Shoutbox

A new rule? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: A new rule? (/showthread.php?tid=57674)

A new rule? by Weyzza on 03-30-2006 at 07:09 PM

I know some people might hate me, but I want to suggest a new forums rule.

To be honest, I'm fed up with this "trend" in our forums.
You know when someone asks for something and we have many helpful people willing to help sincerely.
Unfortunately, we have too many helpful people, so we have same replies from different people.
Then the poster who is late by a matter of miliseconds would edit his/her post with "Dammit, you're fast" or "I should have typed faster :("

In my very humble opinion, those posts are spam.
They are no different a post saying "Yeah, please do that. It'll fix your problem."

You have to delete your helpful post unless you have important addition for the post above yours.
But, first off, please delete the same content.

One excellent example: Tochjo's reply to MSN Emoticons.
Tochjo must have known what Supersonicdarky said, but he added necessary information.

If you have the same post content, please delete your post.
Deleting your own post is only one click away.

One deleted post won't hurt your post count.

RE: A new rule? by Plik on 03-30-2006 at 08:51 PM

I couldn't agree more (y)
To many replies could cause confussion, if your post doesn't add any info please delete it.
Im all for a rule on this (y)

RE: A new rule? by remember_987 on 03-30-2006 at 09:21 PM

i'm with you to sure it sounds like a good idea

RE: A new rule? by qgroessl on 03-30-2006 at 09:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
One deleted post won't hurt your post count.

Agreed... post count doesn't make a difference after 100 anyways :refuck:...
RE: A new rule? by Fanta on 03-30-2006 at 09:48 PM

I realise I'm fairly new and I feel I have no real right to speak as I really haven't experienced any real problems with this, but I'd still like to point something out.

It's very easy to change rules to a forum and add more. But the more rules you implement, the less fun it becomes to be a member. I've seen many communities crumble over added rules that took away the fun of being a community member. If it's not really needed, I wouldn't add anything to the rules, but just address individual posters if they really act bad. There's also the reputation system which can be used to "teach" new members how to properly behave.

Also, I understand the annoyance if two posts posted directly after each other are in essense saying the same, but I really see no reason why one should delete a post if they just spend minutes of their voluntairy time to write up a good, decent and informative post.

RE: A new rule? by wj on 03-30-2006 at 10:07 PM

OK. If you see that kind of behaviour, REPORT IT. Were not magical farries that see every single post. If you see something wrong:

REPORT IT

RE: A new rule? by Patchou on 03-31-2006 at 01:50 AM

* Patchou wants to be a magical farrie

:spam: :banana:

RE: A new rule? by Chrono on 03-31-2006 at 02:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
"Dammit, you're fast" or "I should have typed faster "
i always delete those kind of posts, but of course i cant check every single post on these forums :P. If you REPORTED THEM then it would be easier for us :P (i know some of you do it, thanks :))
RE: A new rule? by WDZ on 03-31-2006 at 05:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fantaloonastic
Also, I understand the annoyance if two posts posted directly after each other are in essense saying the same, but I really see no reason why one should delete a post if they just spend minutes of their voluntairy time to write up a good, decent and informative post.
I agree. I think the intent of the poster is a major factor. If you start typing a good reply to an unanswered post, and someone else replies before you're done, neither poster deserves to be penalized.

However, you should never knowingly post duplicate information.