Shoutbox

Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? (/showthread.php?tid=56274)

Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by afroman499 on 02-27-2006 at 12:14 AM

Is there a plugin ( or is it even legal) to see what someone is typing to you before they actually press send? If not is anybody in the workings with this?

RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by [MR] on 02-27-2006 at 12:18 AM

no that is illegal.

RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by afroman499 on 02-27-2006 at 12:21 AM

damn..o well...worth a shot

RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by Voldemort on 02-27-2006 at 12:22 AM

no because it just sends a packet saying they are writing, but they  dont send what they actually write until enter is pressed

RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by Zephyr on 02-27-2006 at 12:24 AM

See Question, looking for something, wondering if it's possible with MSN
or Seeing what your friend is typing?
or andrey's reply to how can i do that?

RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by Chris4 on 02-27-2006 at 12:24 AM

That would be a kind of keylogger O.o

RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by afroman499 on 02-27-2006 at 12:40 AM

could u explain what keylogging is and how to get it?

RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by [MR] on 02-27-2006 at 12:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by afroman499
could u explain what keylogging is and how to get it?

keylogging is illegal and you wont be given links on this forum.

but here is a definition
quote:
Originally posted by webopedia
A keylogger is a type of surveillance software (considered to be either software or spyware) that has the capability to record every keystroke you make to a log file (usually encrypted). A keylogger recorder can record instant messages, e-mail, and any information you type at any time using your keyboard. The log file created by the keylogger can then be sent to a specified receiver. Some keylogger programs will also record any e-mail addresses you use and Web site URLs you visit.

Keyloggers, as  a surveillance tool, are often used by employers to ensure employees use work computers for business purposes only. Unfortunately, keyloggers can also be embedded in spyware allowing your information to be transmitted to an unknown third party.

RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by RaceProUK on 02-27-2006 at 01:56 AM

Keylogging isn't illegal per se: it's only illegal if it's used to invade privacy. When you think about it, Internet Explorer's AutoComplete is a sort-of keylogger, and that's perfectly legal (you can turn it off).

RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by [MR] on 02-27-2006 at 02:31 AM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Keylogging isn't illegal per se
yes that is true but he wants to use it in and illegal way.
RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by linx05 on 02-27-2006 at 09:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]
quote:
Do you even know that? ICQ had(has?) this feature. It isn't illegal. When you both have the plugin it could be quite fun. I would definately use it if it was made.

No need to throw the "illegal" term around so easily.
RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by RaceProUK on 02-27-2006 at 12:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR
]
quote:
It's only illegal if keys are logged without the user knowing.
RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by John Anderton on 02-27-2006 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Keylogging isn't illegal per se: it's only illegal if it's used to invade privacy. When you think about it, Internet Explorer's AutoComplete is a sort-of keylogger, and that's perfectly legal (you can turn it off).
yes it is if you are used to get information like usernames, passwords, pin's and other sensitive data's or like in this case text ...... so it is illegal :P

And btw, im sure this topic has been discusses way too many times in my time here .... i would recon about 4-5 times atleast :dodgy:
RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by linx05 on 02-27-2006 at 01:33 PM

It has been brought up in the StuffPlug forums a few times. Frankly, I wouldn't mind such a plugin being made. I know of course both contacts would need to have it. But it would be a bit of a novelty I guess.

That's my two cents anyway :).

RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by RaceProUK on 02-27-2006 at 07:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
yes it is if you are used to get information like usernames, passwords, pin's and other sensitive data's or like in this case text ...... so it is illegal :P

And btw, im sure this topic has been discusses way too many times in my time here .... i would recon about 4-5 times atleast :dodgy:
Y'know all you did was repeat what I said, but phrase it differently? :P
RE: RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by CookieRevised on 02-27-2006 at 07:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by [MR]
no that is illegal.
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
yes it is illegal if you use it to get information like usernames, passwords, pin's and other sensitive data's or like in this case text ...... so it is illegal :P
Keylogging is only illegal if it is done without the user's approval (aka: without him/her knowing about it). It does NOT matter what is logged, in any case...

And in this case, the OP asks for a "keylogger" to see what the other user is typing. For this to work, the other user needs to install a plugin too. In other words, the other user knows that eveybody with the same plugin will see what he/she is typing. Therefore, there is absolutely nothing illegal about it...

in short:
quote:
Keylogging isn't illegal per se: it's only illegal if it's used to invade privacy.

---

quote:
quote:
You don't know that.

He didn't say "without the other user knowing about it"...

---

quote:
Originally posted by Zephyr
See Question, looking for something, wondering if it's possible with MSN
or Seeing what your friend is typing?
or andrey's reply to how can i do that?

RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by [MR] on 02-27-2006 at 10:51 PM

quote:
to see what someone is typing to you before they actually press send
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

basically he did.  if you want to see what some one is writing before you type it you dont tell that other person im going to watch what you type before you send it to me.  so yes it would be with out the other user knowing.
RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by Voldemort on 02-27-2006 at 10:53 PM

i would use a plugin that did that for both users KNOWING

RE: RE: Any way to see what friends are typing before they press enter? by CookieRevised on 02-28-2006 at 06:57 AM

quote:
quote:
to see what someone is typing to you before they actually press send
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

basically he did.  if you want to see what some one is writing before you type it you dont tell that other person im going to watch what you type before you send it to me.  so yes it would be with out the other user knowing.
Absolutely not... You can't jump to conclussions like that...

As said by several people in this thread, this can be perfectly be done with an addon or plugin which need to be installed by the other person and you. In that case, both you and that other person will know about it.

He absolutely did not said "without the user knowing about it". He even didn't suggested it...

if you want to see what some one is writing before you type it you dont tell that other person im going to watch what you type before you send it to me. => is a conclussion which you can not draw just like that!!! If I want to see what the other person is typing as he types it, it does not automatically mean without him knowing about it.