Shoutbox

BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P (/showthread.php?tid=58119)

BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by CookieRevised on 04-10-2006 at 07:33 PM

OMG.... I just discovered such a stupid bug in WLM that it is simply to lame for words...

Hence why I wouldn't withhold you from knowing it (and laughing at he/she who implemented this; probably an interim or jobstudent :p)

The state of groups (indicated by showing ">", or not showing "^") is stored in the registry so you have exactly the same states the next time you sign in to messenger... So far so good...

It is stored under your personal .NET Passport settings
(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings\<passportID>... So far so good...

But they are stored as simply and literally the name of the group...
DOH!!!!!!!

This means that if you have a group name for example "AllowBuzz" you actually will toggle the "Allow nudges" setting by showing/not showing the contacts in that group!!

(AllowBuzz is the registry setting for "Allow nudges")

RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by Nathan on 04-10-2006 at 07:39 PM

You've lost me :P
I don't get what your on about sorry :$

RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by Zahid™ on 04-10-2006 at 08:06 PM

Nice find (y)

quote:
Originally posted by Msg Plus Freak
You've lost me (Smilie)
I don't get what your on about sorry (Smilie)
In WLM change the sorting contacts to groups and rename a group AllowBuzz and if you kepp the group as "^" you will not ba able to send a nudge to your contacts.

RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by L. Coyote on 04-10-2006 at 08:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
This means that if you have a group name for example "AllowBuzz" you actually will toggle the "Allow nudges" setting by showing/not showing the contacts in that group!!
Hahahaha!

I was looking at regedit today, to see where the color was saved, and I saw the group names... But I didn't even think of that! :P

LMAO! Someone will feel retarded... :P

Although for some lazy people this is interesting. You just toggle the group and disable Nudges, toggle again and enable them! :rofl:
RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by Dempsey on 04-10-2006 at 08:10 PM

* Dempsey slaps Messengers devs for not using a subkey for storing group data

RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by Plik on 04-10-2006 at 08:35 PM

Perhaps they are planning a dodgy new way of setting your preferences :P

RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by Sunshine on 04-10-2006 at 08:45 PM

Woah Cookie..amazing find hehee..well done (Y)

What else can i say but...
:rofl: @ whoever implemented it that way...shame shame shame...shame on you :O

That definately needs fixing!

RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by Voldemort on 04-10-2006 at 08:45 PM

:lol:
ahahahahahhahahhahahahahahahaaaa
it is possible to take away the nudge restriction with the resgistry right?

RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by RaceProUK on 04-10-2006 at 08:51 PM

quote:
they are stored as simply and literally the name of the group
I bet someone on the Messenger team's in for an ass-kicking: that's such a stupid mistake to make!
RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by Eljay on 04-11-2006 at 07:17 AM

:rofl:

oh well at least you can now add groups like AllowBuzz to quickly change settings :cheesy: :P

RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by Matti on 04-11-2006 at 07:59 AM

How stupid can MS be? :P

But like Eljay said, it can be used as a quick registry editor for WLM :)

RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by CookieRevised on 04-11-2006 at 09:59 AM

Well, be very carefully when you do that. Most registry settings for Messenger are not simple DWORDS with a value of 0 or 1...

You will corrupt many things when you try this with anything other than settings which are saved as DWORDS and only as 0 or 1.

(the group state is saved as a DWORD, 0 or 1)

RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by Pyroteq on 04-11-2006 at 10:27 AM

Haha. Nice. Someone screwed up.

RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by John Anderton on 04-11-2006 at 11:32 AM

quote:
OMG.... I just discovered such a stupid bug in WLM that it is simply to lame for words...

Hence why I wouldn't withhold you from knowing it (and laughing at he/she who implemented this; probably an interim or jobstudent :p)

The state of groups (indicated by showing ">", or not showing "^") is stored in the registry so you have exactly the same states the next time you sign in to messenger... So far so good...

It is stored under your personal .NET Passport settings
(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSNMessenger\PerPassportSettings\<passportID>... So far so good...

But they are stored as simply and literally the name of the group...
DOH!!!!!!!

(AllowBuzz is the registry setting for "Allow nudges")

That would help some quick setting changes now wouldnt it :P
RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by J-Thread on 04-11-2006 at 02:33 PM

LOL this is really a stupid bug!!!

Image somebody calling a group "MessageLogPath"...:o

RE: BUG: certain group names in contact list will seriously screw up your settings :P by RaceProUK on 04-11-2006 at 04:19 PM

I'm guessing the WLM team assumes no-one's going to use setting names for group names. Still a howler of a bug though.