Shoutbox

Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live (/showthread.php?tid=57649)

Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by RebelSean on 03-30-2006 at 05:01 AM

I'm sure you are all wondering, what exactly does Messenger Plus! Live have in store for the ten million users+? Well I'm going to introduce you to the new product as well as give some detailed information on the new product. Keep reading!

First off, lets look at the installation. With a brand new product, you can expect a new user interface. Plus! Live has been completely re-designed from scratch. Patchou, Guido, and a to my knowledge a new designer Nicholas has made a huge face lift to Plus!. The new user interface is very clean, minimalistic, and matches Windows Live Messenger awesomely. The installation is quite the same as the old Messenger Plus!, but I've noticed a very considerable difference in the install time of the new Plus! Live. The sponsor package is still included in Plus! Live, but is completely and totally optional like always. You still have the ability to choose where to install the program. There is also various changes in the layout which you can see from the screenshots (See bottom of the post ;)).

Lets talk about features, we know everyone wants to know what's the latest things coming from Plus! Live. What's my favorite new feature? Some of you have probably already seen this via beta tester's screename's, but let me tell you more. My favorite new feature of Plus! Live is screenname and personal message gradients. Gradients are a fade of a color from light to dark, dull to bright. Besides that, we all know what you all have been anticipating, XML logs (h). The way Plus! logged in the past has completely changed in Plus! Live. You can now choose to save your logs in XML files which means you keep color, emoticons, winks, custom emoticons, hand written pictures, and all that good stuff in a XML log that looks freaking awesome! A new Log Viewer has been created to view these new log files, as well as TXT log files. Another new feature is you have the ability to use BBcode formatting instead of IRC formatting. Another major feature that was removed from Plus! some time ago has been added yet again. Who can guess it ;)? Wait I'll just tell you, polygamy. However, I'm well aware that this does NOT patch your WLM installation so no worries. Oh yeah, in the conversation window there is now a color chooser ;).

Wait, one of the most important things I've forgotten to mention! Messenger Plus! Live no longer uses an EXE to run (H)! Instead it uses DLLs and attaches itself into your local memory. Some of you are thinking, WOAH more memory usage. This, however, is not the case. Although there is not a way to determine how much RAM Plus! Live is using, I can tell you that I've not encountered major RAM usage at all (It will tie in with the WLM RAM usage).

I'm not done yet; keep reading ;).

Messenger Plus! Live will no longer have plug-ins. Wait, don't fret I have another surprise for you. Plus! Live is featuring a new scripting feature that will add immense possibilities for scripts and other add-ons. I'm not a scripting person myself, so I've asked a few people to explain the new functionality of the scripting feature.

What other things can I tell you guys? Well I do have to spill the beans and tell you something that you are not going to like. With the first release of Plus! Live, not all features are going to be included. This should come as to no surprise because Plus! Live is a COMPLETE re-code, that has to be thoroughly tested to make sure that the release comes as non-buggy as possible. I can assure you though, that the major features will be included :) (Tabbed Chatting, Custom Sounds, Logging, Messenger Lock, Contacts on desktop, etc etc). You can expect full functionality and all features to be exposed in later builds of Plus! Live.

With all of this said, as a beta tester here are my views:

The new Messenger Plus! is going to be the best release yet. The new features that are being added, or already added, are going to be a great hit as well as a opportunity for developers to re-think ideas for their plug-ins. The overall look of Plus! Live is freaking awesome and I have no complaints about that. I must mention, the user interface color of Plus! Live will change as you change the color of WLM (h). I personally think that was a awesome idea, but I'm not really sure if we're going to be seeing this exact design with the next release of WLM (Which should be the public release, scheduled for late April). Tabbed chatting is better than ever, and works very very smooth. It has had some major improvements, and I'm very pleased with it.

Now for the good stuff, the screenshots :grin:

Plus! Live Installation1
Plus! Live Installation2
Plus! Live Installation3
Plus! Live Installation4
Plus! Live About
Contact list + Plus! Color Gradients
Plus! Live Preferences 1
Plus! Live Preferences 2
Plus! Live Preferences 3
Plus! Live Preferences 4
Plus! Live Preferences 5
Plus! Live Preferences 6
Plus! Live Preferences 7
Plus! Live XML Logging + Log Viewer
Conversation + Plus! Live Color Chooser

Notes: This post is merely my views, opinions, and looks about things. We've received permission to post this information. Do NOT request links to the beta, or request someone to send it to you. You cannot sign-up for the beta. We do not know when Plus! Live is going to be released. We don't know exactly what features aren’t going to be included.

Other than that if you have any questions regarding Plus! Live, please post them here and I or others will try to answer them. If you have any suggestions for features I've discussed, feel free to post those also :).

Feel free to spread this information around news websites, but please link back or give credit to this post (I would have posted this on my own website, but the server is offline :^)).

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Dane on 03-30-2006 at 08:08 AM

Excellent Post RebelSean...Theres gonna be so many of these, and they're all great.

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by chuckstr on 03-30-2006 at 10:15 AM

well with all these posts showing information about plus live does this mean that it will be relased soon or is this just makin people want it more

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Dempsey on 03-30-2006 at 10:17 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chuckstr
well with all these posts showing information about plus live does this mean that it will be relased soon or is this just makin people want it more
Just making people want it more :p

Plus! Live won't be released to the public until at least the release of WLM non-beta
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Stef on 03-30-2006 at 10:23 AM

It Looks Great :D i love the new Design and Features.
The new feature, that you can write your own script ist fantastic (H)

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by qgroessl on 03-30-2006 at 12:24 PM

Didn't think it was confusing at all tbh?..... But that was a very well written summary of it Sean! Can't wait for Plus! Live now.... and I'm interested in Scripts and how they work :p.....

Also... the new way of hooking seems completely different also.... Is it more reliable than the old way?

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by RebelSean on 03-30-2006 at 01:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by groessl35

Also... the new way of hooking seems completely different also.... Is it more reliable than the old way?

Indeed :). I wonder when everyone was gonna catch on to my signature awhile back "Goodbye EXEs, welcome new hooking methods" :dodgy:!
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Eddie on 03-30-2006 at 01:25 PM

You testers are just making us lick our lips hehe jj, by seeing more and more screenshots you can see the great work all the designers/testers are doing :) keep it up patchou and fo :)

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by John Anderton on 03-30-2006 at 01:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DevilFX
You testers are just making us lick our lips
Aint that the point :P

Nice write up Sean :)

btw guys ... trust us, MP!L is going to be hawt!!!
RE: RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Eddie on 03-30-2006 at 02:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
You testers are just making us lick our lips
Aint that the point :P

btw guys ... trust us, MP!L is going to be hawt!!!

Hehe i guess thats a good point
i think by reading all these posts by mess.be and on this forum we can see how awesome MPL is going to be :), future is good for MPL :)
Hehe and i know its off subject but i saw one of ur userbars...COME ON CHELSEA :p
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by John Anderton on 03-30-2006 at 02:45 PM

quote:
Hehe i guess thats a good point
i think by reading all these posts by mess.be and on this forum we can see how awesome MPL is going to be :), future is good for MPL :)
Hehe and i know its off subject but i saw one of ur userbars...COME ON CHELSEA :p
Thats true. And new things are being added as we speak :)

Btw, pm me for a link to my userbar collection ;)
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Weyzza on 03-30-2006 at 06:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Indeed . I wonder when everyone was gonna catch on to my signature awhile back "Goodbye EXEs, welcome new hooking methods" !
You mean we won't have msgplus.exe anymore?
The Plus! process must be included in WLM process then.

Will this raise concern from dodgy people who think that Plus! Live is dangerous since it is not "detectable" in the processes table anymore?

And how will Plus! Live send statistical data to Plus! server?
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by riahc4 on 03-30-2006 at 07:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
quote:
Originally posted by XxRebelSeanxX
Indeed . I wonder when everyone was gonna catch on to my signature awhile back "Goodbye EXEs, welcome new hooking methods" !
You mean we won't have msgplus.exe anymore?
The Plus! process must be included in WLM process then.

Will this raise concern from dodgy people who think that Plus! Live is dangerous since it is not "detectable" in the processes table anymore?

And how will Plus! Live send statistical data to Plus! server?
Accually it does and I trust Plus! without a doubt have been using it since the start but I dont like programs that hide behind without letting me see it in the Process tab.
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Patchou on 03-30-2006 at 07:26 PM

The MsgPlus.exe never did anythign but check for new Messenger processes and load the dll in it (so to speak). It did not contact the server to send statistic information.

Some people didn't like the idea of having an exe running at all time and I can't really say I blame them. The new system is a lot more reliable and uses less memory in addition to stop giving the impression that Plus! is doing something it's not supposed to do :p

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Weyzza on 03-30-2006 at 07:50 PM

(Y)

Follow-up question:
How do we kill Plus! Live process?

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
It did not contact the server to send statistic information.
You don't need our input anymore? :p
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by ThunderStorm on 03-30-2006 at 08:35 PM

I have a question.
In MSG Plus 3.62 you have custom sounds.
Are they coming back on 4.0?

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Dane on 03-30-2006 at 08:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ThunderStorm
I have a question.
In MSG Plus 3.62 you have custom sounds.
Are they coming back on 4.0?
Simply, Yes.  Better than ever ;)
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by ThunderStorm on 03-30-2006 at 08:41 PM

Nice :D That's the real work :D

And do you have a screenshot of the sounds, or am I blind?
I doesn't see them :P

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by RebelSean on 03-30-2006 at 09:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ThunderStorm
Nice :D That's the real work :D

And do you have a screenshot of the sounds, or am I blind?
I doesn't see them :P

That's because the feature has not been released with any build yet, it's still being worked on.
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by ThunderStorm on 03-30-2006 at 10:21 PM

Ooohw oke :)
I wish the beta testers and Patchou and the other developers a much success with the new upcoming pluS! :D

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by John Anderton on 03-31-2006 at 01:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
How do we kill Plus! Live process?
If anything goes wrong then there is an option not to start messenger plus! the next time around.
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Discrate on 03-31-2006 at 02:36 PM

I'm getting excited about the new plus live!!!! Oh and by the way great post sean :D

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by WEB on 03-31-2006 at 07:55 PM

Hi
I waits with impatient the new Msgplus only A looks at the screenchot I am insane

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by RebelSean on 04-01-2006 at 11:17 PM

Here is a screenshot of the contacts on desktop feature :). Enjoy.

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by di3s3lx on 04-04-2006 at 09:58 AM

I really want to cry it's so beautiful lol, I miss the sounds feat. of plus soo much!!

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by markee on 04-04-2006 at 11:57 AM

Wow! It looks really good and more friendly to use than before.  I can't wait until it is released and will like it even better when all the features are back :D.  Good work pacthou on the work already done, it's great to see that you care about your users enough to make such a big decision like this(Y).  And thanks Sean on the great review, btw can you pm me a link to your background?

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by boyo on 04-04-2006 at 01:54 PM

msn windows live beta and live Plus! live.....

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:D

RE: RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by joemailey on 04-04-2006 at 02:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by boyo
msn windows live beta and live Plus! live.....

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:D

Windows Live Messenger & Messenger Plus ! Live
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Idium on 04-22-2006 at 12:22 AM

man this is really making me wish i could fast forward time untill the release

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by riahc4 on 04-25-2006 at 01:03 AM

quote:
Messenger Plus! Live will no longer have plug-ins. Wait, don't fret I have another surprise for you. Plus! Live is featuring a new scripting feature that will add immense possibilities for scripts and other add-ons. I'm not a scripting person myself, so I've asked a few people to explain the new functionality of the scripting feature.

I wonder if someone will make a application that allows the convertion of a plugin to a script.

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by adam.yao on 04-25-2006 at 01:40 AM

In the new messenger plus live, tab could be chosen on the bottom the conversation windows and tab's backgroud color could be customized by user.

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Exo on 04-25-2006 at 04:01 PM

It looks great, that's for sure. It has a nice professional touch and blends in with the WLM nicely. I'm using MSN 7.5 insteed of using my WLM Beta account just to use Messenger Plus. That's how much this piece of software means for me. Besides, just the MSN, it's boring. Plus spices things up. :) Can't wait for this release.

PS: Take your time! I prefer waiting a little longer insteed of having a buggy Plus!.

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Eddie on 04-25-2006 at 05:05 PM

I have a feeling these screenshots are of an older build?? im sure there has to of been a newer build since these were last updated? :)

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by RebelSean on 04-26-2006 at 12:20 PM

quote:
I have a feeling these screenshots are of an older build?? im sure there has to of been a newer build since these were last updated? :)

Of course there is updated builds :p, that doesn't mean we have been authorized to release screenshots & info.
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by absorbation on 04-26-2006 at 03:45 PM

There is a new build every other day, and as far as I am aware you can tell you information unless Patchou has persifsally told us not to ;)

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Idium on 04-26-2006 at 04:16 PM

as in a suprise new feature that he doesnt want us to know or sommin. (i donno anything so im just putting my thoughts in)

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by RebelSean on 04-26-2006 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
There is a new build every other day, and as far as I am aware you can tell you information unless Patchou has persifsally told us not to ;)

Are you sure we're allowed to? I thought it was just for this build :$?
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by di3s3lx on 04-26-2006 at 11:30 PM

IM TIRED OF WAITING! IM GONNA DIE!! LOL THIS WAIT IS KILLING ME AND IIII I MUST CONFESS I STILL BELIEVE!

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by qgroessl on 04-26-2006 at 11:39 PM

Ok... well... You won't have to wait too much longer... WLM is due to be out by the end of the month (I believe)... and it'll be next month at the latest...... If we're lucky it'll be right as Summer vacation starts!

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by RebelSean on 04-27-2006 at 12:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
Ok... well... You won't have to wait too much longer... WLM is due to be out by the end of the month (I believe)... and it'll be next month at the latest...... If we're lucky it'll be right as Summer vacation starts!

The next release will be the April refresh, due at the end of this month.
RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by mfragola on 04-27-2006 at 01:33 AM

cool, i can't wait
i don't use wlm just because there's no plus!
i hope i had gotten a mp! live beta invite :S

RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by Voldemort on 04-27-2006 at 03:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mfragola
i hope i had gotten a mp! live beta invite (Smilie)

there are no invites :S
RE: RE: Introduction to Messenger Plus! Live by adam.yao on 04-27-2006 at 03:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by mfragola
cool, i can't wait
i don't use wlm just because there's no plus!
i hope i had gotten a mp! live beta invite :S

yes, wait for messenger plus live to be released is a very difficult thing.
wana know something by Fenix13 on 04-27-2006 at 05:45 AM

so new plus huh? and all the sounds i have will be errased or what?, ho almost forget wtf? is a tweak , doues patchou post more than 2 times in a thread