Shoutbox

Custom font in a webpage - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Custom font in a webpage (/showthread.php?tid=55889)

Custom font in a webpage by zaher1988 on 02-15-2006 at 04:07 PM

Hey

i'm creating a page with Kappa font which is a custom one, so can't be found in all the computers.

as you know, the browser will use the default fonts instead of this, if it couldn't find the kappa font file.

so i tried to use Microsoft WEFT but it's seems it's not working anymore with IE 6.0 and also it's not supported by the other browsers.

umm does anyof you has an easier way?

regards

RE: Custom font in a webpage by albert on 02-15-2006 at 04:24 PM

I remember having asked once for something about that subject. I remember cookierevised had answered me it was always best to have a simple font that comes loaded on the surfer's computer already, as "verdana" or "tahoma".

If I recall correctly, the argument given was the fact that these fonts are totally readable without any problems.

Of course if you really want to have that font displayed, you could simply host it on your site, and ask your visitors to download it and install it.

RE: Custom font in a webpage by John Anderton on 02-15-2006 at 04:27 PM

This method is only possible if the font kappa is present on everyone's hdd's font folder (ie the font is installed on their pc)
Else it is not possible so you could just add a footnote saying "For best experience please download and install the font Kappa"

Or if that page says,"Best viewed in Firefox at 1024x768" then you could add "with the font Kappa"

Obviously you have to link to that font for download, preferably in a zip archive :)

RE: Custom font in a webpage by zaher1988 on 02-15-2006 at 04:32 PM

Ow that;s really unporfessional :S !!
it's a big financial company

read here, the Portable Font Resources  type isn't any more supported by the provided site.

and the sec is the one i talked about.

if nothing helped, is there anyway to download it automaticly :S !! i know it may considered as spyware by some programs !! or maybe i'm wrong

RE: Custom font in a webpage by leito on 02-15-2006 at 04:47 PM

Then, don't do it in HTML, do it in Flash or something else that allows you to use your font.

I think the "host the font" solution isn't unprofessional. They gave you the best solution.

RE: Custom font in a webpage by zaher1988 on 02-15-2006 at 05:20 PM

quote:
Then, don't do it in HTML, do it in Flash or something else that allows you to use your font.

i have already done for them a flash version!!
i need to fix the html !!

see ya
RE: Custom font in a webpage by leito on 02-15-2006 at 05:26 PM

there is no need to use "!! " after all you write.

You should let you see the site, maybe we could give you a better advice then...

RE: Custom font in a webpage by zaher1988 on 02-15-2006 at 05:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by leito
there is no need to use "!! " after all you write.
i'm  used to that :P heheh :S

ok i ;m about to upload the site, and i will inform you.

regards