Shoutbox

Plugging in a DSL modem gateway into an existing router - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Plugging in a DSL modem gateway into an existing router (/showthread.php?tid=58331)

Plugging in a DSL modem gateway into an existing router by Tandy on 04-15-2006 at 07:51 AM

hey guys

just a question about routers/gateways

I am looking for more ports on my network and i have an existing router (Netgear RP114) and i was wondering if it is possible to plug in a modem gateway (Netgear DG814) into it and run 3/4 extra ports?

If so, what settings do i have to change, will it stuff my network and will my speed be considerably slower?

Thanx

Tandy

RE: Plugging in a DSL modem gateway into an existing router by Adeptus on 04-15-2006 at 08:03 AM

You would want to connect to the DG814 alone, enter the web based configuration, and turn off its built-in DHCP server (the exact verbiage may vary, but there should be an option for that).  You also should make sure that the IP address assigned to the DG814 is different from your other router and any computers.  After that, it should be safe to use it as a plain switch. 

My old Micosoft MN100 router had a specific option to function as a plain switch -- apparently MS anticipated somebody might want to use it for just that some day.  I haven't seen that on other routers, but if you happen find such an option on DG814, then you should be able to select it and not have to worry about DHCP, IP addresses and other things.

Unless the ports on the DG814 are autoswitching MDI/MDI-X, you will need a crossover cable to connect it to your other router.

It won't degrade your network performance.

RE: Plugging in a DSL modem gateway into an existing router by lizard.boy on 04-15-2006 at 04:13 PM

I'm not sure about the crossover cable, but I have a friend using a dlink wired router as a switch, all we did was the aforementioned turning off the dhcp and assigning a different ip adress. I can't remember but i'm pretty sure we plugged the second router (Switch) in using one of its LAN ports, (not the WAN) and we didn't use a crossover cable.