Shoutbox

Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! (/showthread.php?tid=57278)

Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by gozzy on 03-21-2006 at 08:56 AM

Be careful MsgPlus can be very dangerous. In my school most of people who have installed the latest version have their buddy list deleted !!!

So if you want to install MsgPlus you must have a backup. Hotmail list is not a backup and is deleted also.

I would be nice if the setup make a warning that say that in many cases MsgPlus  can delete buddy list.

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by lordy on 03-21-2006 at 08:58 AM

MsgPlus has never deleted my budyd list at all :undecided: it must be something else they are doing, because msgplus wouldn't mess with your contacts

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Dane on 03-21-2006 at 09:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gozzy
Be careful MsgPlus can be very dangerous. In my school most of people who have installed the latest version have their buddy list deleted !!!

So if you want to install MsgPlus you must have a backup. Hotmail list is not a backup and is deleted also.

I would be nice if the setup make a warning that say that in many cases MsgPlus  can delete buddy list.

Messenger Plus! does no such thing.  They are obviously doing something in common and inadvertently doing it themselves.

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by gozzy on 03-21-2006 at 10:54 AM

No the problem is done by MsgPlus. We have launched Msn Messenger as specified in the setup and installing it. The installation has delete the buddy list. I don't believe that some many people can make a same mistake to delete buddy list.

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by lordy on 03-21-2006 at 10:56 AM

messenger plus doesnt alter your contacts at all so it's not messenger plus... it's not ever done this to mine... it must be something else.

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Sunshine on 03-21-2006 at 11:01 AM

They didn't install MSGPlusLive 4.0.2006.0566 by any chance now did they?

That is not an official Msg Plus! version, it's a virus!

Always download from the official Msg Plus! site or one of the official mirrors mentioned on the site: http://www.msgplus.net

This has been reported in Can't view any contact with MsgPlus.

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by gozzy on 03-21-2006 at 11:42 AM

Yes it's MSGPlusLive 4.0.2006.0566

We can't download from official because they are not compatible with WLM. So we have no choice we must download on others sites.

Thank for the information what MSGPlusLive 4.0.2006.0566 is a virus. We will look for others links with a good version.

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by lordy on 03-21-2006 at 11:44 AM

there is NO messenger plus! compatible with WLM until the Messenger Plus! Live release, which won't happen until AFTER the WLm release. so you'll just have to be patient.

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Sunshine on 03-21-2006 at 11:47 AM

quote:

We can't download from official because they are not compatible with WLM. So we have no choice we must download on others sites.

Thank for the information what MSGPlusLive 4.0.2006.0566 is a virus. We will look for others links with a good version.
If it aint on the official site then it doesn't exist ;)
RE: RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by CookieRevised on 03-21-2006 at 11:59 AM

quote:

MSGPlusLive 4.0.2006.0566 is FAKE, it is a VIRUS. Made by malicious people. There is NOTHING officially about it. It is made to put MsgPlus! in a bad daylight.

As Sunshine said, if an official public version aint available yet, then there is no official public version. PERIOD.

NEVER EVER download programs from other links than the official sites!!! This doesn't only go for Messenger Plus!, but for EVERY program or tool...

quote:
We will look for others links with a good version.
There is NO good version yet. Messenger Plus! Live is still in beta and not released yet.

And there is no other place to look for Messenger Plus! then on the official sites:
http://www.msgplus.net/
http://www.msgpluslive.net/

Also see:
About Messenger Plus! for Windows Live Messenger (MSN 8)
RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Matti on 03-21-2006 at 01:20 PM

Maybe we should add that to the MP!L sticky. It seems like many people downloaded this malware and it could give MP!L a bad name even before it's released... :-/
What do you think?

RE: RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by CookieRevised on 03-21-2006 at 01:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mattike
Maybe we should add that to the MP!L sticky. It seems like many people downloaded this malware and it could give MP!L a bad name even before it's released... :-/
What do you think?
I agree... hence why I already PM'd Chrono about this a few hours ago...
RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by gozzy on 03-21-2006 at 02:46 PM

Some of my friends have Norton Antivirus or Kaspersky Antivirus and they said they don't see any virus alert. So it's not a virus !

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Plik on 03-21-2006 at 03:03 PM

quote:
Some of my friends have Norton Antivirus or Kaspersky Antivirus and they said they don't see any virus alert. So it's not a virus !
If the companys havn't recognised the virus yet, or if your friends havn't got their definitions upto date then the AV programs won't recognise it.
RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Eljay on 03-21-2006 at 03:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Plik
quote:
If the companys havn't recognised the virus yet, or if your friends havn't got their definitions upto date then the AV programs won't recognise it.

also it doesnt do anything that an antivirus would pick up on, im guessing all it does is loop through your contacts and delete them using the messenger API.
RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by NiteMare on 03-21-2006 at 05:22 PM

quote:
So it's not a virus !

no matter WHAT you think, that IS a virus. there is NO version 4.0.2006.566 in existance, and there is NO WLM compatable version, do not find other sites that host Plus!, stick with the offical site, its common sence taht if its not on the official site, it doesn't exist, and if it doesn't exist, and you've found a site claming they have it, in this day and age, its a virus

RE: RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by joemailey on 03-22-2006 at 01:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
They didn't install MSGPlusLive 4.0.2006.0566 by any chance now did they?

That is not an official Msg Plus! version, it's a virus!

Always download from the official Msg Plus! site or one of the official mirrors mentioned on the site: http://www.msgplus.net

This has been reported in Can't view any contact with MsgPlus.

Instances like this a simple softcore version of msgplus!live would solve any issues of a virus lol.

but unfortunely it would take just as long to code :-)
RE: RE: RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by CookieRevised on 03-22-2006 at 08:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joemailey
Instances like this a simple softcore version of msgplus!live would solve any issues of a virus lol.
It wouldn't. In fact it will make things worse...

Reason being that if a "small" version of Plus! is released, people will still demand for an update (so they actually can have some features back). The virusmaker will of course jump on this and creat such an "update". And because the virusmaker now has a very clear view of how Plus! looks (GUI) and what the version number is, he/she can make it a lot more like the official Plus! and people would have far bigger problems to see that it is fake..
RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by di3s3lx on 03-22-2006 at 09:50 PM

Umm a friend of mine had his MSG Plus automatically updated today and got his  contact list deleted. I asked him if he downloaded anything like the MsgPlusLive 4.0.2006.0566 he said no, he told me his msg plus was automatically updated. Is there someone hacking the released version?

I've unistalled the Plus! last released to avoid this from happening to me. I think someone should check the latest build released maybe there's something someone can use to update the build to the virus one.

I think this is someone just trying to sabotage the Plus Live version b4 coming out. So Im guessing the Live Plus thing should come out soon to shut up those ********** BEEP ******** ppl

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Plik on 03-22-2006 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by di3s3lx
Umm a friend of mine had his MSG Plus automatically updated today and got his  contact list deleted. I asked him if he downloaded anything like the MsgPlusLive 4.0.2006.0566 he said no, he told me his msg plus was automatically updated. Is there someone hacking the released version?

Mine hasn't tried to update, and it doesn't sound like it has happened to anyone else :-/

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by [MR] on 03-22-2006 at 10:02 PM

quote:

I've unistalled the Plus! last released to avoid this from happening to me. I think someone should check the latest build released maybe there's something someone can use to update the build to the virus one.

I think this is someone just trying to sabotage the Plus Live version b4 coming out. So Im guessing the Live Plus thing should come out soon to shut up those ********** BEEP ******** ppl
are you sure you didnt download a fake version of msg plus that will autoupdate to a newer faker version to delete the contact list?

RE: RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by CookieRevised on 03-22-2006 at 10:40 PM

quote:
There hasn't been any update since a very long time. Plus! will therefore not be updated (automatically or not), let alone update to an unoffical malicious program.

There is also no way that anybody can change the official version listed on the official website.

If he/she does change Plus!, it would be a his own locally saved version, not the version you download from the official website (again a reason to ONLY download from official sites!)

quote:
I've unistalled the Plus! last released to avoid this from happening to me.
There is no reason what-so-ever to uninstall an official version downloaded from the official website.

quote:
I think someone should check the latest build released maybe there's something someone can use to update the build to the virus one.
It can not. Programs don't work like that. eg: I can not write a piece of program on my computer which all of a sudden magically changes some random program's behaviour on my friends computer.

If you always download from official sites and don't install anything else like dodgy stuff from other sites, there is no danger at all. And in doubt, simply redownload and reinstall the program (from the official site) and/or at least check version numbers against what is posted on official sites.

quote:
I think this is someone just trying to sabotage the Plus Live version b4 coming out.
Nobody can sabotage anything unless they break in into Patchou's house and get behind his computer and start messing with the code.

quote:
So Im guessing the Live Plus thing should come out soon to shut up those ********** BEEP ******** ppl
It will come out when it is ready. Releasing something half-finished or even something with no features will actually be worse... see my previous reply...
RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Menthix on 03-22-2006 at 11:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Nobody can sabotage anything unless they break in into Patchou's house and get behind his computer and start messing with the code.
Hacking the server that deals with the auto-update would be enough too :).

But I highly doubt that's the case, there would have been way more reports if that really was the case. I guess the fake Plus! maybe imitates like there is a new Plus! version. Maybe by letting infected users spread messages to their contacts that say something like "There is a new version of Messenger Plus!, accept this file to install it".
RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Plik on 03-22-2006 at 11:09 PM

Also, wouldn't Messenger plus never autoupdate to Messenger plus live? :-/

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Menthix on 03-22-2006 at 11:13 PM

Not without asking your permission first at least.

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Chris4 on 03-22-2006 at 11:17 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MenthiX

Hope it does. Gets annoying, some people having MSN Messenger, some having Windows Live Messenger.
RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by NiteMare on 03-23-2006 at 12:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
quote:
quote:

Hope it does. Gets annoying, some people having MSN Messenger, some having Windows Live Messenger.
well seeing as plus! live will be only for WLM, the ond plus will probualy only update for plus!, and the new plus! live , for plus!live only
RE: RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Chris4 on 03-23-2006 at 01:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
quote:
quote:

well seeing as plus! live will be only for WLM, the ond plus will probualy only update for plus!, and the new plus! live , for plus!live only

Yeah... think I got that.
RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Dane on 03-23-2006 at 03:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
quote:
quote:
quote:

Never doubt the fact of a dual setup program....could be possible, dunno...

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Menthix on 03-23-2006 at 06:33 AM

No, it will be two seperate setup files. Filesize will get too big otherwise.

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by Chestah on 03-23-2006 at 09:19 AM

As Cookie mentioned it is ABSOLUTELY IMPERATIVE to download Msgplus from www.msgplus.net

Do not download Msgplus from any other source as it cannot be guaranted to be free of VIRUSES or other malacious content. Msgplus Live! will be released on www.msgpluslive.net . Do not download any files claiming to be Msgplus Live as it is a high chance they are viruses.

So in iteration.. ONLY download Msgplus from www.msgplus.net - the official and trusted source.

RE: Warning MsgPlus is dangerous !!! by lordy on 03-23-2006 at 01:02 PM

or the official mirror site of course.

http://www.simtel.net/product.download.mirrors.php?id=62787