Shoutbox

Suggest: Temporary block - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Suggest: Temporary block (/showthread.php?tid=56010)

Suggest: Temporary block by PktLoss on 02-19-2006 at 12:20 AM

Hi, first my apologies if this has been requested to death, the keywords i tried to search with wern't very fruitfull.

Anyways, ocasionally you get fed up with someone who is just being a jerk, so it would be usefull to be able to give them a 'time out' and block them for a selectable amount of time (6,12,24 hours, two days, a week, etc). At which time Messenger Plus would automatically remove the block for you.

Win-Win, you get left alone long enough for the annoyance to wear off, and you don't accidentally end up leaving someone blocked forever.

thanks
paul

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by NiteMare on 02-19-2006 at 01:30 AM

interesting, would the amounts be selectable by the user, or only beable to select certian pre-set times

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by ShawnZ on 02-19-2006 at 01:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
ould the amounts be selectable by the user, or only beable to select certian pre-set times
well thats really up to patchou to decide isn't it =p

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by NiteMare on 02-19-2006 at 02:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ShawnZ
quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
ould the amounts be selectable by the user, or only beable to select certian pre-set times
well thats really up to patchou to decide isn't it =p

well i know that, i mean he had an idea of the what he wanted i'm just trying to picture what he's takling about
RE: Suggest: Temporary block by qgroessl on 02-19-2006 at 02:20 AM

I like the idea :p.... That way I wouldn't forget to unblock them.

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by PktLoss on 02-19-2006 at 02:23 AM

I'm imaging a selectable list with some pre-sets (6,12,24,48hours) or "Other" in which case the user would get an input box asking them to enter an amount.

code:
Temporary Block ->  6 Hours
               | -> 12 Hours
               | -> 24 Hours
               | -> 48 Hours
               | -> 1 Week
               | -> Other

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by NiteMare on 02-19-2006 at 05:46 AM

hmm i vote yes on this idea, its kinda like a ban:P

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by John Anderton on 02-19-2006 at 07:38 AM

But if someone is being annoying on my list i just shout at them and if they are a pain i perma block em. There isnt one person on my list that i remember blocking and then unblocking so eh :P

But the idea seems good. Kinda like a forum ban :P But it would screw up if you had the wrong system time while giving the ban and you correct it later :P

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by Wabz on 02-19-2006 at 10:51 PM

That sounds like a pretty cool idea, I hope Patchou looks into this.

A function like /tempblock email time , would be pretty cool it saves me having to unblock idiots :P

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by Patchou on 02-20-2006 at 12:00 AM

You'll be able to do that easily with the new scripting interface of Messenger Plus! Live :),

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by Supersonicdarky on 02-20-2006 at 12:13 AM

maybe something like /block 10h 5m or /block 15y :P

i would definately use this :)

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by Hank on 02-20-2006 at 12:41 AM

it would be a usefull featiure, i'd deff use it

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by K.Rishi on 02-20-2006 at 01:32 AM

hmm.. interesting.. but why all the extra type work :P theres that small icon right on the chat window itself :p just a small click away and u can block someone for however long as u wish :p just a click of a button! :D

RE: RE: Suggest: Temporary block by Supersonicdarky on 02-20-2006 at 01:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by K.Rishi
hmm.. interesting.. but why all the extra type work :P theres that small icon right on the chat window itself :p just a small click away and u can block someone for however long as u wish :p just a click of a button! :D

just so you wouldnt forget, because when your contact list doesnt fit on your screen and you cant see everyone online, you can forget to unblock them (happens to me all the time)
RE: RE: RE: Suggest: Temporary block by K.Rishi on 02-20-2006 at 01:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Supersonicdarky
quote:

just so you wouldnt forget, because when your contact list doesnt fit on your screen and you cant see everyone online, you can forget to unblock them (happens to me all the time)

ahh.. that is a very special case indeed :) but in that case how many people would you really want to block at a time! i'm just saying.. because.. why all the extra coding work for patchou, when it really doesn't take much energy to keep track of who ur blocking and when u want to unblock them (H) But i understand ur point ;).. it really would depend on patchou though :-#
RE: Suggest: Temporary block by qgroessl on 02-20-2006 at 04:12 AM

quote:
it really would depend on patchou though 
quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
You'll be able to do that easily with the new scripting interface of Messenger Plus! Live ,

:p I feel like I'm the only one who saw that... lol.
RE: Suggest: Temporary block by Patchou on 02-20-2006 at 06:53 AM

Yeah I was just thinking the same thing.... but go ahead and continue to talk about it if you like ;).

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by ~INVASION~ on 02-20-2006 at 09:05 AM

very good idea, would love to give ppl time outs:P

it would be funny too if it said on there screen,

you are on a time out for [time remaining]

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by linx05 on 02-20-2006 at 09:14 AM

Yeah, I was going to say any of the plugin developers out there who decided to make this would have a hit on their hands. Perhaps they should wait till the new Messenger Plus! Live.

...Or make a version for both versions?

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by Wabz on 02-20-2006 at 12:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05
Yeah, I was going to say any of the plugin developers out there who decided to make this would have a hit on their hands. Perhaps they should wait till the new Messenger Plus! Live.

...Or make a version for both versions?

Seem PlusLive will have a scripting interface so it should be pretty easy to do so
RE: Suggest: Temporary block by Idium on 02-20-2006 at 06:43 PM

i think its a very good idea, and would be easyly done with scripting, but for the scriptualy inept how would they do it?

RE: RE: Suggest: Temporary block by CookieRevised on 02-20-2006 at 06:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Idium
i think its a very good idea, and would be easyly done with scripting, but for the scriptualy inept how would they do it?
Without scripting it can't be done automatically.

Though, with the current Plus! API it is also very easly doable (blocking can be easly be done by parsing the /block command back to Plus!, but unblocking must be done by manipulating the Messenger API directly), you don't need to wait for the new Plus! Live API for that...
RE: Suggest: Temporary block by stoshrocket on 02-20-2006 at 07:53 PM

well either way, its an ace idea, i'd definately use it, it'd shut people up  but they wouldn't fall out with me totally becuase its only a time-out and not a perma ban.... :)

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by absorbation on 02-20-2006 at 08:18 PM

Yes, the idea is good, although I doubt there is such a huge demand. Nice feature to add though.

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by Idium on 02-22-2006 at 08:42 PM

i defonitely use it... there been dozens of time that i wish that i could temparyly use the block without fogeting to unblock

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by Patchou on 02-22-2006 at 09:26 PM

It is possible to do this with the current api bu it qill require you to create a dll and understand how the api works. The scripting interface will be far easier to understand and it will be much faster to achieve your goals with it.

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by simsgenius on 02-22-2006 at 10:04 PM

i think this will be good.

if it's not included with the official thing (it should be cause you sound like it won't be that hard) then someone should make it as a plugin or even a plugin for the current version while we wait.

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by Menthix on 02-22-2006 at 10:54 PM

:bow: SCRIPTING!!!!!! :bow:.... That suggestion is so old :O I don't think the original thread exsist anymore :p. Love it already :D

RE: Suggest: Temporary block by Eddie on 02-22-2006 at 11:54 PM

Cool, I have a feeling this tool would come in very handy with a few people on my msn list thats for sure hehe :)