Shoutbox

penny boat - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: penny boat (/showthread.php?tid=57934)

penny boat by remember_987 on 04-06-2006 at 10:58 PM

In my science class we just recieved a design challenge.

Build a boat made entirely out of tin-foil that will hold as many pennies as possible

but i am not sure the best way to go about this

i am only allowed to use to 30cm by 30cm pieces of tin-foil not even any tape i was wondering the best way to get as many pennies as possible

P.S. the record is 316 pennies

RE: penny boat by wj on 04-06-2006 at 11:09 PM

Do the pennies have to be above the water? or does it just have to hold them up?

RE: penny boat by remember_987 on 04-06-2006 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
Do the pennies have to be above the water? or does it just have to hold them up?
i think they just have to be within the boat your aloud to load it up until it sinks or flips
RE: penny boat by Voldemort on 04-06-2006 at 11:13 PM

Make a paper boat, but with foil and try.
* Voldemort reasearches..
edit:
http://pbskids.org/zoom/activities/sci/boatsafloat.html
won't explain properly, but the pic gives a good idea...

RE: penny boat by remember_987 on 04-06-2006 at 11:16 PM

if some people are bored maybe they will help me test out some designs?

i was thinking of doing a canoe or a barge design but i have no idea how well they will work

RE: penny boat by wj on 04-06-2006 at 11:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by remember_987

i was thinking of doing a canoe or a barge design but i have no idea how well they will work

When do you have to have it done?

I'd go with oversized pontoons. I'll attach a design in a few.
RE: penny boat by remember_987 on 04-06-2006 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
quote:
Originally posted by remember_987

When do you have to have it done?
not for a while yet i have at least 5 days

but is there a certain shape that will help increase buoyancy?
RE: penny boat by wj on 04-06-2006 at 11:28 PM

Moved to Tech Talk :-P It's techy (design wise) and dont need all the spam.

I'll see what I can come up with, Photoshop is not cooperating with me. But I've got some ideas. Most involve pontoons or large surface area.

Get the full rules from your teacher. What defines your ship sinking? Does just taking on water define a sinking or does the entire boat actually have to be submurged? Can it be a submarine? Can the pennies be suspended in the water but the body of the boat still be above water (ala Cargo Net)

RE: penny boat by remember_987 on 04-06-2006 at 11:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
Moved to Tech Talk :-P It's techy (design wise) and dont need all the spam.

I'll see what I can come up with, Photoshop is not cooperating with me. But I've got some ideas. Most involve pontoons or large surface area.

Get the full rules from your teacher. What defines your ship sinking? Does just taking on water define a sinking or does the entire boat actually have to be submurged? Can it be a submarine? Can the pennies be suspended in the water but the body of the boat still be above water (ala Cargo Net)
sinking re fers to the entire boat being submerged and the only rules i recieved were that there were two 30cm X 30cm pieces of tin-foil i will ask if cargo nets are aloud tomorrow your ideas sound good but how would you build a submersible out of tin-foil?

edit: i will post the rules i recieved

Saftey precaution :P
be careful when using sharp objects such as scissors

design criteria

A. each piece of aluminum foil should be cut into a square 30cm X 30cm

B. each person can only use two pieces of cut foil (unknown if the second piece can be cut into smaller pieces)

C. NO additional materials may be used
RE: penny boat by wj on 04-07-2006 at 05:41 AM

hmm... I was able to get a design that would hold at least 300 pennies, I'll toy with it some more late, Gotta pick up some pennies tomorrow....

Find out about cutting it into smaller peices... I'll post some pictures tomorrow after I've tested it with real pennies and not just weights.

RE: penny boat by Stigmata on 04-07-2006 at 06:27 AM

basically you wont the largest surface area possible...

you could prob do this by rolling up the sides or scrunching them up..

when it comes to putting the coins in display scatter them evenly using as much of the base of the foil as possible. you need to spread out evenly.

due to the Archimedes theory,  as long as the size of the water that your tin foil thing is in is large, the force of gravity on your tin foil thing will float because they should displace the same force.

(the boat's gravity against the water buoyancy = the same for it to work)

RE: penny boat by Unwritten Law on 04-07-2006 at 06:38 AM

what kind of boat like a viking boat or what??

p.s just made a viking boat :p

RE: penny boat by wj on 04-07-2006 at 08:36 PM

The boat has to displace less then it's weight in water otherwise it wont float.

As long as weight < displacement weight it will float.

Now with that said, I built one last night that based off of the weight of pennies (arround .1 ounces) my boat could have held about 500 pennies, with just one peice of tinfoil somewhere near 30cm x 30cm. Just build a Bowl with a flat bottom and make sure when loading pennies that the weight distribution is even!

RE: penny boat by super-schaf on 04-11-2006 at 11:04 AM

how deep is the water? if its like 10 cm deep, just make a colum taller then the water. so it would never be underwater :p

just pile the pennies on top and there you go!  :p :p :p