Shoutbox

Unlocking "3" phones... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Unlocking "3" phones... (/showthread.php?tid=58548)

Unlocking "3" phones... by hypedupmonkey on 04-20-2006 at 08:51 PM

I am thinking of buying a Nokia 6630 on the 3 Network tomorrow from phones 4 u for £90.
I do not like the 3 network and would like to use my previous Virgin Mobile sim card within the phone, I am having doubts if phones locked to the 3 network are eligble for unlocking to all networks.
If they are, I shall get it unlocked from a local unlocking shop near Phones 4 u.

Could someone just clarify if it will be at all possible?
Hyped

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by Reaper on 04-20-2006 at 09:01 PM

You unlock the phone and not the network. It possible to unlock it, many unlock "calculators" can be found online, just use google. I have a Nokia 7600, which is a 3G phone, but I unlocked it and used my o2 sim in there.

[Edit] after doing a bit of research, its not possible to remotely unlock the 6630 model using the codes as the way the way the the phone handles the phone unlocking has been updated/changed. They new system is called BB5. The only way it is done is via the "cable" method, which mobile phone shops have access to but bear in mind, that not all shops can do it so check with Carphone Warehouse as they are able to do it, but at the current networks request. You could also call up 3 and see if its possible, although they may refuse or charge over £100 for it to be done.

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by Rik on 04-20-2006 at 09:07 PM

Nokias can be easely unlocked by simple codes, i won't give you any sinse i think it's eligal so go to google and search "nokia 6630 unlock code" or something

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by M73A on 04-20-2006 at 09:12 PM

pm'ed you...

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by rav0 on 04-20-2006 at 09:44 PM

Since when is unlocking a phone illegal?

There are unlock code generators for Nokias.

Apparantly 3 makes phones unlockable from 3, but I think that it's locked as normal, and they just wont give you the code.

Right now, my friend wants to unlock his NEC and 3 want him to spend a minimum of $200 more using his phone.

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by hypedupmonkey on 04-20-2006 at 09:54 PM

I shall try anyway, The phone unlocker I have found works on a market stall and unlocked my Nokia N-Gage from O2 with a cable so I am going to visit him first to see if it possible before buying the phone.
If possible, I shall give it the go ahead.

Thank you for all your replies and your time,
Hyped

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by MC Inferno on 04-22-2006 at 10:43 PM

be careful if ur gonna have ur phone taken apart, if voids the garentee and alot of the time, they fuck up aterwards, happened with my old one and my gf's old phone

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by Chris4 on 04-22-2006 at 11:32 PM

Just to let you know, I got my 3 phone unlocked to o2 and WAP/Internet/Email does not work. So if you want to use any of them, I strongly suggest you don't buy that phone on the 3 network. Any other network is fine, I think.

I went in o2 shop to see if I could get internet working and they said they "can't do it because it's originally a 3 phone. If it was any other, we would be able to do it for you."

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by Reaper on 04-23-2006 at 12:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris4
Just to let you know, I got my 3 phone unlocked to o2 and WAP/Internet/Email does not work. So if you want to use any of them, I strongly suggest you don't buy that phone on the 3 network. Any other network is fine, I think.

I went in o2 shop to see if I could get internet working and they said they "can't do it because it's originally a 3 phone. If it was any other, we would be able to do it for you."
I did that. I got my WAP working. You just need the settings and you need to activate them/make it your default.
RE: RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by Chris4 on 04-23-2006 at 01:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Reaper
quote:

I did that. I got my WAP working. You just need the settings and you need to activate them/make it your default.

That's what I went in there for, to get the settings, but they said it won't work because it's a 3 phone?

I have a Motorola E1000, not that it matters.
RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by Lou on 04-23-2006 at 01:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MC Inferno
be careful if ur gonna have ur phone taken apart, if voids the garentee and alot of the time, they fuck up aterwards, happened with my old one and my gf's old phone
Where did he ever state that he was taking it apart?:S

I had a phone unlocked (nokia) by someone who gave me an unlock code (virgin mobile in usa wouldn't let me do it so I had to call them like 5 times untill I gave up). However, seeing as yours is quite new, I doubt you'll be able to unlock it using codes so you really do need to check with that guy.
RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by rav0 on 04-23-2006 at 01:22 AM

All Nokias unlock using unlock codes. These unlock codes are automatically generated using the IMEI for the phone.

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by MC Inferno on 04-23-2006 at 01:44 AM

i thought they took it apart coz they said it wd take a coupel of days to be done

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by rav0 on 04-23-2006 at 01:46 AM

They lied.

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by Jhrono on 04-23-2006 at 01:48 AM

quote:
That's what I went in there for, to get the settings, but they said it won't work because it's a 3 phone?

I have a Motorola E1000, not that it matters.
Man, if you can configure it yourself through the phone (which I think you can) use the configurations on this site :
http://www.mobileshop.org/usertech/gprssettings.htm (O2 is listed there)
RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by Chris4 on 04-23-2006 at 04:16 AM

I had a go, Johny, but whatever site I go on, they don't seem to have every setting. Here's some examples that arn't on the lists: Domain 1&2, Service Type 1&2, CSD No. 1&2, GPRS APN.

And when I leave them blank or put anything in them, it says 'Browser setup is incomplete' :(

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by rav0 on 04-23-2006 at 04:23 AM

Things may have different names in your phones UI, and "CSD No. 1&2" and "GPRS APN" wont be both filled in. CSD and GPRS are different link layer protocols, you will use one or the other (probably GPRS).

Create a new set of settings, and fill in the ones which you are sure of, and ask for more help here.

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by Reaper on 04-23-2006 at 11:25 AM

To go back to hypedupmonkey's problem. You phone is a BB5 phone. This means there is a more advanced way to unlock your phone. the only way that it can be done is by the phones network provider. So, contact 3 and ask them if they can do it

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by hypedupmonkey on 04-23-2006 at 11:30 AM

I've been to the unlocker and they told me to go to another place a dedicated phone shop.
They said the Nokia 6630 can be unlocked but its tricky and they cannot do it because of its Symbian OS, My Nokia N-Gage is Symbian but that was unlocked...I suppose the 6630 is much more advanced.
Still, I'm just gonna buy the 6630 from Virgin Mobile's website for £150. It saves me looking around for a place that can do it, even if it is £50 more (Yet, I need that for a new graphics card :@)

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by Nathan on 04-23-2006 at 11:31 AM

3 is crap,
say you were on pay as you go and you put in 30 quid and you didnt use it all that month theyd nick every penny :@
Go for orange or o2 or vodaphone ;)

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by hypedupmonkey on 04-23-2006 at 11:37 AM

I know 3 is crap,
Nah, i'll stick with Virgin Mobile.
Pretty cheap, and they just did a new offer from april onwards.

Did you know you can text Virgin Mobile phones from Virgin Mobile for 3p?
Well, they changed it, all texts to Virgin Mobiles are free now until September.

RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by Reaper on 04-23-2006 at 11:44 AM

3 pwn. £20 a month i get 750mins x-network and 150 texts

RE: RE: Unlocking "3" phones... by rav0 on 04-24-2006 at 01:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Msg Plus Freak
Go for orange or o2 or vodaphone ;)
Or, go for a phone without network :o.

PS 3 is shit.