Shoutbox

Blu-ray - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Blu-ray (/showthread.php?tid=55988)

Blu-ray by rlineker on 02-18-2006 at 09:47 AM

anybody heard of bluray discs. i have but want to know when they are coming out because iwant 25gb of storage on a disc!!

RE: Blu-ray by Nathan on 02-18-2006 at 09:55 AM

The Playstation 3 Is having a blue ray driver
Go here for info on blue rays discs

RE: Blu-ray by user27089 on 02-18-2006 at 10:46 AM

I doubt they will be coming out for another year or so, and when they do come out, they'll probably be quite expensive, and you'll have to buy new hardware to actually run them.

RE: Blu-ray by surfichris on 02-18-2006 at 11:14 AM

They'll be out in (US) Spring 2006 - at least that is what they said at the CES this year.

Yes, you need new hardware.

Discs will be around $23 - well those are the prices Sony has set for their titles they have already planned for release

They will, at the time of launch, retail for around $1,000 for a standard player and up to $1,800 for a "deluxe" player. Of course, you'll be able to pick up some cheaper, but then you're sacrificing possibly quality.

They'll get cheaper, just like DVD Players did, when they become popular.

RE: Blu-ray by mad_onion on 02-18-2006 at 03:37 PM

well theres hd-dvd too i hope people havent forgotten about it :) they cant fit as much on them as blu-ray but when has that every been important in a format war lol (vhs vs betamax)

RE: Blu-ray by YottabyteWizard on 02-18-2006 at 07:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mad_onion
well theres hd-dvd too i hope people havent forgotten about it :) they cant fit as much on them as blu-ray but when has that every been important in a format war lol (vhs vs betamax)

I still have a VHS and BETA player and some movies in there :D

Blu-ray > HD-DVD
RE: Blu-ray by ShawnZ on 02-18-2006 at 07:57 PM

Ten bucks says there will be "home dvd to bluray conversion kits", since it's the same thing with a smaller track and different laser.

RE: RE: Blu-ray by mad_onion on 02-21-2006 at 04:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
I still have a VHS and BETA player and some movies in there :D

Blu-ray > HD-DVD

i dont disagree with you that blu ray is superior to hd dvd but im just saying that it doesnt matter which one is better to consumers in terms of how much data it can hold all that matters is price and hd dvd is cheaper. the exact same thing happened with beta max, its technically superior but lost anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
Ten bucks says there will be "home dvd to bluray conversion kits", since it's the same thing with a smaller track and different laser.

well you might be right there but it wont be real high definition just upscaled which doesnt look anywhere near as good.
RE: Blu-ray by Ezra on 02-21-2006 at 05:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ

I don't think it will be that easy to convert a dvd player to blu-ray player cause blu-ray uses a different encryption method (AACS and BD+) than DVD (CSS). And HDCP encryption for HDMI