Shoutbox

Daylight Savings - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Daylight Savings (/showthread.php?tid=57447)

Daylight Savings by lordy on 03-25-2006 at 11:06 PM

This morning, the clock on my computer automatically moved back one hour, as it would when daylight savings finishes. However, daylight savings in Victoria/New South Wales in Australia doesnt finish until the 2nd of April this year, as it was extended because of the Commonwealth Games. Obviously Microsoft didnt put this information into their time servers, and it was automatically changed.

So if anyone noticed their clocks moved back an hour, and you are in Victoria or New South Wales, it's not the end of daylight savings, so just move it forward an hour again :tongue:

RE: Daylight Savings by Menthix on 03-25-2006 at 11:19 PM

Bleh. Clocks here (Netherlands) will be put a hour forward in about 2 hours. 1 hour less to study tomorrow (or 1 hour less sleep tonight) :s.

RE: Daylight Savings by Wabz on 03-25-2006 at 11:35 PM

Blah clocks go forward an hour soon :(

Hour less sleep :dodgy:

But I think they're leaving it like this and not putting them back in Autumn this year

RE: Daylight Savings by Hank on 03-25-2006 at 11:39 PM

Microsoft released a 'patch' for this lordy by rights it should be in your windowsUpdate

RE: Daylight Savings by Plik on 03-25-2006 at 11:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz
But I think they're leaving it like this and not putting them back in Autumn this year
Thats still under debate :P, the bill got rejected the first time, and its getting re-read nowish.

I'd rather have lighter mornings :-/
RE: Daylight Savings by Menthix on 03-26-2006 at 12:06 AM

Nah, dark mornings are exccelent. Sun is way to bright when you wake up and still half sleeping.

RE: Daylight Savings by GiantSpider on 03-26-2006 at 12:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Wabz

Is that in the British Parliment or European? I like it the way it is.
RE: RE: Daylight Savings by rav0 on 03-27-2006 at 06:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Animal
Microsoft released a 'patch' for this lordy by rights it should be in your windowsUpdate
I got the first edition of it (not very user friendly) from http://support.microsoft.com/. The new one is there now, you can get it if you want it, for a few days.
RE: Daylight Savings by Stigmata on 03-27-2006 at 06:41 AM

i dont see how the government can change time :S

RE: Daylight Savings by lordy on 03-27-2006 at 06:42 AM

they don't change time, they decide when daylight savings starts and stops :tongue:

RE: Daylight Savings by Stigmata on 03-27-2006 at 06:43 AM

its that bit i dont get...

shouldnt it be a set date every year?

RE: Daylight Savings by lordy on 03-27-2006 at 06:45 AM

it usually starts first weekend of october finishes the last weekend of march or something along those lines...

but they extended it this year for the commonwealth games :tongue:

RE: Daylight Savings by user27089 on 03-27-2006 at 06:46 AM

Like Animal said, the patch would've been in the Windows Update... I don't see why they should changed the date of daylight savings for some stupid games to be honest. I hate when the clocks go backwards or forwards :p. You have to wake up an hour earlier than usual 8-).

RE: Daylight Savings by rav0 on 03-27-2006 at 06:47 AM

They obviously can't warp the universe.

Though they decide on almost everything, even things that you see as common sense have been decided by the government, and could easily be changed, though the people responsible for a stupid change wouldn't be very popular soon after. They have decided that the time system that we use is the time system that we use, though you'd just expect people to give you the time as something like 5:24 PM anyway, not, 42 thonkgs after the sun passed the big tree.

lordy16 posted that New South Wales and Victoria have had the end of daylight savings postponed by one week. Queensland doesn't even have daylight savings at all.

RE: Daylight Savings by Stigmata on 03-27-2006 at 06:47 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I hate when the clocks go backwards or forwards . You have to wake up an hour earlier than usual .

i remember last year being in limbo..

running around drunk saying "time is not my friend"..
RE: Daylight Savings by lordy on 03-27-2006 at 06:48 AM

I didnt get the patch :dodgy:

I don't see the point in daylight savings at all :P

RE: Daylight Savings by Chestah on 03-27-2006 at 07:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lordy16
I didnt get the patch :dodgy:

I don't see the point in daylight savings at all :P

theres some quite obvious benefits of it lordy16 :P
RE: Daylight Savings by lordy on 03-27-2006 at 07:51 AM

what? longer daylight hours? yay, more time in the sun :cheesy:

I like night time better kthx

RE: Daylight Savings by Chestah on 03-27-2006 at 08:10 AM

quote:

what? longer daylight hours? yay, more time in the sun

exactly! :P

lol get on msn i have sent various offline messages to you ;)
RE: Daylight Savings by Discrate on 03-27-2006 at 08:29 AM

quote:
This morning, the clock on my computer automatically moved back one hour, as it would when daylight savings finishes. However, daylight savings in Victoria/New South Wales in Australia doesnt finish until the 2nd of April this year, as it was extended because of the Commonwealth Games. Obviously Microsoft didnt put this information into their time servers, and it was automatically changed.

So if anyone noticed their clocks moved back an hour, and you are in Victoria or New South Wales, it's not the end of daylight savings, so just move it forward an hour again :tongue:

I heard now in Victoria that you have to set your clock back one hour on the 4th of april now. I dont know if that is true or not. Well anyway my computers time hasn't changed.
RE: Daylight Savings by Pyroteq on 03-27-2006 at 09:08 AM

screw the patch, adjust it yourself.. Thats what i did when my computer changed. What lazy person needs a patch to change a clock for them?

RE: Daylight Savings by rav0 on 03-27-2006 at 09:27 AM

It's the second of April.

If you adjust the time yourself, you will have to adjust it back again anyway :S.

With the patch, the computer knows when daylight savings really stops, and will only restore the time then.