Shoutbox

accessing encrypted file - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: accessing encrypted file (/showthread.php?tid=56329)

accessing encrypted file by Ghost_Stalker on 02-28-2006 at 08:48 PM

Ok, here's the 411 yo!

At work, I had to encrypt my email archive file. Then, my work PC crapped out on me. I backed up the important files (my bookmarks, StrongBad Sings MP3's and pictures) and also my email and archive file. Which remained encrypted.

I had my PC rebuilt today and restored all my files. Had some trouble because the Lotus Notes directory wasn't the same as when I made the backup. I placed the encrypted archive file in the NEW notes directory. I pointed Lotus notes in the to the correct file. But it won't let me access it. Tells me that access is denied. When I look at the "owner" of the file, it's me (has the right computer and login ID for the file as my workstation).

My question is this:

Is there any way for me to disable the Windows encryption on the file so that I can access it? Or somehow change or set it up so that it is linked correctly to me. I'm using Windows XP SP1, and its Lotus Notes 6.5 (I work for IBM which is why I'm using Notes)

UPDATE
I've tried creating the origional folder locations and restoring the file, but it won't work.

RE: accessing encrypted file by RaceProUK on 03-01-2006 at 01:50 PM

When your PC failed, was it SP2? If so, upgrade to SP2 and try again: there may be crypto libraries you're missing.

RE: accessing encrypted file by Ghost_Stalker on 03-01-2006 at 02:05 PM

no, I've never had PS2 installed. It, however, didn't have all the updates... which it should now

RE: accessing encrypted file by Adeptus on 03-01-2006 at 06:10 PM

Ghost_Stalker,

I regret to be the one to tell you this, but unless you backed up your certificate (see here; note that a reformatted computer is another computer for all intents and purposes), there is nothing you can do about it now.  That, after all, is the whole point of encryption.  :)

The only exception would be if your computer was a member of an Active Directory domain -- in that case, your domain administrator may be able recover the file.  Otherwise, the fat lady has sung.