Shoutbox

Which is better to you? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Which is better to you? (/showthread.php?tid=56468)

Which is better to you? by lrac522 on 03-05-2006 at 02:31 AM

Need your judgment on your fondness. I’ve noticed that the optical (laser) mouse is said to be better but to me it’s getting so annoying, at first it worked superb but after getting acquainted it started to worm the mouse pointer to the top of my open page where the close button lies ending losing valuable work at times. Never experience this problem with the wheeled ones. What do you think?8o|

RE: Which is better to you? by wj on 03-05-2006 at 02:36 AM

Just to clarify. If it's got a little light on the bottom, it's not a "Laser" mouse, it's an Optical "LED" mouse. They use similar technology but laser is much more accurate

But that sounds like you've got a cheap optical mouse, Drop $30 into a new one and you wont see that problem.

RE: RE: Which is better to you? by lrac522 on 03-05-2006 at 02:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
Just to clarify. If it's got a little light on the bottom, it's not a "Laser" mouse, it's an Optical "LED" mouse. They use similar technology but laser is much more accurate

But that sounds like you've got a cheap optical mouse, Drop $30 into a new one and you wont see that problem.

Thanx for that info, the one i got was sent to me from DEL as a free gift so i presume I need another.
RE: Which is better to you? by qgroessl on 03-05-2006 at 05:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lrac522
Thanx for that info, the one i got was sent to me from DEL as a free gift so i presume I need another.

Yeah :p just about anything they'll send you free as a gift is going to be cheap.... :p... haha...I've got new speakers, mouse, printer/scanner instead of the stock ones they have with the computer... I'd like to upgrade the keyboard but I don't have a lot of money.
RE: Which is better to you? by Joe on 03-05-2006 at 06:12 AM

Logitech "MouseMan"... hasn't steered me wrong yet... if you're going for wireless, invest in rechargab;e batteries too. Or a rechargable mouse.

RE: Which is better to you? by rav0 on 03-05-2006 at 08:16 AM

I definately prefer optical mouses over ball mouses, and I've never used a laser mouse.

I have a Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical, and it works great.

At my school, they bought Laser optical mouses* for a bunch of the computers, but they're shit. Sometimes the cursor will jsut start jumping around while the mouse is just sitting on the bench.

* - mouses that use optical technology, not laser technology, of the brand Laser

RE: Which is better to you? by user27089 on 03-05-2006 at 08:46 AM

I've used laser mice, optical mice & ball mice. Laser mice are definitely the nicest ones to use. I have the Logitech MX100 (somebody gave it to me :banana:!) I have never had any troubles with it, and it is really good for playing games on. Also, the laser never jumps or anything like an optical mouse does, as the optical mouse may react with patterns/shapes on the surface that you're using it on, the laser mouse doesn't do this =P.

RE: Which is better to you? by Nathan on 03-05-2006 at 08:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
At my school, they bought Laser optical mouses* for a bunch of the computers, but they're shit. Sometimes the cursor will jsut start jumping around while the mouse is just sitting on the bench.
Common problem, It's usually to do with the computers humming and the mouse picks up that fine vibration!!
I get it all the time at out school :P
RE: Which is better to you? by Menthix on 03-05-2006 at 12:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lrac522
it started to worm the mouse pointer to the top of my open page where the close button lies ending losing valuable work at times.
Optical mice relay on the surface you use them on. On some surfaces the optical light will get "confused" and start to move in random directions. Try another surface or get a good mousepad.

A optical mouse is way better then a ball-mouse when a optical mouse is put on a good surface and nothing is interfereing with it. It feels much lighter and moves smoother. A laser mouse is even better, but i never used one so far.
RE: Which is better to you? by M73A on 03-05-2006 at 01:03 PM

i used to have one of these...
http://www.leedsmet.ac.uk:8082/lco/support/disabl...sington_expert.jpg

its in the cupboard now... i swapped it for a wireless one... optical obviously 8-)

i do miss the mouse in the picture above tho... whats the term for that design?

RE: Which is better to you? by Menthix on 03-05-2006 at 01:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
whats the term for that design?
That's called a trackball, not a mouse (but it does have exact same function as a mouse).