Shoutbox

Sound Servers are Offline - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: Sound Servers are Offline (/showthread.php?tid=58519)

Sound Servers are Offline by wj on 04-20-2006 at 02:48 AM

Good Evening Everyone!

Your happy Sound Server admin here, Were experiencing some problems with the sound servers at the moment, we hope to have them back online soon. Sorry for any troubles this may have caused.

Best regards,
Wj

RE: Sound Servers are Offline by NiteMare on 04-20-2006 at 02:52 AM

any ETA other then "soon"?

RE: Sound Servers are Offline by wj on 04-20-2006 at 02:57 AM

Unknown at this time. Looks like we are going to have to replace a HD or Raid controller. Waiting on a response from the Data center right now.

RE: Sound Servers are Offline by prashker on 04-20-2006 at 02:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
Unknown at this time. Looks like we are going to have to replace a HD or Raid controller. Waiting on a response from the Data center right now.

Alrighty thanks for the heads up :) I thought it was a MP!L bug and was just about to report but its not :P
RE: Sound Servers are Offline by NiteMare on 04-20-2006 at 03:54 AM

i don't seem to be having a problem, is everything normal, or is it just selective problems

RE: Sound Servers are Offline by wj on 04-20-2006 at 06:39 AM

It's back online now.

RE: RE: Sound Servers are Offline by Baheglobob on 04-22-2006 at 10:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
It's back online now.

Im sorry to say that, hells no, it doesn't work for me and a friend. I get and error message that says the server has denied our request. What is wrong?
RE: Sound Servers are Offline by kc32 on 04-22-2006 at 10:21 PM

Why do the sounds have to go through a server if they're already stored on both machine's hard drives?

RE: Sound Servers are Offline by absorbation on 04-22-2006 at 10:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kc32
Why do the sounds have to go through a server if they're already stored on both machine's hard drives?

They are not. Only the deafult sounds are, not custom sounds ;)
RE: Sound Servers are Offline by wj on 04-23-2006 at 12:14 AM

Everything should be back up and running now. Things seem to have settled down for the moment and we are working on a permanant solution to the current issue.

RE: Sound Servers are Offline by kc32 on 04-23-2006 at 12:20 AM

Still doesn't work for me.

RE: Sound Servers are Offline by Baheglobob on 04-23-2006 at 01:06 AM

not working here either

RE: Sound Servers are Offline by Lou on 04-23-2006 at 01:19 AM

Give it some time. He said they are looking for a fix so odds are this might take a little while.

RE: RE: Sound Servers are Offline by Baheglobob on 04-23-2006 at 01:54 AM

quote:
Originally posted by .Lou
Give it some time. He said they are looking for a fix so odds are this might take a little while.

I just thought i would stop by and say it wasn't working, pardon me if im chasing you with knives ;P
RE: Sound Servers are Offline by kc32 on 04-23-2006 at 02:12 AM

Well, I have a suggestion for a fix, don't send the sounds from a server. Store them on the hard drive and send them P2P, and maybe have the server do the random sound function and maybe translate the sound names into their hex id numbers.

RE: Sound Servers are Offline by qgroessl on 04-23-2006 at 02:17 AM

People who use a lot of custom sounds... would then waste a lot of memory on the computer... The only decent way to do that would be to put them in a temp folder so they only stay there for a little while... Servers will help limit the abuse on the system, and let the programmer about how widely used the feature is.

RE: Sound Servers are Offline by wj on 04-23-2006 at 06:27 AM

quote:
Well, I have a suggestion for a fix, don't send the sounds from a server. Store them on the hard drive and send them P2P, and maybe have the server do the random sound function and maybe translate the sound names into their hex id numbers.

The problem with that is P2P is notoriously unreliable and there is no easy way to ensure that sounds are transmitted successfully. So it will either work or not for some people. In this case the Server side solution is the most versatile and best option.

Server is back online now, Were battling some failing hardware at the moment. We should have everything strightened out by monday.
RE: RE: Sound Servers are Offline by Mrbaseball34 on 04-24-2006 at 08:19 PM

quote:

Can't you just send the sound data via tcp/ip just like a message instead of having to go through those servers?
RE: Sound Servers are Offline by Apatik on 04-24-2006 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mrbaseball34
Can't you just send the sound data via tcp/ip just like a message instead of having to go through those servers?
and if you're on 14.4k? :p
RE: RE: Sound Servers are Offline by riahc4 on 04-25-2006 at 12:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
quote:

The min system requirments for MSN Messenger 7.5 are 28.8k so thats not a excuse :P
RE: RE: RE: Sound Servers are Offline by MattyRid on 04-25-2006 at 01:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by riahc4
quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
quote:

The min system requirments for MSN Messenger 7.5 are 28.8k so thats not a excuse :P

So what about those that can't use MSN Messenger 7.5??
RE: Sound Servers are Offline by wj on 04-25-2006 at 01:40 AM

quote:

The messages still go through the central messenger server. It's not a direct connection until you try and send a file and that fails 1/5 times for me. Hence why the server side setup works just that much better.
RE: Sound Servers are Offline by Patchou on 04-25-2006 at 05:15 AM

Also, direct connections would require Messenger Plus! to open a port on your computer, which will generate tons of firewall related problems as well as possible security issues if I don't do my job correctly.

RE: Sound Servers are Offline by wj on 04-30-2006 at 01:59 AM

Good News!

The servers seem to have stabilized and things are fully up and operational again. Please feel free to post again if things seem to stop working.