Shoutbox

Different RAM - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Different RAM (/showthread.php?tid=55712)

Different RAM by Chris4 on 02-10-2006 at 10:47 PM

Are there any problems with having 2 different amount of RAM?

For example, a 256mb and 512mb. Total 768.
Is it OK to do that? Because soemone once told me it's not and you don't hear many people saying they have "768mb of ram"?

Also, while on the topic, I have 512mb's of RAM, but it says I have 480mb's of RAM? Why is this? Something to do with my graphics card? I have an onboard NVIDEA graphics card.

Thanks in advance. :D

RE: Different RAM by Dempsey on 02-10-2006 at 10:54 PM

I think its only certain types of older RAM that had to go in pairs, but I can't remember what type.

I think most modern RAM you can just use whatever, I have a 512 and a 256 in one of my PCs

RE: Different RAM by prashker on 02-10-2006 at 10:55 PM

Talking about this

I have 2 "256mb" PC133's in my pc at the moment

I have 2 out of 3 slots filled

If I put in a PC133 "128mb" Ram piece in the last slot will it work?

RE: Different RAM by Voldemort on 02-10-2006 at 10:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
512mb's of RAM, but it says I have 480mb's of RAM?

i have the same problem, but my graphics card is intel, i have been searching, but i couldnt find any solution or info...
yes, you can have 768 of ram, ive seen pcs like that, my old pc has 288 mbs:P

EDIT: after another search, a guy in another forum says it may be because 32 are for video... but the video card has another 128 megs so :S
RE: Different RAM by Caboose on 02-10-2006 at 11:58 PM

1. It's alright to have 2 different sizes of RAM (256 MB, 512 MB) - just make sure they're both the same type (DDR, SDRAM, DDR2)

2. All integrated/onboard graphics use some system RAM as Video RAM (afaik)

RE: Different RAM by Voldemort on 02-11-2006 at 12:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
2. All integrated/onboard graphics use some system RAM as Video RAM (afaik)

even tho the video card has its own ram?
RE: Different RAM by ShawnZ on 02-11-2006 at 12:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
even tho the video card has its own ram?

if its onboard, its not a card and doesn't have its own ram...

RE: Different RAM by Voldemort on 02-11-2006 at 12:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

its supposed to have it... meh :P
RE: Different RAM by [MR] on 02-11-2006 at 01:08 AM

well i have the same problem as well and the video card isnt integrated with the motherboard and i have 2 256's which should make 512 but it shows like 480...

RE: Different RAM by Lou on 02-11-2006 at 01:13 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
512mb's of RAM, but it says I have 480mb's of RAM?

i have the same problem, but my graphics card is intel, i have been searching, but i couldnt find any solution or info...
yes, you can have 768 of ram, ive seen pcs like that, my old pc has 288 mbs:P

EDIT: after another search, a guy in another forum says it may be because 32 are for video... but the video card has another 128 megs so :S
I had that problem and when I installed a not onboard built gfx card the problem was fixed.lol

on a side note, my ram company is Hyundai ^o) edit2: and I have a kingston 512 mb also.
RE: Different RAM by Voldemort on 02-11-2006 at 02:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
is Hyundai (Smilie)

thats a korean car company. :P haha...
unfortunately.... i have a laptop :P so i cant
RE: RE: Different RAM by Chris4 on 02-11-2006 at 03:31 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lou_habs
is Hyundai (Smilie)

thats a korean car company. :P haha...

That's why he said it [Image: troutslap.gif]

:P
RE: RE: Different RAM by rav0 on 02-11-2006 at 03:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR]
well i have the same problem as well and the video card isnt integrated with the motherboard and i have 2 256's which should make 512 but it shows like 480...

Even if you are using a proper graphics card, if the motherboard has integrated graphics, there will be a portion of system RAM allocated to the integrated graphics. You can go into your motherboard settings and tell it to allocate 0 MB of system RAM to the integrated graphics.
RE: Different RAM by Adeptus on 02-11-2006 at 04:10 AM

Hi,

quote:
Are there any problems with having 2 different amount of RAM?  For example, a 256mb and 512mb. Total 768.

For most computers in use today, no.  It's a pretty safe bet that includes yours. 

With that said many, of the same computers can derive some performance benefit (dual channel mode or at least interleaving) when the memory is installed in even matched pairs, so you should try to do it when you can.  If it's not economical to do so, don't worry about it. 

quote:
I have 512mb's of RAM, but it says I have 480mb's of RAM? Why is this? Something to do with my graphics card

Correct.  Graphics requires RAM.  Chipsets with integrated GPU use part of main system memory for it, which takes it away from all other uses.

quote:

While generally true, there's nothing magic about placing components on a card rather than soldering them to the board.  There have been some motherboards that had a full-blown separate graphics chipset and a set amount of video RAM incorporated on the board, but yes -- that's quite rare.

RE: Different RAM by Chris4 on 02-13-2006 at 02:21 AM

Thanks guys :D

RE: Different RAM by Ghost_Stalker on 02-13-2006 at 09:55 PM

If you have an integrated video card, it'll take your system ram as mentioned above. However, if you install a PCI or AGP video card, make sure that you set your BIOS to search the AGP or the PCI slot first to look for the video card. Usually if you install a seperate video card, the BIOS shuts off the integraded one, freeing up that memory back to Windows.

In some BIOS' you can also disable the onboard video altogether.

You can also have different speeds and sizes of RAM in PC's these days. Just as long as you don't try to mix DDR, DDR2 and DDR3 in the same PC. That won't work! LOL