Shoutbox

US people, please read - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: US people, please read (/showthread.php?tid=57943)

US people, please read by NiteMare on 04-07-2006 at 03:31 AM

as i've started taking live calls at work now, i'm actualy interested how meny people here:

-live in the US
-are insured for there mobile phone, using "asurion insurance services",
-and there wireless provider is Verizon

RE: US people, please read by ddunk on 04-07-2006 at 03:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
live in the US
quote:
are insured for there mobile phone, using "asurion insurance services",
Never heard of it.
quote:
and there wireless provider is Verizon
I use it.
RE: US people, please read by NiteMare on 04-07-2006 at 04:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk
quote:

live in the US

a ment if you meet all 3 of those things:P

btw you should ask verizon about asurion, it has pretty good coverage, including stupid mistakes like droping it, or putting it in the wash, a very common claim is droping it in the toilet. the only thing we don't cover is malfunctions, except if we sent you a phone, then that phone is covered from malfunctions for alimited time

RE: US people, please read by Dane on 04-07-2006 at 06:36 AM

umm....well, I use verizon and I live in the US, but no, i didnt get insurance for my phone, I think its pointless, if I make a simple mistake or accident with it and it breaks, ill buy a new one and learn from my mistakes.

RE: US people, please read by NiteMare on 04-07-2006 at 05:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
umm....well, I use verizon and I live in the US, but no, i didnt get insurance for my phone, I think its pointless, if I make a simple mistake or accident with it and it breaks, ill buy a new one and learn from my mistakes.
why pay full price when the insurance can replace it for a small decuctable
RE: US people, please read by Veggie on 04-07-2006 at 05:46 PM

stop trying to sell us insurance

RE: US people, please read by wj on 04-07-2006 at 05:52 PM

I have all three. I live in the US, Have Verizon, and my Phone is insured  through them.

RE: US people, please read by NiteMare on 04-07-2006 at 06:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Veggie
stop trying to sell us insurance
lol we don't sell it, i'm just curious:P

quote:
Originally posted by wj
I have all three. I live in the US, Have Verizon, and my Phone is insured  through them.
:P, then you might be speaking to me when/if you file a claim
RE: US people, please read by Adeptus on 04-07-2006 at 06:24 PM

quote:
I am afraid I have to agree with Dane on this one.  Don't take offense at this, I'm glad the phone replacement insurance has provided you with a job -- however, it is not a good product for the consumer.  Here's why:

When I have been offered this sort of insurance in past, the cost has varied between $4 and $8 per month.  If we take the average of that ($6) and multiply by 12, it means additional $72 spent over the course of one year.

Virtually all phones in U.S. are sold heavily subsidized, with a service contract.  For example, a $250 phone could cost $99, as long as you sign a contract for a year of service from a particular carrier.   Less expensive phones may be free after the contract subsidy. 

After the contract is over, you can do it again and get a new subsidized phone -- and you probably will want to do that anyway, because by then phones will be smaller, nicer and have more features.  At that point, a new phone will cost you practically the same as the amount you would have paid in insurance premiums and deductible, plus you get an upgrade.

The only situation where the insurance might pay off is if you manage to destroy your phone early on in the contract term, in which case you may have to pay full price for a replacement.  I think the chance of that happening is small and it's well worth taking the risk yourself and keeping your money.

Finally, I don't know about Verizon and Asurion, but it seems that in most cases, the insurance replacements are repaired / refurbished phones, often with serious problems.  I've heard quite a few horror stories about that.

So yeah.  It's not worth it.
RE: US people, please read by wj on 04-07-2006 at 06:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Adeptus
quote:
I am afraid I have to agree with Dane on this one.  Don't take offense at this, I'm glad the phone replacement insurance has provided you with a job -- however, it is not a good product for the consumer.  Here's why:

When I have been offered this sort of insurance in past, the cost has varied between $4 and $8 per month.  If we take the average of that ($6) and multiply by 12, it means additional $72 spent over the course of one year.

Virtually all phones in U.S. are sold heavily subsidized, with a service contract.  For example, a $250 phone could cost $99, as long as you sign a contract for a year of service from a particular carrier.   Less expensive phones may be free after the contract subsidy. 

After the contract is over, you can do it again and get a new subsidized phone -- and you probably will want to do that anyway, because by then phones will be smaller, nicer and have more features.  At that point, a new phone will cost you practically the same as the amount you would have paid in insurance premiums and deductible, plus you get an upgrade.

The only situation where the insurance might pay off is if you manage to destroy your phone early on in the contract term, in which case you may have to pay full price for a replacement.  I think the chance of that happening is small and it's well worth taking the risk yourself and keeping your money.

Finally, I don't know about Verizon and Asurion, but it seems that in most cases, the insurance replacements are repaired / refurbished phones, often with serious problems.  I've heard quite a few horror stories about that.

So yeah.  It's not worth it.

But if you've got a 2 year contract, at the end of the two years your into it for an extra $150, Say I want to just keep going with out a contract, but I want a new phone? Oops.... I ran over my old phone with my car... Damn. And at that point they will have a hard time getting me the same phone. Per the contract between the insurance provider and myself, They have to provide a new phone of equal or better abilities which would be a nice phone even in new standards. So I can get a new phone for the $50 deductible and I dont have to renew my contract.

In my eyes, it's a sound investment, I've had it happen once before and it worked out ok, I didnt hold out for the best phone but It got me a new phone fast and I didnt have to futz with a new contract (I've replaced my phone and contract since then).
RE: US people, please read by NiteMare on 04-08-2006 at 03:53 AM

quote:

yes you are partialy correct asurion does buy repaired/refurbushed phones from manufactuares, in addition to making our own repairs on damaged phones that people send back to us when they get there new phone (in the cases were it wasn't lost or stolen) but those phones are are extensivly tested to make sure they are fully working and backed up by a 6 month malfunction warrenty, but we also buy brand new phones from the manufatures, so in order to see that we recive aslittle complaints as possable, the refurbished phones must meet the same standards as the brand new phones, we also offer a 30 day malfunction warenty(for verison clients),on brand new phones.

so yes there are repair phones going back to the costomers, but they are more often then not, the same quality as new phones, but in the event they are still broken, we to replace the phone, with no additional deductables

quote:
not every one wants that, some people want the same phone that they lost, because people are creatures of habit, people like fermiliar things, so the mobile refurbishment spoken about earlyer, allows us to replace phones that are NLP (nolonger produced)

quote:
we don't deal directly with those charges, those are set by your provider, but from what i've heard, they're usualy between $2-3

again, i'm not trying to sell anything:P, but this is in my opinion a good service, its very friendly, and customer service is our number one priority
RE: US people, please read by Dane on 04-08-2006 at 05:58 AM

quote:
quote:
Its a waste of money.  I considered it for a fraction of a second when I was told about it, but then I got the price from Verizon.  $5.00 a Month for a Total Protection Plan.  I'm commited to a 24 month contract.  Thats $120 through my contract terms that I could keep to buy something worthwhile.  The chances that ill break my phone are EXTRAORDINARILY SLIM, before my plan I had a Prepay phone for just about 2 years and nothing ever happened to it.  Its worthless imo.
RE: US people, please read by NiteMare on 04-08-2006 at 06:15 AM

quote:
Its a waste of money.
well thats your Opinion, but there are people that do consiter it a good service

edit: changed phone to opinion, silly mistake
RE: US people, please read by Dane on 04-08-2006 at 06:47 AM

quote:
quote:
Its a waste of money.
well thats your phone, but there are people that do consiter it a good service
Maybe if you break stuff constantly....I am not denying its a good service, but I only think its good and worth it if you break your phone or lose it a lot.