Shoutbox

SOLVED what is happening? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: SOLVED what is happening? (/showthread.php?tid=56085)

SOLVED what is happening? by [MR] on 02-21-2006 at 03:20 AM

I am working on a Computer for TylerG.  It is his old crap dell computer.  he had a thread about this a while back. here this the origianl thread about itSo i decided to change power supplies since that was a possible problem.  So i did and the problem seems even worse.  now I cant set it on its side and let it stay on, it seems to turn off faster.  is this a mobo problem or what?  there arnt any visible explosians and there were tooth pics holding the heat sinker in tighter since it was so loose.  the computer turns off after like a minute or 2 of it being on.  thanks.

RE: what is happening? by Val on 02-21-2006 at 03:29 AM

Him... maybe some of your modem cables are brent in a way that they are losing conection (torn, plastic melted ect.). Also check if everything is really ok with the computer's insides and check if any of the fans computer fans only work if they a tilted.

I really don't know this hardware stuff but I am tring to help ;)

RE: what is happening? by [MR] on 02-21-2006 at 03:32 AM

everthing is connected proberly, just one of the fans is filled with dust. 

the only thing that i see that is unusual is that the thing in the picture below is red and is not tan colored like the other ones.  this one is near the cpu.

[Image: sdfasdf2rh.th.jpg]

RE: what is happening? by Val on 02-21-2006 at 03:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]everthing is connected proberly, just one of the fans is filled with dust. 

Hmm... be sure to clean all the dust out of all the parts, sometimes that can help alot ;)

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]the only thing that i see that is unusual is that the thing in the picture below is red and is not tan colored like the other ones.  this one is near the cpu.

To tell you the truth I have no clue what that is but maybe it is rusted? Maybe the wire is fried I don't know, maybe you should try  the http://neowin.net forums I think someone can help you there ;)

RE: what is happening? by [MR] on 02-21-2006 at 03:51 AM

there is some cover over the cpu and i took that off and so far it is working, but the computer is on its side and not right side up so i dunno what is causing it now. :S  where is cookie or lopardo?

thanks to surfichris in IRC this is solved.

RE: SOLVED what is happening? by surfichris on 02-21-2006 at 11:30 AM

And the moral of this story is kids, don't break the retention brackets/clips which hold the CPU down. ;)

RE: SOLVED what is happening? by Nathan on 02-21-2006 at 12:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
And the moral of this story is kids, don't break the retention brackets/clips which hold the CPU down. ;)

And if you are dumb enough to do so then use selotape to stick it down :P
RE: SOLVED what is happening? by kao on 02-21-2006 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Msg Plus Freak
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton

And if you are dumb enough to do so then use selotape to stick it down :P
no, really, don't use things which melt =P