Shoutbox

Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger (/showthread.php?tid=56731)

Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by scheitan on 03-13-2006 at 01:07 AM

I moved my MSN Messenger from my Program Files folder to another similar folder. I can run my MSN and everything, but when I try to start Messenger Plus it tells me that I don't have MSN. and when I run it while my MSN is opened it says something like MSN is already running. I wonder how I can fix this?

btw. I do not have admin rights on this laptop.

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by guanako on 03-13-2006 at 01:11 AM

do u have to run msgr plus mannually or starts with windows? try running MSN Messenger after you start msgr plus!

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by scheitan on 03-13-2006 at 01:26 AM

My Msgr plus doesn't start up automatically. Whenever I try to run it, it says something like "You require a version of MSN 4.6 or above".

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by guanako on 03-13-2006 at 01:42 AM

wat about if you put your MSN Messenger folder back where it belongs, or you could ask the PC administrator to reinstall it for u. both MSN and Plus!.

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by scheitan on 03-13-2006 at 02:26 AM

... it was the PC administrator that is not allowing me to have the Messenger...

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by guanako on 03-13-2006 at 02:26 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scheitan
... it was the PC administrator that is not allowing me to have the Messenger...
so u got it working now?
RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by scheitan on 03-13-2006 at 02:33 AM

well my MSN is working though they deleted it from the Program files... but the Messenger Plus that I really want to have isn't working..

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by scheitan on 03-16-2006 at 02:47 AM

people please help... i really need Msgnr Plus cause of its Boss protection. ~!!! LoL

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by guanako on 03-16-2006 at 06:05 AM

quote:
people please help... i really need Msgnr Plus cause of its Boss protection. ~!!! LoL
i dont see how u could instal it again, since u dont have admis rights,but u can try bootin on safe mode, and log on as the Administrator account, (the hidden one) sometimes they are not password protected, and create a new account with admis rights, restart and log on the new account with the adms rights, and install msgrplus! make sure it works, log off they new account, delete the account (the same way u created it, in safe mode and all that) go back to urs and start using plus! :P in case all this works of course. in case the hidden Adms account is password protected, i dont think you will be able to ge around it. unless some one here knows any other way.
RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by scheitan on 03-16-2006 at 08:57 AM

my school made all the ways of getting admin rights basically impossible, but i somehow managed to keep MSN installed (by moving it into another folder, not Program Files). but the Msgnr Plus, i think is programmed to find MSN in the program files folder... i just need to know how to get it fixed..

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by CookieRevised on 03-16-2006 at 09:54 AM

No, Plus! doesn't check for MSN Messenger in the program folder. In fact, it doesn't matter where MSN Messenger is installed at all as far as Plus! is concearned.

Though, Messenger needs to be properly installed. This means that registry keys should be in the proper place. And most likely your admin has removed these registry settings also and locked you also down from altering them.

The only thing you can try to do is to remove Messenger Plus! and reinstall it with the /noadmin option:

MsgPlus-362.exe /noadmin

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by scheitan on 03-16-2006 at 09:56 AM

how exactly do you do that?

yeah true.. my trillian messenger won't work too for some reason, but MSN is working fine.

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by Chestah on 03-16-2006 at 09:59 AM

Go Start --> Run --> and type this in -->

"C:/path/to/the/file/MsgPlus-362.exe" /noadmin

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by scheitan on 03-16-2006 at 10:06 AM

path to my MSN or Messenger Plus? I've no clue where the Plus is located btw.. in program files or documents and settings? i always use the shortcut in the start menu.. so yeah..

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by Chestah on 03-16-2006 at 10:08 AM

The path to the Messenger Plus install file. Ie the one you downloaded from www.msgplus.net :). Not the actual installed files!

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by scheitan on 03-16-2006 at 10:14 AM

k.. i'll try that, thankx for all the help guys. i'll post again if there are any problems~

Sorry but you must have MSN/Windows Messenger 4.6 (minimum) installed on your system in order to install Messenger Plus!
Re-installing MSN Messenger generally solves this problem.

It keeps on saying that..
C:\Tools\MSN Messenger

that's where my messenger is located. usually it is C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger
RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by matty on 03-17-2006 at 06:56 AM

You need to have Windows Messegner installed on your system.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/e/b/3/eb3b...f407/messenger.msi

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by scheitan on 03-18-2006 at 03:23 PM

... that sucks.. does it have to be located in the program files?.. and is there a way to install it without admin rights?

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by scheitan on 03-19-2006 at 02:23 AM

is there a way to install without admin rights?

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by matty on 03-19-2006 at 05:38 AM

No it needs to be installed with Administrative rights.

If you are in a company try seeing if your IT will install it for you. If you can provide ample reasoning for it I don't think they will have trouble with it. If you are able to use Messenger state that you feel its more secure and would rather use it instead of MSN Messenger.

quote:
scheitan

RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by brian on 03-19-2006 at 07:00 AM

Create a install.reg file.

code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSNMessenger]
"InstallationDirectory"="C:\\Program Files\\msnmsgr\\"

Change the path to the located directory (such as "C:\MSN"), make sure every \ gets replaced by double \\ -- If it's C:\MSN change it to, C:\\MSN
RE: Messenger Plus not working on relocated MSN Messenger by matty on 03-19-2006 at 07:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by nvez
Create a install.reg file.

code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSNMessenger]
"InstallationDirectory"="C:\\Program Files\\msnmsgr\\"

Change the path to the located directory (such as "C:\MSN"), make sure every \ gets replaced by double \\ -- If it's C:\MSN change it to, C:\\MSN
No offence but how is that going to change the fact you still need Admin Rights to install it?

Edit : Also how are you going to write to HKLM without having Admin Rights?