Shoutbox

DVD-RW burner help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: DVD-RW burner help (/showthread.php?tid=55822)

DVD-RW burner help by Th3rmal on 02-14-2006 at 07:02 AM

i have an issue with my dvd burner in which i need help with.  my computer recognises it as a DVD-RW drive but it cannot create/read dvd images when im burning something. while it is creating the image it say that reading the disk failed. it also has problems reading dvds (ex. when i put a dvd in it reads it as a cd) i hav installed nero 6 suite and installed it again when it wasnt working but it just wont fix the problems. i have checked on the manufacturers site and the drivers i found where only for  windows 98 because "...Windows ME/2000/XP do not require any drivers, as they will install the USB Adapter Cable's driver automatically...". My dvd burner is a Dual Layer Liteonit SHW-1635s.

any quick help and help in general would be appreciated as i am really desperate

RE: DVD-RW burner help by Ghost_Stalker on 02-14-2006 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
i have an issue with my dvd burner in which i need help with.  my computer recognises it as a DVD-RW drive but it cannot create/read dvd images when im burning something. while it is creating the image it say that reading the disk failed. it also has problems reading dvds (ex. when i put a dvd in it reads it as a cd) i hav installed nero 6 suite and installed it again when it wasnt working but it just wont fix the problems. i have checked on the manufacturers site and the drivers i found where only for  windows 98 because "...Windows ME/2000/XP do not require any drivers, as they will install the USB Adapter Cable's driver automatically...". My dvd burner is a Dual Layer Liteonit SHW-1635s.

any quick help and help in general would be appreciated as i am really desperate

You are using it in a 3.5" USB 2.0 External Enclosure right? 'cause thats what it sounds like. What kinda PC are you using with said DVD burner? Is it a notebook, or a desktop? Also what operating system are you using? It might not be the software on your PC, but the enclosure itself. If its a desktop PC, I'd try and put the burner into the PC and connect it to the motherboard (if it is a desktop, why not do that anyway). If you get the same results, then I'd say its a defective drive. If it works properly, then its your External USB enclosure!

I also looked here: http://tdb.rpc1.org/ for a firmware upgrade for the burner, but there isn't one. This is a great site to download official and even beta firmwares for various optical drives!
RE: DVD-RW burner help by Th3rmal on 02-15-2006 at 05:02 AM

its an internal desktop pc burner, im using xp sp2

RE: DVD-RW burner help by Ghost_Stalker on 02-15-2006 at 05:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rm rulz
its an internal desktop pc burner, im using xp sp2

So its inside your PC then? If thats the case, I'd try a different IDE cable. Make sure its an 80-pin cable though (80-wire, whatever). The cable is going to have small bumps on it, as opposed to the 40-wire IDE cables which have large bumps
RE: DVD-RW burner help by YottabyteWizard on 02-15-2006 at 07:10 AM

Uninstall -> Restart -> Reinstall
Also check on device manager -> IDE Atapi Controllers -> Double click on Primary or Secundary Channel (depending where is connected) -> Advanced Settings -> Check the device is on DMA mode and not in PIO.
If it is in PIO change to DMA, and if it is already in DMA but it says on the status PIO, change to PIO and then back to DMA. Restart PC.

RE: DVD-RW burner help by Th3rmal on 02-18-2006 at 02:02 AM

wat should i uninstall?

RE: DVD-RW burner help by YottabyteWizard on 02-18-2006 at 07:00 AM

DVDRW drive

RE: DVD-RW burner help by Th3rmal on 02-18-2006 at 11:21 PM

can you please explain how? im not very good at this. if u mean Nero then i hav already tried this

RE: DVD-RW burner help by Hank on 02-18-2006 at 11:41 PM

shouldnt need to uninstall an reinstall a DvDRW just to fix this, have you looked on the liteonit website at troubleshooting?

RE: DVD-RW burner help by YottabyteWizard on 02-19-2006 at 08:14 AM

Well probably there's an error in the recognition of the drive, what I was trying to say is to uninstall the drivers and files from Windows Device Manager, so Windows (when it reboots) 'FINDS A NEW HARDWARE' and installs again detects the drive and reinstalls the files.i I think it could work.