Shoutbox

MSN 7.5 constantly disconnecting - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: MSN 7.5 constantly disconnecting (/showthread.php?tid=56239)

MSN 7.5 constantly disconnecting by AnthonyL on 02-26-2006 at 01:59 AM

I have MSN 7.5 and since I can remember it has always disconnected me every few minutes. And I have to reconnect, it's just a pain.

I have Windows XP, a D-Link router with a built-in firewall (I can't disable it), ZoneAlarm Security Suite, Microsoft Antispyware and AVG (the last two I don't think are a problem).

I've seen others with D-Link routers that have had the exact same problem, so if there's anything that would help me, I would appreciate it. Thanks. :D

RE: MSN 7.5 constantly disconnecting by Nathan on 02-26-2006 at 03:05 PM

It seems to be the firewall on your router.
I do know that Zonealarm usually stops things but it sually asks you before it disalows you to use msn.
I will give a more detailed explainiton/solution later when I have more time.

RE: MSN 7.5 constantly disconnecting by AnthonyL on 03-28-2006 at 06:15 PM

Anything yet? It's still doing it, but not as often. Some days it will keeped me logged in, other days it will disconnect me every couple minutes.

RE: RE: MSN 7.5 constantly disconnecting by NanoChromatic on 03-28-2006 at 06:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by AnthonyL
Anything yet? It's still doing it, but not as often. Some days it will keeped me logged in, other days it will disconnect me every couple minutes.

Try Unistalling it then click REPAIr, maybe tht works
RE: MSN 7.5 constantly disconnecting by Reaper on 03-28-2006 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by KieranJ2006
Try Unistalling it then click REPAIr, maybe tht works
its nothing like that.

make sure your firewall (ZoneAlarm) and your router are properly configured to allow MSN to access the internet
http://www.portforward.com/
Visit that above site, where it will tell you how to configure your specific router for certain applications.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

The full list of Messenger ports:
Basic text messaging/connection to Messenger server: port 1863 or 80 TCP and 443 TCP

File Transfer*: 6891-6900 TCP (this port range is not valid for MSN Messenger 6 clients sending/receiving to other MSN Messenger 6 clients)
Webcam**/*: 9000-9999 or 80 TCP
Audio*: 5004-65535 UDP
Video Conference (XP only)/Start Camera*: 5004-65535 UDP
Remote Assistance (XP only)*: 3389 TCP
Whiteboard/Application Sharing (XP only)*: 1503 TCP
Launch Site Games**: 80 TCP
* denotes features which can use Universal Plug and Play (UPnP), UPnP file transfer only available in Windows Messenger 5, MSN Messenger 5 and MSN Messenger 6
** MSN Messenger 6 feature exclusively

that is a list of ports that should be open in your firewall, if needed
RE: MSN 7.5 constantly disconnecting by ZrednaZ on 03-28-2006 at 10:25 PM

That's odd; my D-link D-604 works just fine, and I certainly haven't manually forwarded any ports. It may have its share of other problems, but disconnecting Messenger... Na-ah. :P

Wouldn't the port thing seem a bit odd, anyway? His Messenger working fine for a few minutes and then all of a sudden requiring port forwards to remain connected.

To me it sounds as though your computer is losing its Internet connection altogether every once in a while, maybe due to an unstable ISP or DSL-modem or whatever.

You could connect your computer directly to the DSL-modem for a while in order to either rule out the router or confirm that it's causing trouble. Hope this helps! :refuck:

RE: MSN 7.5 constantly disconnecting by AnthonyL on 04-04-2006 at 01:06 AM

You know, I play my playstation online and sometimes it takes a little while to connect, telling me my network cable is disconnected. But, maybe on the second or third try it'll connect. And a few times it's disconnected me from my online games. Maybe it is an unstable modem or something.

Sometimes it also completely disconnects itself and I have to shut everything off for 5 minutes, and when I turn it back on it works.

:S

RE: MSN 7.5 constantly disconnecting by artfuldodga on 04-04-2006 at 02:06 AM

would the amount of tcp/ip max connections have anything to do with messenger disconnecting i wonder? depending on what else the user is doing...

RE: MSN 7.5 constantly disconnecting by rudefrog on 04-04-2006 at 12:16 PM

Had the same problem, turns out we have a crappy network, must be ur 3rd party tools... (zone alarm etc.)

RE: MSN 7.5 constantly disconnecting by fe3101 on 04-05-2006 at 01:32 PM

you must have you catch a virus

RE: MSN 7.5 constantly disconnecting by AnthonyL on 04-12-2006 at 01:21 AM

I forgot the username and password to my router. :S I know the default, but mine got changed. Probably my dad.