Shoutbox

Incorporating MSN Messenger into my website - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Incorporating MSN Messenger into my website (/showthread.php?tid=56645)

Incorporating MSN Messenger into my website by jbento on 03-10-2006 at 05:57 AM

All,
  I am new here and I just got a requirement from someone about incorporating MSN Messenger into their website.

Can MSN Messenger be incorporated into a website?

Any help will surely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

RE: Incorporating MSN Messenger into my website by matty on 03-10-2006 at 06:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jbento
All,
  I am new here and I just got a requirement from someone about incorporating MSN Messenger into their website.

Can MSN Messenger be incorporated into a website?

Any help will surely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Depends what exactly you want to add to it. Like do you want people to be able to login and use it to send messages. Or you want people to be able to click a link and open a conversation... what do you want them to do...
RE: Incorporating MSN Messenger into my website by jbento on 03-10-2006 at 06:22 AM

I want the user and and the owner of the site to be able to chat.

I also want to be able to have the owner trigger something to tell everyone if she is:  Away, Lunch, Out for the day, etc.  Then whatever the owner triggered, this would be displayed on the page where the script for this would be placed.

That is what I need it to do.

Thanks for responding!!!

RE: Incorporating MSN Messenger into my website by kierant on 03-10-2006 at 06:29 AM

Could you not add a shoutbox?

RE: Incorporating MSN Messenger into my website by Stigmata on 03-10-2006 at 07:21 AM

http://forum.mess.be/index.php?showtopic=55

look at the section on vbscript :)

RE: Incorporating MSN Messenger into my website by Menthix on 03-10-2006 at 08:43 AM

quote:
If you do that trough MSN then that means...
- Visitors will need to logon with their own MSN account on the site
- Visitors without a MSN account would be unable to chat
- Allot of visitors will not trust a site that asks for their MSN password
- The site owner will need "All others" on his allow list (Tools > Options... > Privacy)
- Signing in is to much hassle for most visitors

Maybe you can do a shoutbox type of thing on the site itself so people won't need to sign in or anything and still let the shoutbox backend send everything to the owner's MSN over one account.
RE: Incorporating MSN Messenger into my website by Sypher on 03-10-2006 at 10:41 AM

Could be done by using Perl or PHP...

A script that signs in to MSN, and another script that relays text to it...

Most hosting provider don't allow background processes though..

RE: Incorporating MSN Messenger into my website by jbento on 03-10-2006 at 01:07 PM

A shoutbox sounds like the way I want to go.

Where can I find how to implement the shoutbox?

RE: Incorporating MSN Messenger into my website by kierant on 03-10-2006 at 05:36 PM

try www.myshoutbox.com
or www.shoutmix.com
or google for more free sites

RE: Incorporating MSN Messenger into my website by leito on 03-10-2006 at 06:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
If you do that trough MSN then that means...
- Visitors will need to logon with their own MSN account on the site
- Visitors without a MSN account would be unable to chat
- Allot of visitors will not trust a site that asks for their MSN password
- The site owner will need "All others" on his allow list (Tools > Options... > Privacy)
- Signing in is to much hassle for most visitors

Maybe you can do a shoutbox type of thing on the site itself so people won't need to sign in or anything and still let the shoutbox backend send everything to the owner's MSN over one account.

Not necessarily, he could open three or four accounts for his visitors to use. Maybe at some point, the system would be busy with all guest accounts in use.

Yes, but use a shoutbox...  or try this (http://www.plasticshore.com/projects/chat/index.html) this is a open source "chat" (shoutbox) AJAX based.