Shoutbox

random (ish) reboots - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: random (ish) reboots (/showthread.php?tid=57189)

random (ish) reboots by stoshrocket on 03-19-2006 at 05:03 PM

ok, i have got a new comp lately, and its been running perfectly fine. One of the first things i did was install a seperate firewall to replace the windows one, install AVG anti-virus and install Ad-Aware SE Personal; i do regular scans with both. Yet sometimes, about every two days when i click on a link (on any site, none in particular and when i revisit it seems fine) and the content is displayed after a second or two my computer just reboots. This only seems to happen when browsing the internet though and doesnt really happen on any particular page, it seems random. I cant find anything with AVG or Ad-Aware, and dont know if it will be a hardware or software problem. Any ideas? cheers,

btw, im using mozilla firefox v1.5, windows xp home sp2

RE: random (ish) reboots by Mike on 03-19-2006 at 05:11 PM

Did you check the event log?
Start -> Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Log

Also, you might try disabling automatic reboot when a BSOD shows up: Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> Uncheck "Automaticlly Restart"

If this happens again and a BSOD pops up, you should tell us what error it says ;)

RE: random (ish) reboots by Voldemort on 03-19-2006 at 05:30 PM

Tried internet Explorer?

RE: random (ish) reboots by Wabz on 03-19-2006 at 06:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bto
Tried internet Explorer?

Tried what?  If you mean a problem I don't really think Internet Explorer would cause a reboot this often especially on a new machine.

I'm curious when you say new machine do you mean self built, from shop , or 2nd hand perhaps this may shed some light on the subject
RE: random (ish) reboots by stoshrocket on 03-19-2006 at 06:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Also, you might try disabling automatic reboot when a BSOD shows up: Start -> Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Startup and Recovery -> Uncheck "Automaticlly Restart"

done :)

quote:
Did you check the event log?
Start -> Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tools -> Event Log

hmm... would this show what happened before it rebooted itself though?? ive only glanced at it atm, just trying to google an answer for the past hour...

quote:
If this happens again and a BSOD pops up, you should tell us what error it says

not had a BSOD on this machine, ever, but if it does pop up and i think its related to the prob, ill post the result

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
Tried what?  If you mean a problem I don't really think Internet Explorer would cause a reboot this often especially on a new machine.

I'm curious when you say new machine do you mean self built, from shop , or 2nd hand perhaps this may shed some light on the subject

its never happened in IE but i never use IE anyway, ill browse with IE for a few days to see if it reboots with IE as well and its not some freak thing with FF. As for where my machine came from, i built it myself, but had alot of help from my dad who has been building them for years....
RE: random (ish) reboots by Killers2 on 03-19-2006 at 06:43 PM

my old pc did that once when i had old driver instaled into my pc

RE: random (ish) reboots by YourNeibour on 03-19-2006 at 07:10 PM

Your PC may be overheating wich is causing the reboots.

RE: random (ish) reboots by stoshrocket on 03-19-2006 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
Your PC may be overheating wich is causing the reboots.
tbh i dont think so, although it could be, i thought i had more than enough cooling within my PC, two large stock fans in the case plus the regular ones on all of the components needed (CPU, PSU, Gfx Card)... :undecided:
RE: random (ish) reboots by Reaper on 03-19-2006 at 08:08 PM

get CPUCool, to check the temperature of your PC

RE: random (ish) reboots by stoshrocket on 03-19-2006 at 08:13 PM

ive already got a guru panel connected to my pc monitoring all of my temps; ive just tested my cpu at 100% for 10 mins (using sandra) and the temp is 25/26(c) and the sys is 34(c)....

RE: random (ish) reboots by Reaper on 03-19-2006 at 08:26 PM

ok so that rules out the temperature idea. have you tried a system restore to maybe as far back as before installing Ad-Aware, etc.

RE: random (ish) reboots by stoshrocket on 03-19-2006 at 08:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
ok so that rules out the temperature idea. have you tried a system restore to maybe as far back as before installing Ad-Aware, etc.

thats just what im trying to avoid :undecided: ive already built my computer back up with my pref progs... but if i cant figure it out then i'll prob just do a clean install and start fresh... <sigh> thanks for helping anyway guys! ill keep my comp as it is for a few days, if it does it again a couple of times, im gonna just do the fresh. Thanks!