Shoutbox

Motherboard help pleeeaseee - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Motherboard help pleeeaseee (/showthread.php?tid=57495)

Motherboard help pleeeaseee by YourNeibour on 03-27-2006 at 01:31 AM

Hi,

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=...el=765&modelmenu=1

I just bought a  Asus P5V800-MX and mounted it into my case.  Now I can't figure out on that board how to connect the power led and front panel reset button etc....I  looked in the book but didn't say much in the way of colours.  Any help would be really appreciated.

RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by Voldemort on 03-27-2006 at 01:37 AM

I think it should be labeled see... i have not seen your MB... but check.. and reread the manual...it should help...

RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by YourNeibour on 03-27-2006 at 01:39 AM

It does say in the manual but It doesn't give me wich colours go wich way...does that make sense?

RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by brian on 03-27-2006 at 01:58 AM

You need to check your case for wires in it, they generally should be labeled such as "RSTBTN" or so.

After you've done that and identified which wire means what.  Refer to your manual (or http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5V...2260_p5v800-mx.pdf if you have lost it) into page 1-30.  :)

RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by YourNeibour on 03-27-2006 at 01:59 AM

they are but they they are different colours like blue-white power button and just want to put it in right and not backwards or does it not matter?

RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by Voldemort on 03-27-2006 at 02:49 AM

Yes it does...

RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by Adeptus on 03-27-2006 at 02:55 AM

Hi,

Buttons and the speaker will work fine connected either way.  The LEDs (power and drive lights) won't work if the polarity is reversed, but it won't damage anything either -- you could just try it and turn the wires around if they don't light up. 

If the polarity on the board or in the manual is indicated with "+" and/or "-",  then the positive ("+") pin goes to the colored lead and the negative goes to the white (or sometimes black) lead.  A dot or some other mark near one of the pins usually indicates positive.

However, as said above, nothing will blow up if you get it backwards and it will only make a difference for the LEDs.   Don't stress about it too much. :)

RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by YourNeibour on 03-27-2006 at 02:55 AM

So I need to go and find an actual chart with what is grounding is what is not or is the rule of thumb, the site with wrting inside.

RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by Adeptus on 03-27-2006 at 03:03 AM

In most PC cases, you will usually have twisted pairs of wires.  For example, the hard drive light will usually have white and orange wires twisted together.  Orange is positive and white is negative (unless your case manufacturer was a n00b).

RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by YourNeibour on 03-27-2006 at 03:06 AM

No it's not a newbie here is my case:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTool...No=1874139&CatId=0

RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by Hank on 03-27-2006 at 04:00 AM

who makes the power suply?  email them an ask or if they have a description on the page of the wires

RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by CookieRevised on 03-27-2006 at 04:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
So I need to go and find an actual chart with what is grounding is what is not or is the rule of thumb, the site with wrting inside.

for the power button it doesn't matter. For the led it either will lit (if you got it right) or not (if you got it wrong).

As Adeptus has said:

For the power button and power led it doesn't matter really.

This is because the button simply makes or breaks a contact. So it doesn't matter if the positive side is switched or negative side. For the led it will either lit or not.

Nothing will be damaged if you got it wrong though (for the power button and/or power led).
RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by Pyroteq on 03-27-2006 at 04:49 AM

everything should be labelled on your board, just have a look near the connection. on mine it says PWR_LED, SPKR, HDD_LED etc...

My bad i didnt read correctly, in that case its pretty much what cookie said.. Trial and error.. or another good way is to find the same make of motherboard and have a look how thiers is.

RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by YourNeibour on 03-27-2006 at 01:27 PM

But if I am going to test the MOBO and just the MOBO I don't really need to install the HD or Videocard just plug the MOBO into the powersupply and let it rip if it works the Fan should spin right?

RE: RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by CookieRevised on 03-27-2006 at 01:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour
But if I am going to test the MOBO and just the MOBO I don't really need to install the HD or Videocard just plug the MOBO into the powersupply and let it rip if it works the Fan should spin right?
yes and no.... the fan will spin (if connected right of course) but that doesn't nessecairly main the mobo works perfect as the fan might simply gets its power indirectly (thru the mobo) from the psu; Though the mobo might control the speed of the fan, the direct power of the fan isn't controlled by the mobo. (Even on a mobo with some broken chips the fan might be spinning as it draws power from the psu thru the mobo).

But you indeed will know if there is power going thru the mobo or not (to the fan; as that on its turn doesn't mean everything which needs some power gets some power).

To know for sure that the mobo works (in general) hook up a monitor to the mobo and watch the post-messages.
RE: Motherboard help pleeeaseee by YourNeibour on 03-27-2006 at 01:55 PM

ok, sorry for all the quesion, first time assembling a PC and a bit paranoid, don't wanna hook everything up and realize that the mobo isn't working or something fried.