Shoutbox

I got a weird problem - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: I got a weird problem (/showthread.php?tid=57893)

I got a weird problem by YourNeibour on 04-06-2006 at 01:56 AM

I have a clock radio mabye 4 feet or so away from my computer.  My PC is on the floor and full tower it has a 400W Power Supply it's a P4.  When I turn my PC on i get a high pitch sound from my clock radio but it still works.  When I turn off my PC my radio works fine no problem.  Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks

RE: I got a weird problem by Hank on 04-06-2006 at 02:04 AM

yer, dump the radio an buy a new one :refuck: .. sounds like its interfering with some component inside the PC ..try moving the clock  further away from the PC an see if it still makes the sound

RE: I got a weird problem by YourNeibour on 04-06-2006 at 02:06 AM

tried that still same effect...how do I find out what the interference may be?

RE: I got a weird problem by Adeptus on 04-06-2006 at 02:09 AM

Move them further apart.  If the computer and the radio are  presently plugged into the same wall outlet, it may help to plug them into different ones. 

Anything else would cost money (power line conditioning filters, better shielded computer case).

RE: I got a weird problem by YourNeibour on 04-06-2006 at 02:21 AM

Would it make a difference if the PC and radio were plugged into the same powerbar?

RE: I got a weird problem by Voldemort on 04-06-2006 at 02:32 AM

Yes, they would be near...
Have you turned on a blender while watching tv?
a hair dryer?
Its the same effect.

RE: I got a weird problem by Hank on 04-06-2006 at 02:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by YourNeibour

Would it make a difference if the PC and radio were plugged into the same powerbar?
should be on seperate power outlets ( thats if you have a spair one to plug the radio into )
RE: I got a weird problem by YourNeibour on 04-06-2006 at 02:41 AM

I do I can try and see if it works

didn't really work,  I had another plug at the other end of the room
RE: I got a weird problem by Pyroteq on 04-06-2006 at 05:00 AM

Try it in a differnt room with no PC, check that its actually your PC interfering with it and not just a shitty clock radio.

RE: I got a weird problem by YourNeibour on 04-06-2006 at 12:40 PM

My other radio wich is on the different room in the house also doesn't work on a specific station when my PC is on.  When the PC is off it works fine.

RE: I got a weird problem by CookieRevised on 04-06-2006 at 12:46 PM

What do you have in your PC which sends out such an interfearance? Do you have any remote control stuff or wireless adapters or something plugged into the PC?

Note: the stuff talked about plugging your PC and radio into different sockets is very true. But it all deals with interfearence from the power line (50Hz etc). And the reason why you might not solve it by plugging the radio in the socket across the room is because that socket is on the exact same circuit as the one where your computer is plugged into... (trivia: this is the very same reason why in big shows they never plug the sound equipment in a socket on the same circuit as the light equipment).

Though, this said, there could also be interfearance with radio waves, hence my question....

RE: I got a weird problem by YourNeibour on 04-06-2006 at 12:58 PM

I have a wireless card but it never did that on my old pc just in this new one.  Should I go into my settings and try to change the frequency of the card or channel?

RE: I got a weird problem by CookieRevised on 04-06-2006 at 01:23 PM

You could try... just to see if that is the cause...
Also try to unplug the card and see, or rather hear :p, if it makes any difference...

Knowing the cause is often half the solution ;)

RE: I got a weird problem by YourNeibour on 04-06-2006 at 02:14 PM

GI.Go that's for cookie, thanks I will try that when I get home

RE: I got a weird problem by SonicT15 on 04-07-2006 at 12:15 AM

If its a distortion sound try to move it away. like with my amp and guitar if i get to close to the amp it makes a screaming iratating noice.

SonicT

RE: I got a weird problem by YourNeibour on 04-07-2006 at 01:45 AM

No didn't work :(

RE: I got a weird problem by Voldemort on 04-07-2006 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by SonicT15
If its a distortion sound try to move it away. like with my amp and guitar if i get to close to the amp it makes a screaming iratating noice.

Thats because of a totally different reason.
Leave it where it was originally, and use an extension cord to connect it from the outlet of another room....and tell us the results..
RE: I got a weird problem by DJeX on 04-07-2006 at 03:31 AM

I know transformers can cause speakers to buzz or distort if the transformers electrical field is large enough.

I'm thinking it may be a frequency your computer is giving off which is affecting your radio. I had a similar problem when my Furness would turn on. While the igniter in the Furness was igniting my speakers would make a humming/buzzing noise then would stop when the ignition was complete.

In this case moving the radio will not work unless you move it on the corner of your street but that’s not to helpful. I'm not to sure how to stop it since my problem went away when I got new speakers.

So to test this try moving the radio closer to the computer if the noise of the radio is greater then this theory is true if not then it probably is to do with something similar to what CookieRevised said.

RE: I got a weird problem by YourNeibour on 04-07-2006 at 12:56 PM

I changed the chanel of my wireless card and it seems a bit better.  But I will play around with this later and see what happens

still a no go
pissing me off by YourNeibour on 04-17-2006 at 12:43 AM

Over the last few days my new pc is getting on my nerves because of posible conflicts with my radio. Evertime I try to surf the web I hear a hight pitched sound, and my radio is distorting.  Any help would be appreciated.

P4:  Mobo=Asus P5V800-MX
       CPU= Intel 2.66 w fan
       HD= 80 gig and 250 gig
       Wireless Card= wmp11 v2.7
        Video= Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro

RE: pissing me off by NiteMare on 04-17-2006 at 12:44 AM

do you have a wireless internet connection?

RE: pissing me off by YourNeibour on 04-17-2006 at 12:47 AM

Yes I do and I have played with the channels on my router settings that is

RE: pissing me off by NiteMare on 04-17-2006 at 12:49 AM

well at any channel it could be interfering, my cell phone does the same thing around my speakers, 2 options:
1. move your radio away from your computer
2. use wires instead of a wireless connection

RE: pissing me off by YourNeibour on 04-17-2006 at 12:51 AM

My radio is at the other end of the room and my PC is on a different floor then my modem and router.  My old pc never had this problem.

RE: pissing me off by NiteMare on 04-17-2006 at 12:52 AM

hmm, well i still think its the wireless signals interfering with the radio waives, not have much experiance with it though

RE: pissing me off by YourNeibour on 04-17-2006 at 12:56 AM

the interesting thing is, if my PC is off and I unplug it from the wall my radio works perfectly.

EDIT: If it's not wireless what else could it posibly be?. I can post my specs of of my pc if you want.
P4:  Mobo=Asus P5V800-MX
       CPU= Intel 2.66 w fan
       HD= 80 gig and 250 gig
       Wireless Card= wmp11 v2.7
        Video= Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro

RE: pissing me off by CookieRevised on 04-17-2006 at 07:47 AM

This is the 3rd thread about this in 10 days... people are telling/suggestion you just the same (of course, as it is the same thing).

Can you please keep it down to 1 thread...

PC Frequency???
I got a weird problem

Threads reported

RE: I got a weird problem by YourNeibour on 04-17-2006 at 05:41 PM

sorry

RE: I got a weird problem by rav0 on 04-18-2006 at 02:38 AM

Do you actually have wireless internet, or do you have a wireless network, which is connected to the internet. Real wireless internet signals will be being beamed around your area, irrespective of whether you use it, or whether your PC is on. Transmission will be coming from you, though it shouldn't really have a different effect as what the rest of the signal did.

It might be a dodgy power supply, unless your sure that it's your wireless network (if you have one). Try testing the power supply on its own, with none of the rest of the PC plugged into it (use a power supply tester (borrow one)).