CookieRevised on 03-05-2006 at 09:10 AM

tbh, (and also from the POV of a noob) you're making it much harder than it actually is...

The only thing new people should be learning is that /nick is a command and that Plus! commands are given in a conversation window.

After that it is self-explaining...

And for those who even don't understand that I would suggest to train a bit in handling a computer. Because, if this isn't understood I really wonder what they are doing with a computer. It is basic computer knowledge.

And for those people, the suggestion of Chris4 will not help either as they would be clicking like hell on the "color" button and nothing will happen as they, of course, forget to first select the part they wish to color...

Not to mention, what are you going to do when they want to color the background instead of the foreground? What if they want it bold, or italic or underlined? etc... etc... are you going to implement a whole series of buttons for that? It will make thing far more complicated (not to mention messy GUI) in the end than it really is...

If people don't understand how to use a command (and that a command is always followed by a space...  every command in whatever program, OS or environment), they wouldn't also understand how to use 75% of all the stuff in Plus!.

-

Nevertheless, the option to use IRC style shortcuts directly in the preferences of the nickname textbox Messenger is a good suggestion (although not easy to implement).

RE: Coloring your MSN Name by riahc4 on 03-07-2006 at 04:32 PM

quote:
quote:
OK. Let me explain

:|
Wtf are you on about, of course colouring your nick is supported by plus, its one of plus' features ffs. Where did you get the impression that its not officially supported :-/
Patchou said in the old FAQ that coloring your nickname was never suppose to be supported in Plus! This is just a added feature that "works".