Shoutbox

ipod problems - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: ipod problems (/showthread.php?tid=56345)

ipod problems by MC Inferno on 03-01-2006 at 04:12 AM

i have about 2200 songs on my ipid (before u ask, no i havent backed em up, i know, i should of, but i havent)

thing is. recently, its been playing up. jus freezing, so i had to press menu and the select buttin to restart it, but so far, thats been cool.

tonight i put sum new albums on it, seems to work fine, but after i put da last one on, it had a problem disconnecting, so i shut my pc down (i have it manual mode btw) and done it that way. i have a look at my songs and they're all gone :| so i went to music test on games, no luck, restart ipod, no luck. restart my pc, and while its loading up, says on my settings ,taht i have 11.7GB (i have a 3rdG 20GB btw) remaining, so it must still have the songs on it.

plug it in da pc, thort, i'll take da songs off by going into ipod control, reinstall software, and put em on again. heres da fucked up thing. it had 50 files of F01, F02, F03, etc. like normal, but no songs in them :O

but it still says that theres 11.7GB left. i unplugged it and went onto ipod diagionotistcs, dun a HDD TEST, said HDD PASS but wen its donig something, if i listen closly, u can hear it starting to spin, but it cant be arsedm, ova and ova, like trying to start a car engine. goes up up UP UP, THEN it goes DOwnnnnnn and cant be arsed again.

i have no idea, what the fuck is happening.

any idea's?

ps. iTunes doesnt recognise the ipod too, the pc does, but not acctual itunes.

RE: ipod problems by markee on 03-01-2006 at 04:21 AM

So did you have a look in the hidden folders on the iPod to make sure that there isn't any music?  I think that's what you meant by the F01, etc.  If there is music on it there are programs that you can find on the net to get the music off so that you can back it up (I keep a copy of the music either on my PC or disk just in case).  If this doesn't help I really don't know how you can get the music back.

Once you have the music back you can just use the iPod updater to reset it all and iTunes should recognise it again but DO NOT do this before you get your music off or it will wipe it for good.

Hope it works out for you.

RE: ipod problems by matty on 03-01-2006 at 04:22 AM

Sounds like the harddrive is dead again. When you open properties in My computer for the iPod does it say the same usage statistics?

Tomorrow if you send me a message I will send you the program I made to backup the data from it. Can't guarantee it will work since there is no "music" on the iPod but the 50 found files.

RE: ipod problems by MC Inferno on 03-01-2006 at 04:23 AM

ye the hidden folders is what's im on about ye. i mean i would give up by now but it must be on there if it still says thats theres 11.8 GB left you know?

can ayone help me find a program that does this well, if i can get the music off it, i'll be laughin

(PS. ive been thinknig of sending this back to apple anyways, i have two sub-questions.

1. my garantee started in Jan '05. i got it replaces for free by apple in June '05, does that mean, i have a new garantee till Jue '06 or am i two months late now?

2. if they do replace it again, will i get a brand new colour one? ;) cioz i know they dont make da black and white ones no more

RE: ipod problems by matty on 03-01-2006 at 04:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
can ayone help me find these programs, if i can get the music off it, i'll be laughin

You should know I would know the answer to that :P

iPod Agent or PodPlus : But like I said in my previous post if there is nothing inside of them its not going to work.

quote:
1. my garantee started in Jan '05. i got it replaces for free by apple in June '05, does that mean, i have a new garantee till Jue '06 or am i two months late now?

I think its only 90 days from when you receive it not a new 1 year warranty.

quote:
2. if they do replace it again, will i get a brand new colour one? (Smilie) cioz i know they dont make da black and white ones no more
Chances are yes but thats Apples Decision.
RE: ipod problems by MC Inferno on 03-01-2006 at 04:31 AM

my bad matty, only jus read ur post. its funny u say about the hard drive being dead, as soon as i read ur thing, i put my ipod back onto the pc and a thing came up saying:

"the file or directory \ipod_control\itunes\itunesDB is corrupt and unreadable. please run the Chkdsk utility."

im fucked aint i? :'(

RE: ipod problems by matty on 03-01-2006 at 04:34 AM

quote:
"the file or directory \ipod_control\itunes\itunesDB is corrupt and unreadable. please run the Chkdsk utility."
Nope simply fix.

Start > run > cmd {enter}

type chkdsk /f /r %driveletter%:

Just open my computer and find the drive letter of the iPod. Your commandline should look like the following.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=611443]

The reason it happened is the sector where the iTunesDB (iTunes Database) file is stored on the hdd is corrupted. What the check disk will do is fix the sector and if it cant move the file and mark the sector as bad so no data is written to it.

The checkdisk will take 30mins to run on a 20gb iPod. Make sure you have time
RE: ipod problems by MC Inferno on 03-01-2006 at 04:39 AM

"Windows was unable to save all the data for the file :\\Ipod_control. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

this came up out of nowhere, jus before i read ur post

assuming ive still got a chance, and that my ipod drive letter is J, what should i type into MS-Dos?

RE: ipod problems by matty on 03-01-2006 at 04:42 AM

chkdsk /f /r j:

Just like I posted from the image. 99.999999% chances are all data is lost.

RE: ipod problems by MC Inferno on 03-01-2006 at 04:46 AM

i tried that it said: "cannot open volume for direct access"?

im fucked aint i?

RE: ipod problems by matty on 03-01-2006 at 05:03 AM

quote:
i tried that it said: "cannot open volume for direct access"?

im fucked aint i?
You need to make sure nothing else is open that could be using the iPod.

In Task Manager end iTunes.exe; iTunesHelper.exe; iPodService.exe; qttask.exe
RE: ipod problems by MC Inferno on 03-02-2006 at 01:32 AM

i'll try that again in a bit then

also i had to disconnect my ipod from my pc to get my pc to load up today..... thats not normal, but my pc has some problems with booting last work... had to work BIOS to get it back on, something about not booting from the hard drive as my mate luke told me
----------------------------------------

edit: was just about to try putting the ipod in and try that MS-DOS thing whist doin it, i relised it was stuck on the apple sign, so i restarted it and it came up choose ur lanuage so i picked english. now EVERYTHING is resetted, BUT, i looked in options. on capacity its says 0 on songs it says 0, it dosnt know what its formatted to and doesnt no the ipiod name (should be Inferno iPod 2006) so i give up and looked at the price's on the apple repair thing (im not under garrenty after all).

then i saw the dfigure at £160. i get £500 a month at my job, so that in mind, once again, im not gonna give up. so i replugged the ipod into the PC.

heres the really weird thing.

on My comp (coz its set up as a removable disk file) it's known as INFERNO IPO but on my iTunes, its known properly as Inferno iPod 2006. It came up as INFERNO IPO on both my iTunes and My Comp. went into ipod_control, those 50 F01 files wer all der with no music. then dissconnected the ipod and checked settings > about

now thinks its called INFERNO IPO again, has no songs and has 11.8GB of memory left (:D:D:D) and is formaated to windows, so hopefully, not all is lost (literally, if u get me)

im gonna re-plug my ipo back in and try that MS-DOS thing. i'll also do ctrl alt + del and close any programs that might be using th ipod this time and get back to y'all

thankyou for all the help so far. this has been the shimmer of light so far and ive had a fucknig rough day as it is, so i dont want this to fucknig top it. :D

------------------------------

edit2: still cannot open volume for direct access

RE: ipod problems by MC Inferno on 03-04-2006 at 03:42 AM

i know im not supposed to double post but please help me ppl!

RE: ipod problems by Mike on 03-04-2006 at 06:03 AM

Try doing this:
Put a floppy disk in your floppy drive and create a floppy boot disk. (learn how to create a boot disk here: http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm#71 )
Now reboot your computer, and, your computer should be booting from it if the boot order is set to boot from floppy first and then harddrive.

Now try doing the chkdisk thing again.
I doubt it that it will work for three reasons:
1) I'm not really sure if a floppy bot disk has chkdisk in it...
2) If the iPod is formatted with FAT32 or FAT, then it might work...
3) I don't think that boot disks have access to usb devices.

So, this is probably not gonna work...

If you have a bootable windows xp cd then try this:
Boot from the cd, and wait until it finishes loading.
Then, press "R" to get into the recovery console.
Then try chkdisking your iPod again (don't try to chkdisk the letter that is on windows, since your device letter has probably changed here).
The windows CD has access to usb devices ... i think...
It can also chkdisk NTFS partions.

Or, try something more easier:
Boot into safemode (tap F8 before the bar that indicates that windows is loading, and select safe mode)
Then chkdisk your ipod...

RE: ipod problems by matty on 03-04-2006 at 10:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
chkdsk /f /r j:

Add an extra switch to it. /x

code:
chkdsk /x /f /r j:

quote:
Originally posted by chkdsk /?
Checks a disk and displays a status report.

CHKDSK [volume[[path]filename]]] [/F] [/V] [/R] [/X] [/I] [/C] [/L[:size]]

volume          Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon), mount point, or volume name.
  filename        FAT/FAT32 only: Specifies the files to check for fragmentation.
  /F                    Fixes errors on the disk.
  /R                    Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information (implies /F).
  /X                    Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary. All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid (implies /F).
  /V                 On FAT/FAT32: Displays the full path and name of every file on the disk. On NTFS: Displays cleanup messages if any.
  /L:size           NTFS only:  Changes the log file size to the specified number of kilobytes.  If size is not specified, displays current size.
  /I                  NTFS only: Performs a less vigorous check of index entries.
  /C                 NTFS only: Skips checking of cycles within the folder structure.

The /I or /C switch reduces the amount of time required to run Chkdsk by
skipping certain checks of the volume.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Hope it works for you.
RE: ipod problems by MC Inferno on 03-05-2006 at 04:11 AM

thanx. i'll try these in the morn