Shoutbox

Xbox Live (is this possbile) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Xbox Live (is this possbile) (/showthread.php?tid=56382)

Xbox Live (is this possbile) by DJeX on 03-02-2006 at 03:05 AM

Hey, I have a friend who has a wireless internet connection. Now his computer is in his room and so is his Xbox. He wants to use his xbox live but needs an internet connection. Is it possible to plug his xbox in his eathernet plug on his motherboard and use the wireless to go through his computer out to the xbox?

RE: Xbox Live (is this possbile) by Voldemort on 03-02-2006 at 03:07 AM

Yes, you mean taking the connection, via the pc connected to wireless?
If so, yes, i do that with my lap.
Dont forget to share the connection

RE: Xbox Live (is this possbile) by DJeX on 03-02-2006 at 03:10 AM

Well how would I do that?

RE: Xbox Live (is this possbile) by Voldemort on 03-02-2006 at 03:13 AM

Connect Pc to wireless.
Right click share this connection blah blah
Connect the xbox
Let it connect

RE: Xbox Live (is this possbile) by qgroessl on 03-02-2006 at 03:28 AM

Would this work with a PS2 too?... We have a computer in one room connected to the outlet in the wall.... Then a computer in another room connected wirelessly.... If I plugged the PS2 into the computer with a wireless connection it would work right?... Assuming I had a signal.

RE: Xbox Live (is this possbile) by Voldemort on 03-02-2006 at 03:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by groessl35
Would this work with a PS2 too?... We have a computer in one room connected to the outlet in the wall.... Then a computer in another room connected wirelessly.... If I plugged the PS2 into the computer with a wireless connection it would work right?... Assuming I had a signal.

Yes, it should.
Just share the connection
RE: Xbox Live (is this possbile) by qgroessl on 03-02-2006 at 03:34 AM

sweet thanks!

RE: Xbox Live (is this possbile) by DJeX on 03-02-2006 at 03:48 AM

It says the IP is being used by onther LAN connection so I can't enable it.

RE: Xbox Live (is this possbile) by Voldemort on 03-02-2006 at 03:49 AM

Did you set a bridge?

RE: Xbox Live (is this possbile) by Adeptus on 03-02-2006 at 04:13 AM

This is most certainly possible, but you need to take in account the following:

1. If you are connecting the Xbox/PSP/whatever to the PC directly (without a switch or a hub in between) you must use a special type of cable -- ethernet crossover cable.  They are not hard to find, most computer stores will have some and it will clearly say "crossover" on the package.

2. For "Wi-Fi" wireless connections to an access point / router somewhere else in the house or nearby, you do not want to use Internet Connection Sharing.  Simply bridge the wireless and wired adapters, as described here.  If you have previously enabled ICS you will need to disable it.

RE: Xbox Live (is this possbile) by user27089 on 03-02-2006 at 07:30 AM

You can get the "gaming" wireless packages for the xbox, so you don't need to buy a wireless card.

RE: Xbox Live (is this possbile) by Voldemort on 03-02-2006 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
This is most certainly possible, but you need to take in account the following:

1. If you are connecting the Xbox/PSP/whatever to the PC directly (without a switch or a hub in between) you must use a special type of cable -- ethernet crossover cable.  They are not hard to find, most computer stores will have some and it will clearly say "crossover" on the package.

2. For "Wi-Fi" wireless connections to an access point / router somewhere else in the house or nearby, you do not want to use Internet Connection Sharing.  Simply bridge the wireless and wired adapters, as described here.  If you have previously enabled ICS you will need to disable it.

Adeptus, absolutely right as always.
If he has the official xbox cable, he can use that too.
RE: Xbox Live (is this possbile) by TrooPDoG™ on 03-03-2006 at 12:55 AM

Yes I do something very similar to this to play my xbox 360 in my bedroom.

I have a PC in my bedroom, another pc downstairs and then the xbox 360 and a PS2 in my bedroom. The pc downstairs connnects to the internet with a usb modem which I then share with ICS to the pc in my bedroom wirelessly via a LinkSys router.

I then connect my xbox 360 or my PS2 to my pc in my bedroom via ethernet.  All I had to do was share the wireless internet connection and then it worked fine.

If you have trouble with getting it to connect or would like help with some of the IP settings then I will be happy to help.

TrooPDoG