Shoutbox

Messenger Plus! 3.63 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Announcements (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+---- Forum: Announcements & News (/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+----- Forum: Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+------ Thread: Messenger Plus! 3.63 (/showthread.php?tid=57883)

Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Patchou on 04-05-2006 at 08:58 PM

Hello,

Probably nobody expected this but I've just released Messenger Plus! 3.63. This version fixes some last compatibility issues with the soon-to-come Messenger Plus! Live 4.00 (it still is not compatible with Windows Live Messenger). Those fixes couldn't be included in the previous 3.62 release as Messenger Plus! Live was still not mature enough at that time to do proper testing. You won't see any difference between this version and the previous one, however, if you plan on using Windows Live Messenger when it's publicly released (probably a month or less from now), then I highly recommend you to update to this version to prevent any kind of problem from happening.

There's one other important thing included in this update. I wanted to keep that for Messenger Plus! Live but there's no reason why everybody could not enjoy this update sooner. The sponsor program is now distributed by Circle Development Ltd. They have reworked the package based on user's feedback and I'm happy to announce that you can now say goodbye to the home page change and the search bar in Internet Explorer :). In case you would wonder, nothing has been added either and the sponsor is still as optional as ever. We just thought that the users who install the ads may appreciate a lighter package. Also, to make sure that everybody remembers where the ads come from a month or two after the initial installation, the entry in Add/Remove Programs now says "Messenger Plus! & Sponsor" if the sponsor is currently installed.

This great new version of the sponsor program will also be part of Messenger Plus! Live and will be presented the exact same way during installation. The development of the new Messenger Plus! is still going pretty well. Version 4.00 is now scheduled to be released in a month from now, you can expect this update to be the last one compatible with MSN/Windows Messenger 4, 5, 6 and 7. Goodbye Messenger Plus! 3 :).

Patchou

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Jedimark on 04-05-2006 at 09:01 PM

I'll stick with version 4 ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by albert on 04-05-2006 at 09:05 PM

Nice announcement. :) Happy that the sponsor has been optimized. :)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by prashker on 04-05-2006 at 09:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Also, to make sure that everybody remembers where the ads come from a month or two after the initial installation, the entry in Add/Remove Programs now says "Messenger Plus! & Sponsor" if the sponsor is currently installed.

Very nice :)

Keep up the great work Patch

I will stay with 4 tho :P
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by absorbation on 04-05-2006 at 09:12 PM

quote:
Goodbye Messenger Plus! 3 (Smilie)

Hello Messenger Plus! Live 4 :P
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by user27089 on 04-05-2006 at 09:15 PM

Very nice Patchou...

I'll probably try it out on VMWare with MSN Messenger 7.5 (along with the sponsor) some time soon :).

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Supersonicdarky on 04-05-2006 at 09:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jedimark
I'll stick with version 4 ;)

ditto

and this time i might actually concider installing the sponsor :P
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by LEE123 on 04-05-2006 at 09:19 PM

Good news about the improvements to the sponsor.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by blackjack on 04-05-2006 at 09:32 PM

This are good news, Its great for thos users sticking with MSN Messenger (Not Xp users) :)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by GiantSpider on 04-05-2006 at 09:47 PM

Unexpected yet good news. Plus! Live is awesome.
Keep it up Patch.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Menthix on 04-05-2006 at 11:59 PM

Nice work on the sponsor... let's wait and see what bad things the anti-everythingware guys have to say this time :P.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Chrono on 04-06-2006 at 12:28 AM

woah, and i thought that the sponsor programa couldnt be improved anymore :P

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Voldemort on 04-06-2006 at 02:03 AM

Very nic news.... im gonna upgrade my other 2 comps...

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Hank on 04-06-2006 at 02:06 AM

Great work Patch, i have no idea though how ou worked on this last build of 3.xx series an 4 . you deserve a medal :)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by RebelSean on 04-06-2006 at 02:26 AM

Great news, hope to be testing it soon enough ;).

quote:
Originally posted by Chrono
woah, and i thought that the sponsor programa couldnt be improved anymore :P

What he said ^^.
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by zach on 04-06-2006 at 03:31 AM

Cool, I'm downloading now and will install the sponsor just to see what it is like.
Edit: I've installed but can't see the sponsor...

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Chris4 on 04-06-2006 at 03:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
I've installed but can't see the sponsor...

Is that a good thing? :P
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by zach on 04-06-2006 at 03:48 AM

Not sure... I can only see the 'JUMP MPEG' start-up item. I can't see any links to support Msg Plus!

Edit: I had to execute the program myself and now I have the desktop items, toolbars etc.

Edit: I uninstalled it and apart from leaving "BURNEACHMODE" in "Aplication Data", it appears to have gone without any trouble at all (Y)
Edit: Today I found 'Advert' in 'Program Files' it contained an unstall file which I ran. It said "bad elmo you must install this software as part of the parent program. Press OK to exit." so I searched google and it found a result which shows this was created by the sponsor program. Now I'm not sure what else it has left behind :( :-/
Google search results

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Eddie on 04-06-2006 at 03:51 AM

good announcement and good to hear patch (Y)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by John Anderton on 04-06-2006 at 04:29 AM

Unexpected but really welcome. I really want to check it out. Mabbe ill uninstall everything and check it out :)

Looks like quite a few things were minorly tweaked and seems to be a really good idea :)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Pyroteq on 04-06-2006 at 04:43 AM

Nice work patchou, Im sure the sponser will attract less critisicim now that ist has been optimised.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Matti on 04-06-2006 at 06:39 AM

Sounds good, but I have a small problem. When I try to open the file, it displays a dialog box containing:

quote:
Minimum Requirements Not Met
Sorry but you must have MSN/Windows Messenger 4.6 (minimum) installed on your system in order to install Messenger Plus!
Re-installing MSN Messenger generally solves this problem.

I tried to de-install Windows Live Messenger Beta and re-install MSN Messenger, but no luck.
Any way to solve this? :(

EDIT: Now I can't even start up Plus!, sort of same message appears. S.O.S.! :'(

EDIT2: Okay, fixed now! I changed the MSN Messenger directory name and re-installed Messenger again and now Plus! seems to find it. :)

Just a little question, will this stop anti(?)-spyware and -adware programs from blocking Plus!? ^o)
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Discrate on 04-06-2006 at 11:42 AM

i'm sticking with msgplus 3 for a long time  :P Nice work patchou:D

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by qgroessl on 04-06-2006 at 12:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by joelm
i'm sticking with msgplus 3 :P Noce work patchou:D

It's the same thing :p... haha... Or do you mean you've updated and then when MP!L comes out your not going to update anymore?
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Discrate on 04-06-2006 at 12:18 PM

no i mean i have MSN 7.5 and im sticking to messenger plus! {not live}
For a long time.;)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Bionic on 04-06-2006 at 01:12 PM

Excellent work! Patchou I can't wait to see Messenger Plus! Live 4.00 ;)

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by fe3101 on 04-06-2006 at 01:46 PM

me too , i love the MSN plus!
PATCHOU , you make an excellent work!!!!!!!!!!!

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Zahid™ on 04-06-2006 at 02:55 PM

Just a question, if you have MSN Messenger and WLM installed 2gether and you have Messenger Plus! installed and when MsgPlus Live is released will we be able to use MsgPlus and MsgPlus Live? Anyway good work (y).

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Phillip on 04-06-2006 at 03:53 PM

hmm good question...

nice to hear about the sponser program
everytime i tell my frined to use plus they allways install the sponser program. And 1 minute later they complain about it..

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by qgroessl on 04-06-2006 at 04:11 PM

I'm sure a lot less people will be skeptical of the sponsor program now that it's not through C2 Media... Good job

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by CookieRevised on 04-06-2006 at 04:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Zahid™
Just a question, if you have MSN Messenger and WLM installed 2gether and you have Messenger Plus! installed and when MsgPlus Live is released will we be able to use MsgPlus and MsgPlus Live? Anyway good work (y).
Yes, that's exactly the purpose of this new build... to make it possible (compatible) that both versions run side-by-side and don't conflict with each other.

When you run WLM, Plus!Live will kick in...
When you run MSN Messenger, Plus!3 will kick in...

(and unofficially: you even can run them at the same time... I have found no major conflicting things as of yet... and I even tested this quickly while running 6.2, 7.0, 7.5 and WLM all together...)
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by jegar on 04-06-2006 at 07:19 PM

Sorry, but I have been using Messenger 8.0 beta for so long without Messenger Plus! that I doubt very seriously if I will install it whenever you get around to posting a new version.  You could have very easily released an interim verison when Messenger 8.0 went public beta a few weeks ago instead of this worthless thing.  Funny how you think you need something until you dont have it and realize it's just wasted space on your hard drive.  You should take better care of the people who have supported you all these years.

quote:
Hello,

Probably nobody expected this but I've just released Messenger Plus! 3.63. This version fixes some last compatibility issues with the soon-to-come Messenger Plus! Live 4.00 (it still is not compatible with Windows Live Messenger). Those fixes couldn't be included in the previous 3.62 release as Messenger Plus! Live was still not mature enough at that time to do proper testing. You won't see any difference between this version and the previous one, however, if you plan on using Windows Live Messenger when it's publicly released (probably a month or less from now), then I highly recommend you to update to this version to prevent any kind of problem from happening.

There's one other important thing included in this update. I wanted to keep that for Messenger Plus! Live but there's no reason why everybody could not enjoy this update sooner. The sponsor program is now distributed by Circle Development Ltd. They have reworked the package based on user's feedback and I'm happy to announce that you can now say goodbye to the home page change and the search bar in Internet Explorer :). In case you would wonder, nothing has been added either and the sponsor is still as optional as ever. We just thought that the users who install the ads may appreciate a lighter package. Also, to make sure that everybody remembers where the ads come from a month or two after the initial installation, the entry in Add/Remove Programs now says "Messenger Plus! & Sponsor" if the sponsor is currently installed.

This great new version of the sponsor program will also be part of Messenger Plus! Live and will be presented the exact same way during installation. The development of the new Messenger Plus! is still going pretty well. Version 4.00 is now scheduled to be released in a month from now, you can expect this update to be the last one compatible with MSN/Windows Messenger 4, 5, 6 and 7. Goodbye Messenger Plus! 3 :).

Patchou

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by t1a0s on 04-06-2006 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jegar
Sorry, but I have been using Messenger 8.0 beta for so long without Messenger Plus! that I doubt very seriously if I will install it whenever you get around to posting a new version.  You could have very easily released an interim verison when Messenger 8.0 went public beta a few weeks ago instead of this worthless thing.  Funny how you think you need something until you dont have it and realize it's just wasted space on your hard drive.  You should take better care of the people who have supported you all these years.

He can't release a version that simply isn't ready for public use just so people don't lose interest...

Anyway, better go install this :)
Keep up the good work Patchou!
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Ezra on 04-06-2006 at 09:02 PM

quote:

Then don't install it, your loss :P

Anywaay, I think it's very good that the sponsor is from a company other then C2Media, not that i've ever had problems with it, but for the paranoid people who think patch is evil :P
RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by CookieRevised on 04-06-2006 at 09:20 PM

quote:
You could have very easily released an interim verison when Messenger 8.0 went public beta a few weeks ago instead of this worthless thing.
No he could not! At the time the WLM beta went "public", Messenger Plus! Live was far, far from finished. Unless you wanted it to show an about box and nothing more.

quote:
You should take better care of the people who have supported you all these years.
funny, as that is exactly what he does at this moment (and also what he is doing by NOT releasing a half arsed version which everybody will have problems with).
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by lizard.boy on 04-08-2006 at 04:03 PM

quote:
The sponsor program is now distributed by Circle Development Ltd.

If the sponsor is now by Circle Devolpment, are the websites still being hosted on Lop/C2 Media servers?
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Patchou on 04-08-2006 at 07:04 PM

The company is evolving and yes, msgplus.net will soon be on new servers (as soon as I find the time to complete the setup of the servers).

RE: RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Discrate on 04-09-2006 at 01:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
You could have very easily released an interim verison when Messenger 8.0 went public beta a few weeks ago instead of this worthless thing.
No he could not! At the time the WLM beta went "public", Messenger Plus! Live was far, far from finished. Unless you wanted it to show an about box and nothing more.

quote:
You should take better care of the people who have supported you all these years.
funny, as that is exactly what he does at this moment (and also what he is doing by NOT releasing a half arsed version which everybody will have problems with).

I agree, i would rather wait for a good working msgplus live then a half done crappy msgplus live. and you say you doubt you will install it when it comes out, well thats good for you, we all know what you will be missing out on:P

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Idium on 04-09-2006 at 01:09 PM

in my oppinon its better 2 wait for a good working version than a half-assed version that is so buggy it would scare off the ordenary user.

For anyone that comments that there was infact a public beta version of the last msgplus.  That wasnt released lightly, Patchou made sure it it wasnt as buggy and there was a notice that it was beta. The new PlusLive! is coded from scratch so theres not the same criteria met as the last one. why dont people learn a bit of paitance and wait.

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by adam.yao on 04-10-2006 at 02:23 AM

Great work patchou.

RE: RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by romanticguy50 on 04-10-2006 at 03:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Idium
in my oppinon its better 2 wait for a good working version than a half-assed version that is so buggy it would scare off the ordenary user.

For anyone that comments that there was infact a public beta version of the last msgplus.  That wasnt released lightly, Patchou made sure it it wasnt as buggy and there was a notice that it was beta. The new PlusLive! is coded from scratch so theres not the same criteria met as the last one. why dont people learn a bit of paitance and wait.

I am willing to wait cause I know that the wait is worth it
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Terry_X on 04-11-2006 at 08:25 AM

keep up the good work patchou

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by dandari on 04-11-2006 at 12:38 PM

Hey Guys, What's A Beta Tester?
If Im a A Beta Tester I can Have MSGPlusLive?
Plz

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by CookieRevised on 04-11-2006 at 04:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by dandari
Hey Guys, What's A Beta Tester?
A beta tester is someone who devotes an enourmous amount of time to test out software, which is very different then simply using the software. This means he/she tries stuff which normal people wouldn't try (or wouldn't try that much or in that way). It is his/her job to find bugs and mistakes in the program before it is released to the public so that the public gets a decent piece of software and not some half-baked or overcooked product.

This brings with it that you need to have at least some good basic computer skills so you know what you're doing and/or that you can deduct and even predict certain bugs.

Beta testers are people who are trusted with private and often delicate information. Information which isn't suppose to be known by the public. Thus they also recieve beta software of course (software which isn't completely finished yet).

There are also risks involved. Software being tested might still contain severe bugs which could damage other software or, for example, even make it so that he/she who runs it will loose data on his harddisk and all...

But all in all, beta testing is something you dedicate to do, not something because you want some piece software. The main goal of wanting to be beta tester is to activly help to make the software bug-free, not to simply have the software. This is often what people these days forget, they simple want to be beta tester for the sake of having the software.

Beta tester are normaly choosen in private circles, choosen among the people which the developer knows and/or trusts.

Of course, beta testing isn't always closed and private. Something which many companies do these days (to keep ahead of their competitors) is releasing a beta software to the public so "the public can test it". This has advantages, but in early stages of software development it has far more disadvantages. It also requires a very big support team behind the beta which put all their time into sifting thru bug reports which are quite often already known or simply don't have anything todo with the software or what not.

PS: then there is also something like Alpha testing. This is even a stage before the beta testing and sometimes requires even more technical skills from the testers, but other than that it is roughly the same with the same principles though.

;)
RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Eddie on 04-12-2006 at 08:15 AM

And following on from that hehe no you cannot test Messenger Plus! Live! :P You will have to wait until early may for the public release :D

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by Fenix13 on 04-21-2006 at 08:04 PM

*-)kinda crap why just relase a version same than the other? just waisting time i think ....better try to relasy 4 or something, i know it's dificul and else so bye

RE: Messenger Plus! 3.63 by user27089 on 04-21-2006 at 08:06 PM

How is this crap at all. It's simply an update with some bug fixes, and includes the new sponsor software etc. If anything he's doing those who are staying on 7.5 a favour. Patchou anounced that he would release a new version before Plus! Live comes out that will be the final version for anything pre-windows live messenger ever again. Just be grateful that he creates the plugin for free.