Shoutbox

Lite version of messenger? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Lite version of messenger? (/showthread.php?tid=57394)

Lite version of messenger? by Dan0208 on 03-24-2006 at 05:54 AM

Hey,
I was wondering if anyone knew of a light version of a messenger program that supports msn contacts.
I have been taking my laptop to uni every now and then and have had times when i need to contact people through msn. We have a web quota at uni so i dont want something with display pictures, many graphics etc just a basic one. I had already thought a webmessenger but that refreshes or reloads so often that it cant be doing any good to my quota.
Can anyone recommend any programs to help me with this?
Thanks everyone.

RE: Lite version of messenger? by NiteMare on 03-24-2006 at 06:00 AM

hmmm, i think trillion might be good, its got a free version, although i haven't used it in ages, i think it was rather limited in its useage, maybe some otehr members could verify that

RE: Lite version of messenger? by haydos on 03-24-2006 at 06:03 AM

Why dont you just use Windows Messenger?

RE: Lite version of messenger? by Dan0208 on 03-24-2006 at 06:03 AM

Yea i had heard about trillian and miranda and i hear there is many more too. but i have never used any others besides msn so i was wondering if anyone else had any idea either

RE: Lite version of messenger? by Hank on 03-24-2006 at 06:37 AM

http://icq-4u.com/?pid=clones some listed there .. i know its an icq url but has some clones like trillian/miranda

RE: Lite version of messenger? by aNILEator on 03-24-2006 at 09:28 AM

My ideal Messenger would be current WLM GUI, Nudges, display Pictures (preferably including custom animated support), Custom/animated emoticons, Live Contacts, tabbed conversations, webcam, audio, Sync File Lists*, Group Convo's, Limited Games and Activities, Export Contacts To Groups, Free Mobile SMS messages, Ink (a picture tells a thousand words), File Transfer, No Packs (who uses them anway :P), No adverts, No Search Button, No buy This Now Crap,

*Like the new share folders features but doesn't take up all the space, eg all thats in there is a dynamic list of files from other folders that it shares eg file="Cool Pic"location="C:\coolpic.jpg"

RE: Lite version of messenger? by Dan0208 on 03-24-2006 at 11:37 AM

haha Fukafly that sounds great. I too would like that. But in this situation it seems like quite the opposite of what im after...

RE: Lite version of messenger? by Unwritten Law on 03-24-2006 at 11:46 AM

i dont like trillian i have used it and its very hard to get used to :D

RE: Lite version of messenger? by EvilSeph on 03-24-2006 at 01:31 PM

Just use Windows Messenger, it's what companies are *supposed* to use. It is free of most of the MSN Messenger bloat and is what MSN Messenger 4 was like.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmessenger/default.mspx

RE: Lite version of messenger? by hikarii on 03-26-2006 at 02:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by haydn
Why dont you just use Windows Messenger?
I agree to this. Windows messenger havent got those cosmetic designs that MSN Messenger has. Also, it does not contain display picture functions and hence i believe is a feasible idea to your problem =)