Shoutbox

[Social & Educational Studies] Need Some Urgent Help.. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: [Social & Educational Studies] Need Some Urgent Help.. (/showthread.php?tid=55888)

[Social & Educational Studies] Need Some Urgent Help.. by albert on 02-15-2006 at 03:14 PM

Okay.. so here is what I need..

I need a question, related to instant messaging, for a persuasive essay.

It has to be large enough so I can debate it with 4000 words.. To be quite honest I have the feeling I'm kind of screwed.. but yeah.. I said I'd make a try here.. And if you guys had like 3 specific arguments that could go with your question, don't be shy to post it.

Thanks a lot, really appreciate it..

**** EDIT : I think I got my question!!! :D

Thanks to adj for discussing the whole thing with me :D

here it is :

"Does Instant Messaging Have A Positive Or Negative Impact On Student Teenagers?"

One problem is the fact that I am not able to find a third aspect which I could debate :(

I have gotten these two aspects.. :

-Educational Program
-Social Life
-???

But what could be the third..? help plz! :sad:

********** EDIT 2  :

Okay, I found the third aspect, thx to everyone who helped. I am now wondering if anyone knows of any studies done on effects of IM on school grades or social life.

Thanks a lot!!!

RE: Need Some Urgent Help.. by user27089 on 02-15-2006 at 03:20 PM

Couldn't it be something like, why instant messaging isn't as unsafe as many people perceive it to be, and with the current protection on computers today, it is even safer than it has ever been?

RE: Need Some Urgent Help.. by albert on 02-15-2006 at 03:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Couldn't it be something like, why instant messaging isn't as unsafe as many people perceive it to be, and with the current protection on computers today, it is even safer than it has ever been?

I like the idea, but I personally don't have the knowledge to be able to go into that kind of details.. It's too technical for me to be able to proove right or wrong.. :S
RE: Need Some Urgent Help.. by fishybobbins on 02-15-2006 at 03:42 PM

How about "Does Instant Messaging has a negative effect on peoples social skills?"

RE: Need Some Urgent Help.. by albert on 02-15-2006 at 03:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by fishybobbins
How about "Does Instant Messaging has a negative effect on peoples social skills?"

I am just talking about that with adj, the thing is, is this question big enough to fit 4000 words? and what could possibly be 3 huge argument to proove that right or wrong?

EDIT : I think I got my question!!! :D

Thanks to adj for discussing the whole thing with me :D

here it is :

"Does Instant Messaging Have A Positive Or Negative Impact On Student Teenagers?"

One problem is the fact that I am not able to find a third aspect which I could debate :(

I have gotten these two aspects.. :

-Educational Program
-Social Life
-???

But what could be the third..? help plz! :sad:

RE: [Searching For 1 Aspect] Need Some Urgent Help.. by user27089 on 02-15-2006 at 05:08 PM

Weight problems? :p.

RE: [Searching For 1 Aspect] Need Some Urgent Help.. by albert on 02-15-2006 at 05:11 PM

quote:
Weight problems? :p.

Could be.. but I don't know why I don't feel like getting into this really lol. How could I proove/"disproove" that weight problems are caused by IM?
RE: [Searching For 1 Aspect] Need Some Urgent Help.. by user27089 on 02-15-2006 at 05:12 PM

How about vocabulary problems etc. (if that's the right word). So instead of people actually laughing in 'reality', they actually say "lol" or "laugh my f**king ass off".

RE: [Searching For 1 Aspect] Need Some Urgent Help.. by albert on 02-15-2006 at 05:50 PM

quote:
How about vocabulary problems etc. (if that's the right word). So instead of people actually laughing in 'reality', they actually say "lol" or "laugh my f**king ass off".

This will be included in the Educational Program
RE: [Searching For 1 Aspect] Need Some Urgent Help.. by stoshrocket on 02-15-2006 at 07:23 PM

health? you could go into the facts of sitting looking at a monitor has been related to certain types of eye cancer, then you could go into the exercise area where instead of going out and typically playing football (or just getting some fresh air) could be ruining our life styles, then you could link this with Trax's weight issue as well....

RE: [Searching For 1 Aspect] Need Some Urgent Help.. by lordy on 02-15-2006 at 09:14 PM

there was a report released by PEW Internet, it was posted on mess.be, as to how the internet has affected peoples social network, etc, you might want to read that and source it?
it can be found here:

http://www.pewinternet.org/pdfs/PIP_Internet_ties.pdf

RE: [Searching For 1 Aspect] Need Some Urgent Help.. by ayjay on 02-15-2006 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
Thanks to adj for discussing the whole thing with me
:banana: np :P

*ajd :P
RE: [Searching For 1 Aspect] Need Some Urgent Help.. by albert on 02-15-2006 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lordy16
there was a report released by PEW Internet, it was posted on mess.be, as to how the internet has affected peoples social network, etc, you might want to read that and source it?
it can be found here:

OMG..:| I (L) U!!

This is just perfect, seriously, might take me a few hours to read but it's perfect!! If you guys have anything else like that, don't be shy to point me in that directions.
RE: [Searching For 1 Aspect] Need Some Urgent Help.. by wj on 02-16-2006 at 12:17 AM

Go for the "Instant Messaging is a technology that promotes proper typing skills and is used it Corporations (both large and small)"

RE: [Searching For 1 Aspect] Need Some Urgent Help.. by albert on 02-16-2006 at 01:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
Go for the "Instant Messaging is a technology that promotes proper typing skills and is used it Corporations (both large and small)"

that would be truly hard to convice!!

But it's okay I found my third aspect, thanks anyways :)
RE: [Social & Educational Studies] Need Some Urgent Help.. by Fanta on 02-16-2006 at 08:36 AM

You could also go for a more personal aspect than IMing being used in corporations and proper typing.  Lot's of kids have so friggin many windows open that IMing is bound to boost anyones multitasking skills, which might be better fitting on the educational part.

RE: [Social & Educational Studies] Need Some Urgent Help.. by lordy on 02-16-2006 at 09:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
quote:
Originally posted by lordy16
it can be found here:

OMG..:| I (L) U!!

This is just perfect, seriously, might take me a few hours to read but it's perfect!! If you guys have anything else like that, don't be shy to point me in that directions.
laf. you're welcome :P I read it and found it really fascinating, its stuff we did in psychology last year, like social groups and stuff like that and i just love psychology sooo much