Shoutbox

Lost emoticons - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Lost emoticons (/showthread.php?tid=56370)

Lost emoticons by BigGunner on 03-01-2006 at 10:45 PM

Can anyone advise me on how to import lost emoticons? I have a folder full of them that MSN doesn't recognise.
Here is the scenario...
I had a crash on my computer some time ago, but managed to format a different partition of my hard drive and re-installed my programs...including MSN
I found the folder on the old partition that contained all the emoticons (etc) from my previos install of MSN...to my suprise, they're all in ".dat" format...well i simply tried to copy/paste the folder over to my current install of MSN...no dice...MSN doesn't recognise them.

I'm guessing that the *.dat file contains not only the applicable .gif file, but also the shortcut initially used for that old emoticon...

Anyone with ideas, suggestions, feel free to contact me

RE: Lost emoticons by Reaper on 03-01-2006 at 10:57 PM

rename the .dat to .png
that will make them into images. then re add them using msn messenger.
i know its long winded but its the only way AFAIK

RE: RE: Lost emoticons by BigGunner on 03-01-2006 at 11:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
rename the .dat to .png
that will make them into images. then re add them using msn messenger.
i know its long winded but its the only way AFAIK

That makes an image from hte .dat file, but most of them were animated .gif images...it doesnt really work...
What I guess I'm looking for is a way to import these files back as emoticons - with the shortcuts they had all along...
This appears to be a weakness in MSN...
RE: Lost emoticons by Reaper on 03-02-2006 at 12:11 AM

i had this problem also, so i talk from experience. the png format does support animation, so by making the .dat to .png will make them proper so to speak.

RE: RE: Lost emoticons by BigGunner on 03-02-2006 at 12:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
i had this problem also, so i talk from experience. the png format does support animation, so by making the .dat to .png will make them proper so to speak.

Its a drawn out meathod, but I'll give it a try...I just wish that MSN was a little more user friendly in this area...if there was an import/export wizard for emoticons/winks, etc

thanks for your tips though