Shoutbox

A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... (/showthread.php?tid=56178)

A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by M73A on 02-23-2006 at 09:27 PM

the a-levels im definitely applying for are:

Art
Ict
Mathematics

i need one more... the other things i would do are:
Media studies.
Human Biology
Chemistry (least likely)

what do you think i should choose as 4th? is anyone taking any of the three im considering?

thanks...

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by NiteMare on 02-23-2006 at 09:28 PM

Media studies.

cuz i hate blood and guts, and i'd probualy blow up the chem lab

but thats just my opinion

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by Negro_Joe on 02-23-2006 at 09:29 PM

media studies is very general..

But iv been told employers like scince because science teaches you alot of skill and methods...:S

or something..

IMO i would go for Media studies

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by Tasha on 02-23-2006 at 10:11 PM

I'd do something Science, I'd say it could probably take you further. It's funny, was talking about it with my teacher today, and getting A-Levels in Maths and a Science can take you a very long way, so I'd choose Biology... :p

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by Zephyr on 02-23-2006 at 10:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
i need one more... the other things i would do are:
Media studies.
Human Biology
Chemistry (least likely)

what do you think i should choose as 4th? is anyone taking any of the three im considering?

thanks...

It all depends on what you have in mind for your career. You shouldn't just choose a subject because people recommend it.

IMO Media Studies isn't a great A level to take because it isn't really that useful, unless you're thinking of going into that area of study later in life.

You're taking Mathematics, so you could consider taking Further Mathematics. I'm doing further maths and i warn you that it is hard, but i want to do an area of maths at university so its really good for me.

Out of the ones you've suggested, I would take chemistry, but again it depends on what you're good at and what will be most useful.

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by mwe99 on 02-24-2006 at 12:09 AM

Have you spoken to your school careers advisor or companies like Connexions; these can usually offer the most constructive advice.

Although mine was not too good lol, and i totally went against her

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by DJeX on 02-24-2006 at 12:25 AM

Chemistry all the way! I love blowing up stuff :D so I'd pick chemistry

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by Voldemort on 02-24-2006 at 12:26 AM

chemistry !
i love mixing things we are not supposed to..
once it gave off some toxic thing that wouldnt let you smell for a while.. and  an  instant headache...

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by gif83 on 02-24-2006 at 12:29 AM

If you're planning on going to university... just take a look at the requirements of the courses you would like to go to at the universities you like... when applying for a job, they will not even bother to look at what A Levels you have if you go to university..

If the courses you like do not have any specific requirements, you should just choose the one that you think you will enjoy the most. You will certainly learn more if you enjoy the subject.

The last point i'll make is.. don't stress too much.. it may seem like a huge choice to you now... but in the end, it doesn't matter too much what you choose at this stage. just make sure you do well in whatever you choose to get you through to the next stage with ease.

btw...nice choices so far ;)

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by kierant on 02-24-2006 at 12:49 AM

Out of the three, I would pick Biology. It will definitely further your options when it comes to choosing a university. I wouldn't choose media simply for the fact that you already have an arty subject with art, and universities may not look on it particularly well having two. And considering ICT is indifferent with many universities, I would definitely choose the more academic subject.

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by DJeX on 02-24-2006 at 12:51 AM

quote:
Originally posted by damm-o
chemistry !
i love mixing things we are not supposed to..
once it gave off some toxic thing that wouldnt let you smell for a while.. and  an  instant headache...

Ahh now thats the stuff (Y) mixing random things to see what happends, but being safe like not pouring liquid into acid always pour acid into liquid.
RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by NiteMare on 02-24-2006 at 01:43 AM

take A-level "Life Changing Decisions" and decide for your self:P

quote:
Originally posted by DJeX

but being safe like not pouring liquid into acid always pour acid into liquid.
why?
RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by Voldemort on 02-24-2006 at 02:33 AM

quote:
mixing random things to see what happends, but being safe like not pouring liquid into acid always pour acid into liquid.

i dont get it :P :S
RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by TrooPDoG™ on 02-24-2006 at 02:36 AM

I am in my second year of A-levels now and I would personally go for Media Studies out of those as its a fun subject thats not to difficult a A-level to :)

TrooPDoG

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by DJeX on 02-24-2006 at 02:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
take A-level "Life Changing Decisions" and decide for your self:P

quote:

but being safe like not pouring liquid into acid always pour acid into liquid.
why?

If you pour a liquid into an acid, so lets say I poured water into sulferic acid. The acid, because it reacts so quicly and creates a large amount of heat in such a sort time when little friction is added to it, it will blow up in your face when the water is poured in. So to stop this you pour the acid into the water. Acid on the face really sucks (Y)

So knowing this you can get real creative and make a nice explosion. I won't tell you how to because it's quite dangerous.
RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by stoshrocket on 02-24-2006 at 10:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr
IMO Media Studies isn't a great A level to take because it isn't really that useful, unless you're thinking of going into that area of study later in life.

You're taking Mathematics, so you could consider taking Further Mathematics. I'm doing further maths and i warn you that it is hard, but i want to do an area of maths at university so its really good for me.

same as me,  media studies isnt a great A-Level to take, its considered a 'mickey-mouse' A-level at my school... its not that good at A-Level, even if you do want to take it into university, its not really what subjects you take at A-Level and GCSE but what grades you actuallly acheive (my brother is giving me lectures, he's in his second yr in uni)

quote:
Chemistry all the way! I love blowing up stuff :D so I'd pick chemistry

doing chemistry at A-Level there is hardly any practical, you learn ALOT of theory but dont do that many experiments, our chemistry teacher was saying this and he's someone who gets bored during lesson so does an experiment involving Chlorine Gas or the thermic reaction involving the production of thermite.

As for what you should choose...

quote:
Originally posted by Tasha
I'd do something Science, I'd say it could probably take you further. It's funny, was talking about it with my teacher today, and getting A-Levels in Maths and a Science can take you a very long way, so I'd choose Biology... :p

i would go for a science, physics is a good one to take while doing maths i've heard, but it can be a bit of a heavy load to do, but you could always drop it at the end of the first year and just do an As Level in it (y)
RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by Stigmata on 02-24-2006 at 10:28 AM

I took:

1. Electronics
2. ICT
3. Business
4. Critical Thinking
5. PE

i got into none of my subject. but im sorta decent on the waiting list show i should get them all but pe.

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by M73A on 02-24-2006 at 05:16 PM

the reason im not sure what to pick is because i dont want to take any of them... i only want to take, ict art and maths... so the subject i need to pick is kind of something to fill the gap on the form...

my school onli has 20 media spaces... and if i dont get one of them im probably going to do chemistry

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by Negro_Joe on 02-24-2006 at 05:32 PM

i took:

Psycology
English Literature
Religous Studies
History...

And i got them all...:)

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by fishybobbins on 02-24-2006 at 06:36 PM

I'm planning to take:
Computing
Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Government and Politics (probably only do 1 year)

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by Plik on 02-24-2006 at 06:58 PM

Vocational courses all the way :banana:

I know a few people who took media studies and said its really boring :p

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by saralk on 02-24-2006 at 07:11 PM

If you can do Computing instead of ICT, i would go for that, in computing you learn how to actually program stuff and is generally a much more respected course

RE: A-Level Choices.... need help/ other peoples input... by shadowfaerie on 02-25-2006 at 11:42 PM

i do both human b, and media.. media is loads of fun!.. and human is funny.. muchly cos the teacher is scared of blood!.. hahaha!..

what do you want to do.. and remember you are dropping one at the end of the year

**in life