Shoutbox

I think we should have a new sticky.. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: I think we should have a new sticky.. (/showthread.php?tid=57129)

I think we should have a new sticky.. by Poom on 03-18-2006 at 07:08 AM

I see so many people, mostly new members, repeatedly asking about messenger plus for windows live messenger when we already have plus! live on development. I think that this is getting kind of boring. :/ Why don't we have a thread stickied here telling about messenger plus! live and its current status (private beta, public beta, due date, etc.) so that we can have room for other discussions about plus that can be more helpful instead?

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Mnjul on 03-18-2006 at 08:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Poom
Why don't we have a thread stickied here telling about messenger plus! live and its current status (private beta, public beta, due date, etc.)
Because we don't have a fixed date/schedule on it. :)
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by CookieRevised on 03-18-2006 at 08:29 AM

Which can be stated in that sticky thread...

I'd agree with Poom. More and more threads are made all with the same question and each time we need to say the same thing. It would be nice to have a sticky one which informs people that
beta is being developped
-no ETA
-release only when it is finished
-no pre-releases for WLM Beta
-etc
and that sort of stuff

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by albert on 03-18-2006 at 01:17 PM

I was for the idea, but most staff and members said that these new members would not read the stickies anyways.. which is kind of true.

What I proposed.. : http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=56411&page=1

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by qgroessl on 03-18-2006 at 01:19 PM

Yeah... even if it's stickied I don't think anybody will read it.... And I'm sure people would ask anyway... A lot of new members don't bother searching using search, let alone looking for stickys.

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by lordy on 03-18-2006 at 01:20 PM

Yeah i dont think anyone would read them neways. although then we can just copy a link to that sticky each time someone starts a thread about it.

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Nathan on 03-18-2006 at 01:31 PM

Yep That's what I was thinking lordy16.
It would save us having to right it out everytime and getting angry :P

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by user27089 on 03-18-2006 at 01:33 PM

Surely, WDZ could do an include thing, something like the "/me" or "/slap" commands on the forum... Where there is a thread with that in, simply type in "/explain_x" or whatever, and it types out the info automatically? It would be really helpful too :p.

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Nathan on 03-18-2006 at 01:35 PM

Nahhhh he's too lazy :lol:
It would be good if he could though

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Menthix on 03-18-2006 at 01:37 PM

No, linking to a central topic would be better. Because when new info comes available you can simply update the topic. Everybody who read old topic will then be linked to that updated topic. If we would use an alias like you say then the old topics will keep the old info. Plus a topic is less work for lazy WDZ :p.

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-18-2006 at 04:28 PM

i say a message at teh top of the forums, that everyone can see but is not too intrusive thats really the only way people will see and read it before posting, it could even link to a sticky

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by GiantSpider on 03-18-2006 at 05:12 PM

What about a post on the website?

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by John Anderton on 03-18-2006 at 05:14 PM

This idea was already proposed but dont you think that most of the new users who sign up just to ask dont look at stickies ?

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-18-2006 at 08:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
dont you think that most of the new users who sign up just to ask dont look at stickies

but they would see a short message at the top of the forums, like they have on http://community.mybboard.net/
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Voldemort on 03-18-2006 at 08:09 PM

No, i think it should be some EMS
like lou's forum when it got fuxxed..
noobs dont read stickies
Most newbs do.

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-18-2006 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bto
No, i think it should be some EMS
like lou's forum when it got fuxxed..

if you check the foot note of the EMS, you'll se that i design that:P
and thats what i'm talking about, its a nice quick way to pass on information, or draw forum wide attention to a certian thread

WDZ doesn't ahve to use my EMS plugin, he can design his own, but mines pretty easy to use

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Reaper on 03-18-2006 at 08:46 PM

surely what the title of the sticky thread is given will attract the attention of new members?
Plus! for WLM, Read Here

or something that will grab their attention

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-18-2006 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
surely what the title of the sticky thread is given will attract the attention of new members?
Plus! for WLM, Read Here

or something that will grab their attention

they don't look at threads, most noobies, just go to a forum whos title seems semi-appropriate, and then go striaght to the new thread button

just a sticky will not make anybody but us see it, if threads made a difference, all the noobs would be seeing other noob thread and posting in those ones

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Voldemort on 03-18-2006 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
if you check the foot note of the EMS, you'll se that i design that

I know.
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-18-2006 at 08:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bto
quote:
if you check the foot note of the EMS, you'll se that i design that

I know.
lol, oh, it wounded like you were saying no to my idea:P
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Wabz on 03-18-2006 at 09:03 PM

I like the idea of having a big banner at the top of the mainpage, and perhaps pages through the registration process it may take away about 50% of the n00bs from posting straight off. 

Well hopefully I remember how bad it got with Plus 3! towards release dates, when mess and neowin start talking about pre releases etc.

* Wabz just prays we don't see the nasty server load screen this time

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-18-2006 at 11:23 PM

what do you think WDZ, wanna get rid of half the useless spam thats happining these days?

My EMS incase you want to see how i layed it out

RE: RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by CookieRevised on 03-19-2006 at 12:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lordy16
Yeah i dont think anyone would read them neways. although then we can just copy a link to that sticky each time someone starts a thread about it.
That's the idea...

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
No, linking to a central topic would be better. Because when new info comes available you can simply update the topic.
Indeed. So even if people make a new thread with the questions and there is a reply with a link to the sticky, other people can easly find the new info also...

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider
What about a post on the website?
The website isn't read by people who come visiting here. Most people come from google or something, not from the website (I think)...

quote:
they don't look at threads, most noobies, just go to a forum whos title seems semi-appropriate, and then go striaght to the new thread button

just a sticky will not make anybody but us see it, if threads made a difference, all the noobs would be seeing other noob thread and posting in those ones
Tbh, if everybody thinks like that, this forum would be one big chaos.

Not to mention why do mods/admins/patchou/etc make stickies in the first place then? Why are there half-stickies...

Be sure that sticky thread ARE read by many people (and that includes new people). Of course not everybody (as in 100%) will read them, but if they prevent 1 out of 10 new threads, than they are usefull..

If every forum and its members think like that then of course nobody will get used to the term "sticky" and "important posts" and more and more people will think that posting duplicated threads is normal and the thing todo...

PS: And why do you think many people ask the same question over and over again. It is not only because they don't bother to search, but the factor of constantly useless threads pushing down the interesting threads in the latest post pages is also a big factor; Everything is connected with eachother.

-------------

There is no reason what-so-ever to not make a sticky thread about this and update it regulary (or when new info becomes available).

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-19-2006 at 12:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
quote:

Tbh, if everybody thinks like that, this forum would be one big chaos.

Not to mention why do mods/admins/patchou/etc make stickies in the first place then? Why are there half-stickies...

Be sure that sticky thread ARE read by many people (and that includes new people). Of course not everybody (as in 100%) will read them, but if they prevent 1 out of 10 new threads, than they are usefull..

If every forum and its members think like that then of course nobody will get used to the term "sticky" and "important posts".

PS: And why do you think many people ask the same question over and over again. It is not only because they don't bother to search, but the factor of constantly useless threads pushing down the interesting threads in the latest post pages is also a big factor; Everything is connected with eachother.
your forgeting, we're not talking about everybody, we're talking about people that don't search, don't read other posts, and just go striaght to posting a new thread and asking for it, stickys won't make a difference, because if they went to the proper forum, were the sticky would be located, there is most likly already another thread there asking for plus!live, if they don't read that thread, what make you so sure they would read a sticky
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by albert on 03-19-2006 at 12:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
There is no reason what-so-ever to not make a sticky thread about this and update it regulary (or when new info becomes available).

I think Cookie makes a point there, no one looses anything at doing this. Updating it a few times when dates are available or whatever will not hurt anyone. It will only make it easier for members to link newbies to a well documented page.

I'm up for that idea. (Y)
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by simsgenius on 03-19-2006 at 01:05 AM

because the people who ask that question don't read a thing and just come marching in asking and wait for an answer cause they're too lazy to look.

RE: RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by CookieRevised on 03-19-2006 at 01:08 AM

quote:
your forgeting, we're not talking about everybody, we're talking about people that don't search, don't read other posts, and just go striaght to posting a new thread and asking for it
We (at least I am) ARE talking about everybody.

The people you talk about are a minority, despite what you might think. And even if we are only talking for us, it would be also usefull for "us" only.

There are always people who don't search, but there are far less people who don't search AND don't look at a very first thread title AND don't read other threads AND just clicking on "New Thread".

As I said, if it saves 1 new thread out of every 10 new threads then it is worth while....

I seriously can not understand why you should not create such a sticky thread. There is no reason at all to not do it.

quote:
stickys won't make a difference, because if they went to the proper forum, were the sticky would be located, there is most likly already another thread there asking for plus!live, if they don't read that thread, what make you so sure they would read a sticky
I'm sure that not everybody is going to read it, and I also did not say or suggested that duplicated threads would be something from the past; they will always exist. But it isn't because 5 absolute n00bs don't read such a thread that nobody does.

People do not search because searching is an "art" so to speak, you wont always have result strait away, it takes time, etc. A sticky thread doesn't need to be searched...

Again, I really, really do not understand why a sticky should not be created and what is so bad about a sticky. It has nothing than advantages, there are no disadvantages at all ([sarcastic]other than maybe he/she who create it must actually make a new thread... whoooooo hard labor... we rather make spam threads...[/sarcastic])

quote:
Originally posted by simsgenius
because the people who ask that question don't read a thing and just come marching in asking and wait for an answer cause they're too lazy to look.
So? Again: what is the problem in having a sticky then? If everybody still comes marching in, you simply can link to the sticky.

Advantages:
- people have all the info at once (beta testers are choosen, is closed beta, release when finished, blahblah)
- no need for a thread with 10 posts and still not all the info. 1 reply and report the thread for closure, finished...
- you don't need to write anything in reply, just the link and "please read this" or "here is all the info you want"

In fact, a sticky means that you, as a helper, can be lazy and yet still helping people out...

---------------

And for those who claim that stickies don't work...

Take a look at when the "Blockcheckers do not work" thread was created and also look at its amount of views. Threads about blockcheckers dropped rapidly (of course from time to time people still make a thread of it, but that's to be expected, at least there aren't constantly threads about it anymore. Like it was before that sticky)...

Same with all the other existing stickies...
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-19-2006 at 01:55 AM

i'm not saying don't make a sticky, i'm saying put a small message at the top of the forum, directing those to the sticky, so EVERYbody can find it, nice and quickly

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Chrono on 03-19-2006 at 03:35 AM

I just posted a sticky thread about it, now if you think that something else should be added, please let me know :)
You can find the thread here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=57167

By the way, my opinion about stickies: It's just stupid that you dont want to have a sticky because "newbies wont read it". Then what are stickies for? Even if people dont read it, you can give them a link to the sticky and it will be easier for you :P.

I prefer a cticky thread rather than a banner or whatever you were talking about, because a banner will bother us, people who check the forums regularly, while a sticky thread will not :).

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-19-2006 at 04:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
I just posted a sticky thread about it, now if you think that something else should be added, please let me know :)
You can find the thread here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=57167

By the way, my opinion about stickies: It's just stupid that you dont want to have a sticky because "newbies wont read it". Then what are stickies for? Even if people dont read it, you can give them a link to the sticky and it will be easier for you :P.

I prefer a cticky thread rather than a banner or whatever you were talking about, because a banner will bother us, people who check the forums regularly, while a sticky thread will not :).

i agree with the sticky, but i think a SMALL banner, like on the mybb community forum, saying, "For info on Messenger plus! and WLM compatablity, click here"

that would not annoy me, it those threads that annoy me
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Discrate on 03-19-2006 at 08:00 AM

Somthing needs to be done, I think either put stickys up or put something in the sighnup page saying Do not ask when betas are coming out do not ask to be beta tester and what ever else.

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-19-2006 at 08:18 AM

there already is a sticky, chrono jsut made it, but the EMS idea would be best

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Poom on 03-19-2006 at 09:26 AM

I did not have a chance to check this for one day and this much has happened. :| We have a sticky now! =D Well, I have to fully agree with Chrono about...

quote:
By the way, my opinion about stickies: It's just stupid that you dont want to have a sticky because "newbies wont read it". Then what are stickies for? Even if people dont read it, you can give them a link to the sticky and it will be easier for you (Smilie).

At least it can reduce the amount of topics and it doesn't hurt if we have one.
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Menthix on 03-19-2006 at 10:50 AM

quote:
if you think that something else should be added, please let me know
I think you could add something like "Rumours say WLM final (non-beta) will be released to the public end April. But we haven't been able to confirm this with any trustable source".

The rumour is actually started by a Microsoft developer who works on WLM. He said it in the WLM beta chat on 16 March:
Q: [412] when is the next build going to release?
A: We build every day but the final should be late April - we hope.

But even what MS officials say in those beta chats can't always be trusted :). But atleast it's some kind of indication. Just make sure you say this is only a rumour and it could be earlier/later too.
RE: RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Poom on 03-19-2006 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX
quote:
if you think that something else should be added, please let me know
I think you could add something like "Rumours say WLM final (non-beta) will be released to the public end April. But we haven't been able to confirm this with any trustable source".

The rumour is actually started by a Microsoft developer who works on WLM. He said it in the WLM beta chat on 16 March:
Q: [412] when is the next build going to release?
A: We build every day but the final should be late April - we hope.

But even what MS officials say in those beta chats can't always be trusted :). But atleast it's some kind of indication. Just make sure you say this is only a rumour and it could be earlier/later too.

Isn't that more of a WLM related information instead of MSGP! Live related information?
RE: RE: RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by CookieRevised on 03-19-2006 at 01:37 PM

quote:
Isn't that more of a WLM related information instead of MSGP! Live related information?
Yes, but in this case it is related.

People who ask for Plus! Live often also ask about WLM or say that they know that Plus! will be released after WLM goes public and say that WLM is going to get pulbic and ask where is Plus! etc...

A note about beta testing, release date of Plus!, release date of WLM are all closely related and questions often asked in the same post.
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Menthix on 03-19-2006 at 01:39 PM

True, but MP!L release is strongly related to WLM release. Plus, after "When will MP!L release?" and "How can i become a tester?" the third most asked question is probably "When will WLM release?". So why not include that in the sticky as well.

EDIT: I type too slow :p

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Chrono on 03-19-2006 at 07:56 PM

Updated :P

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 03:34 AM

beta tester?

:dodgy: i told you a sticky alone wouldn't work, wheres that banner

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Chrono on 03-20-2006 at 03:39 AM

quote:
i told you a sticky alone wouldn't work, wheres that banner
You cant expect every newbie to read it... even if there was a banner, there would still be people who dont read it :P
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 03:53 AM

the banner is far easyer to notice, everyone goes to the main page, the sticky on the other hand, is in one forum, out of meny,

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Chrono on 03-20-2006 at 04:02 AM

186 views, not bad for a single day :)
Anyway, that's up for the admins :P. i still dont like the idea of having a dodgy banner/whatever telling me about something that i already know, everytime i check the forums :P

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Hank on 03-20-2006 at 04:05 AM

quote:

186 views, not bad for a single day (Smilie)
Anyway, that's up for the admins (Smilie). i still dont like the idea of having a dodgy banner/whatever telling me about something that i already know, everytime i check the forums

you know Chon but others dont, i'd support a banner being there. which would help/stop these questions being asked all the time in a thread
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Chrono on 03-20-2006 at 04:16 AM

would help as much or little more than the sticky thread in my opinion :P

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 04:24 AM

it would help alot more, we may know it, but i'd gladly look at a banner, then tell 100 people they can't beta test, OR  direct them to the sticky

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Hank on 03-20-2006 at 04:26 AM

quote:
would help as much or little more than the sticky thread in my opinion
i totally agree.. dont need a sticky thread.. just a Banner
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Chrono on 03-20-2006 at 04:26 AM

quote:
100? O_o
overreacting?
i saw just 1 thread about it today :P

still..
quote:
that's up to the admins
We should stop this discussions, they are obviously avoiding this thread so it's kinda useless :P

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
just a Banner
oh c'mon, you cant say everything i said on a banner, unless it's extremely big :P
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 04:35 AM

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
just a Banner
oh c'mon, you cant say everything i said on a banner, unless it's extremely big :P
but thats the thing, we're not asking for everything you said to be on a banner, we're asking for a banner that says something short like: "for information on the next verion of plus, and beta testing, please see this thread"
then link to your sticky
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Hank on 03-20-2006 at 05:14 AM

quote:
oh c'mon, you cant say everything i said on a banner, unless it's extremely big

keep whatever needs to be said, keep it short an sweet so it can fit on this banner
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Menthix on 03-20-2006 at 05:54 AM

I prefer how it is now. Seriously, you won't die from pointing a few people to the right direction. it wouldn't wrk anyway if you put the banner on the index page only because many people enter trough search engines which send them directly to topics. And putting the banner on every page will inly irritate most people after they read it once.

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 06:06 AM

OK, you people obusiouly are annoyed really easily if something like this annoys you, so i created what i think the banner should look like, and if your annoy by this then nothing can help you

just take a look at my attachment

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by lordy on 03-20-2006 at 06:08 AM

:dodgy: this hasnt really been an issue for other BETA releases so why is it now? Why does it matter if you hafta link a few people to the right thread, instead of having a honkin big ugly banner there?

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 06:10 AM

quote:
honkin big ugly banner there?
What are you talking about, thats is not a "honkin big ugly banner" its small and blends in nicly
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by lordy on 03-20-2006 at 06:12 AM

tbh it's ugly

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 06:15 AM

its just an example, 2 minutes in photoshop, OBVIOUSLY, it will be nicer and smaller if WDZ makes it

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by lordy on 03-20-2006 at 06:16 AM

anything there would just look ugly and out of place imo :undecided:

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 06:18 AM

quote:
anything there would just look ugly and out of place imo :undecided:
your impossable :dodgy:

WDZ, why don't you give it an attempt, and then let every one deside how it looks
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Dane on 03-20-2006 at 06:19 AM

I agree it hasnt been as big of an issue in other betas, but I think it is getting "Excessive" now and a nice, well blended banner would do some good.  Even if the banner just appeared in MsgPlus Help and Support, MsgPlus General Chat, and Bug reports, covering all areas a user might look for it.

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by lordy on 03-20-2006 at 06:19 AM

why is it such a big deal to have to link people to the sticky thread? :undecided:

RE: RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 06:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
I agree it hasnt been as big of an issue in other betas, but I think it is getting "Excessive" now and a nice, well blended banner would do some good.  Even if the banner just appeared in MsgPlus Help and Support, MsgPlus General Chat, and Bug reports, covering all areas a user might look for it.

exactly, another option, if you guys hate it so much, is to have an option to close it, or hide it, it could be open by default and if you find it annoying, you could click an X and hide it from your view
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by WDZ on 03-20-2006 at 06:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare in PM
does this really look as annoying as everyone thinks.

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=621090
lol, it looks terrible. :D

Putting a message on the index would be easy because that little feature is already coded, and I don't think it would bother too many regular users there. The usefulness of putting it on every page is debatable...
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 06:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Putting a message on the index would be easy because that little feature is already coded, and I don't think it would bother too many regular users there.

well then go ahead and put it in:P once people register, they go back to the index page and see it
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by WDZ on 03-20-2006 at 06:51 AM

ok... |-)

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 06:56 AM

see, that works, or a red font

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by lordy on 03-20-2006 at 07:01 AM

that would just look.... aweful

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 07:03 AM

quote:
that would just look.... aweful
you think everything looks awful:P

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by lordy on 03-20-2006 at 07:05 AM

it might make it stand out, but it WOULD look terrible.

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 07:10 AM

i don't think so

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by WDZ on 03-20-2006 at 07:23 AM

I messed with it a bit... the background color and bold text should make it pretty noticeable, and possibly more annoying... :refuck:

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 07:29 AM

i think its fine now, lets see how well this works:P

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by matty on 03-20-2006 at 07:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I messed with it a bit... the background color and bold text should make it pretty noticeable, and possibly more annoying... :refuck:
* matty slaps DZ...

add into the code temporarily

code:
if ($userid != 'Matty'){ // show the template }

please? kthnx :P

I don't really want to see it all the time but I guess for the time being it will be good so the new members stop requesting to have the beta or when it comes out or to be a tester.

Note the above code is fake I don't know the variable the usernames are stored in lol.
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by WDZ on 03-20-2006 at 07:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
add into the code temporarily
I hope you're joking... it can't be that annoying... :(
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Panic! on 03-20-2006 at 08:02 AM

Can't you code something that detects if a user has under 100 posts, so it shows to them or something?

Or have I already missed this in the thread? :$

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 08:22 AM

yes it is possable

code:
if ($mybb->user[postnum] < 100){
     //wdz's code
}

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Plik on 03-20-2006 at 08:33 AM

Never fear, userscripting is here.
For those of you who are running firefox with GreaseMonkey installed then you can use this userscript to remove the banner.

The userscript should remove the banner even if wdz decides to add it to everypage on the forum. And once wdz has removed the banner, it shouldn't cause any issues with future banners.

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by -dt- on 03-20-2006 at 08:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Plik
For those of you who are running firefox with GreaseMonkey installed then you can use this userscript to remove the banner.

The userscript should remove the banner even if wdz decides to add it to everypage on the forum. And once wdz has removed the banner, it shouldn't cause any issues with future banners.
err :-/ why add a load event? , greasemonkey is called on DOMContentLoaded , so you should be able to fuxxx the dom as much as you want then
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Plik on 03-20-2006 at 08:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:

err :-/ why add a load event? , greasemonkey is called on DOMContentLoaded , so you should be able to fuxxx the dom as much as you want then
* Plik forgot :sad:

updated it now :P, get it from the same link in my last post
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by -dt- on 03-20-2006 at 09:05 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:

err [Image: xso_undecided.gif] why add a load event? , greasemonkey is called on DOMContentLoaded , so you should be able to fuxxx the dom as much as you want then

* Plik forgot [Image: xso_sad.gif]

updated it now [Image: msn_tongue.gif], get it from the same link in my last post

:P i reupdated it.. also
quote:
Originally posted by checkin message

improved xpath , better error checking :P and removing the correct tag (br)

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Poom on 03-20-2006 at 09:52 AM

*is stunned*

TBH, I love having the banner only in the forum index and still can't see why people find it so annoying. :/ I do not see why someone cannot live without a function to disable that banner, as you wouldnt be looking at the index that often.

If you seriously cannot live with that, Adblock Plus! 0.6 would do very well.

@Nitemare: You don't need to always comment on other people when they find your work not so good, you know...

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Pyroteq on 03-20-2006 at 10:17 AM

great banner guys :p

Oh well.. it will stop about 99% of annoying threads i guess.

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by qgroessl on 03-20-2006 at 12:25 PM

I like it... alot actually... should help

RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by NiteMare on 03-20-2006 at 04:33 PM

quote:
@Nitemare: You don't need to always comment on other people when they find your work not so good, you know...
it wasn't my work i was commenting about:P, i know it looked bad, i'm not perfect with photoshop, i was commenting about the banner in general, but yes this banner looks good:)
RE: I think we should have a new sticky.. by Chrono on 03-20-2006 at 05:22 PM

Thread closed, as the dodgy banner was finally added :P

If you think that i should change/add something to that thread, please PM me :)