Shoutbox

Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help (/showthread.php?tid=57429)

Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by hypedupmonkey on 03-25-2006 at 11:27 AM

I have toiled for hours on end to get a Wireless File and Printer sharing network over 802.11g/b for the teo Computers in my household.

Yet, after all that, I have got nowhere. I have tried googling for websites for help and advice but yet nothing. I followed steps but still nothing. So, i thought some of you may be able to help (as I like advice with a real person rather than reading from a site).

Some background info if needed;
• Both computers are running Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
• Both computers have BT Voyager 1040 PCI 802.11b/g Adapters installed
• Connecting to a BT Voyager 2100 ADSL Wireless Router/Modem

I have included a diagram showing some details and images of what I have so far.

If someone could give me steps on how to get the two computers connected or point me to a "Reliable" website that will help me in my problem, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
hyped

RE: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by MattyRid on 03-25-2006 at 12:07 PM

I had a friend recommend to me Network Magic however, I've noticed that it works better on XP Professional.

I went through the same thing until I started using Network Magic which has solved many hassles.

RE: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by tomfletcherman on 03-25-2006 at 07:02 PM

Networking is a pain, and I have exactly the same problem as you, my computers on the network wont communicate with each other. This is a problem for me because I can't access files on different computer hard drives. Before we got a wireless/network printer I couldn't share the printer either. If your printer has an ethernet socket you could plug it into the router. Something to take note of is that the comunication you have drawn that goes between your two computers would mean the were in ad-hoc mode, which they aren't, it is worth remembering that any communication between your computer and your family's goes through your router first.

RE: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by Triton-03 on 03-25-2006 at 07:39 PM

Networking is always a problem but try this. Open control panel and click on system. then click the tab that says "Computer Name" then click where it says "change" make sure the workgroup on both computers is the same and the computer names are not the same. Then go to printers in control panel on the computer that has the printer installed. Click the tab that says "Sharing" change the sharing name to like "Printer1" and then go to the other computer that does not have it installed.. click add printer. add printer from network and put in the exact url .. lets say your computer name is nemesis and the printer sharing name is printer1 then the url should be \\nemesis\printer1.

Hope this works...

RE: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by Voldemort on 03-25-2006 at 08:53 PM

Look, do the thing Triton says, then use network magic (link above), and problems solved :P
I did it that way..
Surfi pointed me to network magic

RE: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by hypedupmonkey on 03-26-2006 at 08:12 AM

I just used Network Magic and it's connected them a snap.
I didn't need to play around, it just connected them for me.

I think the reason the SOHO wizard in XP wasn't working is because Norton Personal Firewall (Installed on my PC) was blocking networking IP address or whatever...

Network Magic opens the wizard and configured it for me.
Thanks TheItalianStallion

RE: RE: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by MattyRid on 03-26-2006 at 11:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hypedupmonkey
Network Magic opens the wizard and configured it for me.
Thanks TheItalianStallion

No problem. After all, having been through the same problem with a number of my friends, I instantly knew what needed to be done.

Just so you know my speciality is networks. In particular windows and I do have a good but limited knowledge of Novell as I'm still learning it.
RE: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by tomfletcherman on 03-26-2006 at 06:26 PM

Just a few questions about network magic:

Does it need to remain installed after the file sharing has been set up?
Will it cause any security threats?
Does it just change options in windows that can be changed manually?

RE: RE: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by MattyRid on 03-26-2006 at 08:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tomfletcherman

Yes

quote:
Will it cause any security threats?

No. Network Magic also comes with an intruder detection facility which can be turned either on or off.

quote:
Does it just change options in windows that can be changed manually?

yes but these settings can be hard to find depending on what operating system you use. Also it allows the router to send files, printing jobs etc. by slightly changing how the data is sent to the router.
RE: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by Triton-03 on 03-28-2006 at 05:38 AM

Note: I am just a 16 year old computer programmer.. I suck at networking.. i am good fixing hardware and making computer programs. :-D.. yep yep I'm a comuter geek! :D.. but i do have a social life

RE: RE: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by MattyRid on 03-28-2006 at 05:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Triton-03
I suck at networking

Don't worry, I have the expertise in the area and generally when it's a home network it tends to be a piece of cake. But when I comes to things like Novell (:@) it can really be complicated for those that don't know how or what to do.

Note: the (:@) emoticon is the to show how much I despise Novell...trust me they can really suck depending on what needs to be done.
RE: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by hypedupmonkey on 03-28-2006 at 11:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TheItalianStallion
quote:

Originally posted by tomfletcherman

Yes

No, it doesn't. Seeing as it was only a trial edition, I unistalled it. The network is still working fine for me, (Yet I have to share folders through Windows rather than Network Magic, Which I find easier anyway). I can access folders and printers through My Network Places

RE: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by MattyRid on 03-28-2006 at 08:19 PM

There's a reason why I said yes. After you set it up and whatever, I find that by having Network Magic Installed I can very easily diagnose problems within a home network. Which then allows Network Magic's features such as file sharing to be used.

RE: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by hypedupmonkey on 03-28-2006 at 08:52 PM

Ahh, sorry. I thought you meant in general to keep the network connected.

I thought about that too but I'm just very picky and a perfectionist. So it had to go :D

RE: Wireless File and Printer Sharing Network Help by tomfletcherman on 03-29-2006 at 05:44 PM

Could you describe how to set up sharing folders please?
The problem being that I want to do this through windows, and even though I have sharing enabled the folders don't show up in my network places, and the computer is inaccesible, sometimes giving me the 'you might not have permission error' and sometimes the 'unspecified logon type' error, or sometimes it refuses to believe the other computer is there.

Yet when I connect a LAN cable between two laptops at school, I can access the other persons files.