Shoutbox

[REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) (/showthread.php?tid=58430)

[REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 04-17-2006 at 04:49 PM

Ok I've been visiting this forum for years and in the past few months the idea has crossed my mind about a new plugin.  I never posted my idea because I figured it was already done, however I searched and researched and came up with nothing.

Anyways this is my idea.  When you get a message obviously the persons window appears in the taskbar, and it flashes right?...Well if you leave that open it obviously stops flashing...now what if you could tell the current status of that person just by looking at your taskbar?  Here are some photoshopped pictures to help explain my idea.

[Image: TaskbarPlug.jpg]

What does everyone think of this idea?

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Jhrono on 04-17-2006 at 05:04 PM

I totally agree, this would be really useful.

Maybe something for Patchou to include on Plus! Live ;)

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 04-17-2006 at 05:29 PM

Thats exactly what I was thinking in the back of my head.   I know nothing about programing but this would be a useful and fun feature to have an official place in Plus!

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by matty on 04-18-2006 at 11:39 PM

Its not hard to do I will see what I can come up with.

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 04-23-2006 at 06:38 PM

Sweet, Thanks a lot :)  Keep me updated if you don't mind :)

Sorry for delayed response

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by zaher1988 on 04-23-2006 at 06:44 PM

i have suggested that once

read here.

regards

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 04-23-2006 at 06:55 PM

Ah, my bad.  I searched the forums before I posted, guess I should have searched more ;)  At least the picture I made shows exactly the same idea.

Good to hear its actually being looked into this time around,  Thanks Matty :D

Sorry about that.

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by qgroessl on 04-23-2006 at 10:03 PM

I really like this idea... I'm suprised MSN didn't think of doing something like this already...

If you use tabs it already does that though :p

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by zaher1988 on 04-24-2006 at 12:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
If you use tabs it already does that though 
but in the tabs, it doesn't affect the task bar in a any occasion
RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by J-Thread on 04-24-2006 at 03:19 PM

I think this would be a good feature for StuffPlug 3(Y). I'll inform TB about this.

It would be a good feature for sure!

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by TheBlasphemer on 04-25-2006 at 06:19 AM

Seems a reasonable feature-request. I'll look into it :)

EDIT:
One little spoiler though... how should it behave on multiple-user conversations ?

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Plik on 04-25-2006 at 07:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
One little spoiler though... how should it behave on multiple-user conversations ?
You could have another icon to indicate a multi-user conversation, and then ignore the status' of the participants :P
RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 04-25-2006 at 09:11 PM

Hmmmmm...I'll put my idea in writing today.  Photoshop my 'vision' tommorow for all to see!

Note how in my illustration on the first page there is only one 'MSN Guy' for lack of a better word.  Now, if it was multiple conversations, just have multiple MSN Guy's....like a drop shadow.  Does that make sense?

Illustration for this idea coming on Wednesday

Its great hear so many people interested!  Especially TB and other notables.

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Lou on 04-25-2006 at 09:56 PM

I honestly think that anyone not using the tabs would greatly benefit from such a feature. It would tell you right off the bat if the contact is online or not. Makes things easier for you.

quote:
Originally posted by Pho3niX^ReBorN
multiple MSN Guy's
Yes indeed this would also make sense.
I'm all for this idea:)
RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 04-25-2006 at 10:18 PM

:)  Good to know the 45 minutes I spent on the illustration, and idea (planned what I was going to say, no one wants to look like a fool)
has received so much positive feedback.  Really puts a smile on my face.

Anyhow, more ideas for consideration.  Even if you are using tabbed convos would it not be easy to keep the same (original illustration) concept?  We all know (or should know) that if you are chatting to lets say x number people, you click on one tab and that person appears as one taskbar item correct?  Now do whatever you programming gurus do and make the status of that contact appear as the corresponding MSN Guy status icon. 

When you Ctrl+Tab, or click on another tabbed convo in the window the same taskbar item changes to display the new contact that you are now chatting with.  Once again, change the new contacts MSN Guy icon to that of his/her current status...

I want to make a good positive impact here, and earn a reputation for being precise and detailed with my ideas.

;)

EDIT:  Another New Idea, and Illustrations coming in approximately one hour (time is currently 4:26PM EST).  Someone reply so I don't have to make a double post :)

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 04-26-2006 at 09:37 PM

You leave me with no choice, double post time!

Here is the illustration:

[Image: Statuses2.jpg]

Pretty straight forward.  Taskbar to the right is the 'Multiple MSN Guy' concept.  And the new idea is on the left...as you can see there is a ² beside the msn guy.  That could symbolize any multi-user conversations, have the number change to match the number of users active in that conversation.

This can even be adapted in the original idea. 
For example, lets say you are in a tabbed conversation with 3 people.  The taskbar will show the name of the active contact, along with their status (as discussed), and a number as seen in the illustration to the left.  In this example that number would be ³

Comments?  Praise?  Flames because of double post? :)

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Solar_custom on 04-27-2006 at 12:02 AM

Why are you double posting for? That's not allowed you could just EDIT your previous post...

Lol im jkin, yeah sounds like a good idea. Should be done.

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by ins4ne on 04-27-2006 at 12:16 AM

yeah sounds good... ask to apply that in the next + version

RE: RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by J-Thread on 04-27-2006 at 05:59 AM

quote:
Comments?

Sounds perfect to me!!(Y)
RE: RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 04-27-2006 at 03:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by hardc0re

How / Where would I go about doing that?

And once again thanks for all the positive feedback! :D
RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Pyroteq on 04-28-2006 at 11:35 AM

Sounds good to me to.. Excellent idea.

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Matti on 04-28-2006 at 05:20 PM

Good idea! :D
It would be even nicer to use the original conversation icon with the number added on it, so it also looks nice in Messenger skins. But that would be a lot harder I guess. :(

I just wonder how the number will be added on the icon... :-/

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by [MR] on 04-28-2006 at 06:18 PM

This a perfect idea.  Good job (y).

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by zaher1988 on 04-28-2006 at 09:49 PM

:'(:'( whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :P
why u didn't feedback me http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=58233 when i suggested that :P :( :'(

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by [MR] on 04-28-2006 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zaher1988
:'(:'( whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :P
why u didn't feedback me http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=58233 when i suggested that :P :( :'(
I never noticed it =P
RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 04-29-2006 at 02:00 PM

Woohoo!!  Thanks everyone!  I've had this idea floatin around my head for months now.  I guess I should have made it public sooner.

RE: RE: RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Schockwave on 04-29-2006 at 03:34 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by hardc0re

How / Where would I go about doing that?

And once again thanks for all the positive feedback! :D

It looks a great idea. I would suggest that you contact Patchou, as Messenger Plus is his software. (Y) :D ;)
RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by J-Thread on 05-05-2006 at 07:43 PM

I've got some good news and some bad news. First of all the bad news: TB will NOT program this feature into SP3.

The good news: I will!:D To be honest, I've already done it! It looks perfect I can say. The conversations with multiple people don't have the number included, it was too difficult to do that, so those conversations will all have the same icon. See the attachment for a screenshot. Of course an offline image is also included, but I wasn't able to have that in this picture too, because the test account I was using has only got 3 people in the contact list.

I hope you'll like the feature, but I'm sure you will.

Ps: StuffPlug 3 is really going to be a nice piece of software!(Y)

RE: RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by The_Joker on 05-05-2006 at 08:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by J-Thread
The good news: I will!:D To be honest, I've already done it! It looks perfect I can say.

Nice! But if it's already done so where is the download link? ^o)
And one little question: is it for MSNM7.5 or WLM?
RE: RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by J-Thread on 05-05-2006 at 09:16 PM

quote:
TB will NOT program this feature into SP3. [...] I've already done it!

So there isn't a download link yet, because this is one of the features of StuffPlug 3.

To answer your second question, it is made for WLM;)
RE: RE: RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by The_Joker on 05-05-2006 at 10:26 PM

quote:
So there isn't a download link yet, because this is one of the features of StuffPlug 3.

Oh, I thought it was a separate plugin...

Lol, I really wondered why there was a VS win of SP3 *-)
(Thought TB was the only coder of SP)
RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by TheBlasphemer on 05-05-2006 at 11:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The_Joker

Not anymore :)
J-Thread and TheSteve (from msnfanatic) agreed to help me out :)
The project is just growing a tad too big to maintain on my own 8-)
RE: RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Matti on 05-06-2006 at 06:04 AM

quote:
[Image: attachment.php?pid=645386]

:o

That looks awesome! Now, the only thing is missing is to use the icons in WLM itself... :) (but I don't care if you can't do that)
Great job guys! (y)
RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by J-Thread on 05-06-2006 at 08:10 AM

What do you mean with "to use the icons in WLM itself"? I don't think I understand your question.

If you mean I should use the original WLM icons, I already do that. Those icons you see are runtime grabbed from msgsres.dll, so this will perfectly work with skins, and of course if MSN does another graphics update.

If you mean something else, please explain it better.

RE: RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Matti on 05-06-2006 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Those icons you see are runtime grabbed from msgsres.dll, so this will perfectly work with skins, and of course if MSN does another graphics update.

Ooh... that's exactly what I meant! :D I thought you included them yourself as .ico's.

Thanks J-T! (y)
* Matti is falling in love with StuffPlug 3... (L)
RE: RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by The_Joker on 05-06-2006 at 10:03 AM

quote:
quote:

Not anymore :)
J-Thread and TheSteve (from msnfanatic) agreed to help me out :)
The project is just growing a tad too big to maintain on my own 8-)

Good to hear it has some progress.
Hearing only "he is working on it" so you don't know how it's going is kinda despairing.

About the numbers in multi-convo, I think I have an idea:
Getting the number of users is probably not so hard, so making a 10 digits thumbs and simply putting them on the icon won't be so hard I think.
RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 05-06-2006 at 06:35 PM

Wow, I leave for one day and look what happens :D  Great job guys!!  Was this project already in progress or was it started because of me?

Bottom line though, I'm happy to see / hear all the positive feedback and even more so the progress that J-Thread / TheBlasphemer / TheSteve have been making is so wicked.  Great job guys.  If you need anything, I'll do my best to help. :)

RE: RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by The_Joker on 05-06-2006 at 06:47 PM

quote:
Was this project already in progress or was it started because of me?

Because of you.
Excellent idea (Y)

If you have any idea about implementing the number in multi-convos I think they need help.
BTW, How's my idea? And what did you try?
RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by TheBlasphemer on 05-06-2006 at 07:43 PM

quote:
Because of you.
Excellent idea (Y)

If you have any idea about implementing the number in multi-convos I think they need help.

It's very difficult to edit icons with the Windows32 API, and doing so would require a lot of hacking around. I really think that that'd be too much work for a simple feature like this...
RE: RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by The_Joker on 05-06-2006 at 08:56 PM

quote:
It's very difficult to edit icons with the Windows32 API, and doing so would require a lot of hacking around. I really think that that'd be too much work for a simple feature like this...

oh, I thought putting one picture on another isn't so complicated...
I don't have experience yet, still learning C++ and I know only basic things :$ sorry
RE: RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Pho3niX^ReBorN on 05-06-2006 at 09:10 PM

quote:
quote:
Because of you.
Excellent idea (Y)

Why not just create a new set of icons?  They are in .iso formats right? (random guess)..... I could help if needed. :)
RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by J-Thread on 05-06-2006 at 11:03 PM

Wouldn't work with skinning etc. And like TB said, too much work for such a "simple" feature. Wait till you see the rest;).

RE: RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by The_Joker on 05-07-2006 at 12:24 PM

quote:
Wait till you see the rest;).

Spoilers would be nice.
To know what u r waiting for...
(On the other hand, a surprise would also be nice, but a lot of time to wait :()

About the numbers, got an idea just now: adding the number to the window title.
e.g. 3 contacts: <contactAname>, <contactBname>, <contactCname> - conversation
That should be simple enough :P
Mess-patch can remove the contact names, so editing it with a plugin won't be much harder.
RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by J-Thread on 05-07-2006 at 07:01 PM

Sound easier then it is. Image someone changes his/her name, then the window text will be changed by MSN and the number of the amount of contacts will disappear.
To avoid that, you should make some kind of hook to know wheter the window text is changed etc. Too much work for now...

Btw, if something is possible with mess-patch doesn't mean it is easy to do!

RE: RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by The_Joker on 05-07-2006 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Sound easier then it is. Image someone changes his/her name, then the window text will be changed by MSN and the number of the amount of contacts will disappear.
To avoid that, you should make some kind of hook to know wheter the window text is changed etc. Too much work for now...

Btw, if something is possible with mess-patch doesn't mean it is easy to do!

Hmm, mentining this you will also need to check if someone is invited or leave, which will also change the number...
Getting  even more complicated, again :(
OK, if it is so hard then guess we'll have to manage without it.

Probably mess-patch way is easier as it just change the lng file once and doedn't have to check every name change, but it's just a window title, how hard can it be?
Btw, you don't need to intercept every idea I suggest... ^o)
RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by Mike on 07-19-2006 at 09:27 AM

As you can see here, your idea got into StuffPlug 3, and your name is also on the about box! :O

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by The_Joker on 07-19-2006 at 11:21 AM

lol, I forgot this...
Surprised me to see this in the preview :o

BTW. He saw it and replied in the SP forums.

RE: [REQ] Taskbar Icon (Images Incl.) by J-Thread on 07-31-2006 at 04:08 PM

Yes it was a very nice idea so we thought it would be good to mention him in the thanks to... If anybody feels he should be there too, don't be shy and contact me... I can of course not promise anything, but if I agree with you you might be added.