Shoutbox

network question - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: network question (/showthread.php?tid=56641)

network question by spokes on 03-09-2006 at 10:38 PM

ok, so my room is being redecorated and im having a better layout which allows room for my pc

so i'm gonna put my pc upstairs and my dads downstairs, atm we are using a corssover cable for our network, im wondering, if i bought to wireless usb network adapter things, would i need a router or would just 2 of them work?

seems as there is only 2 computers on the network? i dont need a router atm so i guess i wont need one for wireless?

thanks

RE: network question by Kryptonate on 03-09-2006 at 10:45 PM

You will need an accespoint to which the 2 adapters can connect.

RE: network question by Reaper on 03-09-2006 at 10:47 PM

but if each system has a wirless card, then they can connect to each other in the same kind of way as a crossover cable (as in computer to computer without another medium in between such as a router), except without the wiring. a router isnt needed, unless you want to use the internet when the host is off and other stuff

RE: network question by spokes on 03-09-2006 at 10:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
but if each system has a wirless card, then they can connect to each other in the same kind of way as a crossover cable (as in computer to computer without another medium in between such as a router), except without the wiring. a router isnt needed, unless you want to use the internet when the host is off and other stuff

so it can be done, i leave the host computer on all the time as it is, my dad then turns his pc on and he can use the net too
RE: network question by Reaper on 03-09-2006 at 10:51 PM

yup, it can be done. just need to run the network setup wizard etc.
shouldnt be too hard

RE: network question by RaceProUK on 03-10-2006 at 12:59 PM

Set up your PC as an access point: this will set up a DHCP server to allow the other PC to get an IP and connect to the Internet.

RE: network question by YourNeibour on 03-10-2006 at 03:27 PM

You'll only need a router if you plan to have both PC's connect to the internet

RE: network question by RaceProUK on 03-10-2006 at 03:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
You'll only need a router if you plan to have both PC's connect to the internet
No you don't: you can set up Internet Connection Sharing. The host PC then acts as the router.
RE: network question by Nathan on 03-11-2006 at 02:38 PM

The advantion is that most routers nowadays have a better firewall in ;)

RE: network question by RaceProUK on 03-11-2006 at 02:53 PM

Not quite: the advantage is actually in the Network Address Translation feature of all modern routers. By using NAT, your machine is hidden behind an external IP address, and any attacks on that hit the router not the PC. In effect, it's an excellent hardware firewall.
The firewall on the router itself is there to protect the router itself, not the machines behind ;)

RE: network question by Nathan on 03-11-2006 at 03:13 PM

Oh :P
The other good thing is if your telephone line (internet) it hits your router instead of your pc!!!
It happened to us:P
Thank the router :P