Shoutbox

Turn PC into Server questions - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Turn PC into Server questions (/showthread.php?tid=58206)

Turn PC into Server questions by jordanspringer on 04-12-2006 at 09:54 AM

Hello everyone; I just bought a new PC and I was interested in turning my old PC into a server. I currently have a host online, which hosts my website. I am just wondering what I would need to do to turn this old PC into a server that I could host my website on, and link my domain name to it. If anyone could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome:D Thanks

RE: Turn PC into Server questions by stoshrocket on 04-12-2006 at 10:11 AM

Hey mate, i asked about this awhile back... there were soem pretty useful suggestions and things i would need, but i couldn't do it because my PC isnt exactly quiet and it needs to be on constantly, making sleeping a bit of a problem :P

Hosting, the DIY way

hope that helps! :)

EDIT: there is also a link to another thread there, Installing PHP + MySQL on a windows machine?, which was pretty useful as well!

RE: Turn PC into Server questions by jordanspringer on 04-12-2006 at 10:36 AM

Could I install Windows 2000 Server on my PC and that do the trick ?

RE: Turn PC into Server questions by stoshrocket on 04-12-2006 at 11:33 AM

i would just use easyPHP, then use apache as the server.... im not too sure about the windows ones tbh, im not exactly an expert but as i said, i would just go with easyPHP, seen as though the site has alot of links to all of the serperate sites if you need and FAQs on how to use Apache or something....

RE: Turn PC into Server questions by YottabyteWizard on 04-12-2006 at 04:29 PM

I would highly suggest to have these programs:

1) No-IP - This program is to let your computer to refresh your IP address of NoIP server so whenever your ISP changes your IP the program will renew it on the server letting people to access your computer using the same name (like: sergiosector.sytes.net)
2) Apache2Triad - is a apache2 bundle installed and configured working out of the box that contains : SERVERS: Apache2 ,MySQL , PostgreSQL ,OpenSSL ,Xmail , SlimFTPd INTERPRETERS: PHP ,Perl ,Python SCRIPTS: PHPmyadmin ,PHPXMail , PHPSftpD + AWStats , SSLCert etc. Features: our own Apache2TriadCP and A2TManager latest versions of everything included manuals for all the software included clean layout and filestructure debugging support over 3 years in development

RE: Turn PC into Server questions by Voldemort on 04-12-2006 at 09:16 PM

You will need a veryy fast upload speed too...

RE: Turn PC into Server questions by YottabyteWizard on 04-13-2006 at 04:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bto
Wich is very rare on residential DSL ISPs :@
RE: Turn PC into Server questions by Anubis on 04-13-2006 at 08:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bto
Well that really depends on what the site is going to be like. If it's just a site which is mainly just text based wit a few images, and you're not running a highly popular website, an average internet connection should easily suffice.
On the other hand, if you're hosting a website with a lot of images with large on-site downloads, with a large amount of users, it's unlikely your connection will be able to handle the traffic, and even if it barely can you will find it hard to use the internet for just normal surfing.
However I fully agree with you, a home server that is designed to host a normal website isn't that practical for most internet connections. Despite that, it can be good if it's a passworded server for hosting files for personal use.

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard

Wich is very rare on residential DSL ISPs :@
Indeed. I'm really pleased when my ISP writes to me to tell me how they've doubled the downrate of the connection for all users, but they never increase the uprate.