Shoutbox

Firefox - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Firefox (/showthread.php?tid=58598)

Firefox by ins4ne on 04-21-2006 at 10:26 PM

i use firefox and i always thought its a good browser but now i saw a Site and i dont know what to believe... i always heard "firefox is better than the most browser, its saver and so on" but now...

plz tell me your opinion

RE: Firefox by Supersonicdarky on 04-21-2006 at 10:29 PM

as the url says, those are just myths. none of the statements posted there are true. Firefox is by far the best browser. :)

RE: Firefox by absorbation on 04-21-2006 at 10:32 PM

It's all up to what the user wants. People may want certain things in their browser. I use firefox, but opera is very tempting these days :P

Others use IE because it supports other Microsft products and syamtics reports it as the most sercure browser.

RE: Firefox by ins4ne on 04-21-2006 at 10:32 PM

ok that are good news... i thought i had a shitty browser but now its all clear... =P so i'll have firefox for a very long time =)

RE: Firefox by GiantSpider on 04-21-2006 at 11:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation

Others use IE because it supports other Microsft products and syamtics reports it as the most sercure browser.
New extension for Firefox. IE tab. Opens websites you want in a tab of firefox. But its actually a IE window.
RE: Firefox by ins4ne on 04-21-2006 at 11:10 PM

yeah i know... i got that =) its pretty cool because firefox got some problems with flash an activeX ...

RE: Firefox by Fuzzles on 04-23-2006 at 07:39 AM

FIREFOX rules!

Get IT

RE: Firefox by Hank on 04-23-2006 at 08:16 AM

Opera 9 is good, but it doesnt an wont support  Socks.. nore does it i dont think Have an Adblocker in it. . i think it could hyave better Tabbed support in it. an block pop-up support in it, , thats its downfall IMO. Firefox does everything for me even though i find it slow compared to a linux browser i love which is " Epiphany " which is based on the Gecko rendering engine also, Firefox also supports a lot of other things opera doesnt or lacks in, .

RE: Firefox by brian on 04-23-2006 at 02:02 PM

quote:
Myth - "Firefox and Mozilla are the same"

Reality - Firefox started as "Phoenix" in 2002, an experimental redesign of the Mozilla Suite browser component. It officially became known as Mozilla Firefox in 2004. The name "Mozilla" in this case refers to the Mozilla Foundation/Corporation which develops Firefox and developed the Mozilla Suite. Official development of the Mozilla Suite ended in 2005 but continues as a community-developed product known as SeaMonkey.
I see nothing wrong in this, this doesn't mean it isn't secure.  It's only about the name.

quote:
Myth - "Firefox has lower System Requirements than Internet Explorer"

Reality - Internet Explorer 6.x has much lower minimum System Requirements than Firefox 1.x.
Obviously, because IE is running 24/7 in explorer.exe and eats memory usage.

quote:
Myth - "Firefox is the Fastest Web Browser"

Reality - Opera (now 100% Ad free) is the fastest Graphical Web Browser in Windows.
Opera & Firefox do use the same rendering system, but Opera has a few modification that makes it run faster which can be changed in Firefox somewhere in about:config

quote:
Myth - "Firefox is Faster than Internet Explorer 6"

Reality - Internet Explorer 6.x is clearly faster than Firefox 1.x in 6 out of 7 measures of performance and is significantly faster from a cold start.
Firefox's part.
Again, due to the fact that it's always running in explorer.exe, it's faster.

quote:
Myth - "Firefox is Faster than Internet Explorer 7"

Reality - Internet Explorer 7 is clearly faster than Firefox 1.x in 5 out of 7 measures of performance.
Same thing, again.

quote:
Myth - "Firefox is Faster than Mozilla"

Reality - Ironically Mozilla 1.8 is faster than Firefox 1.x in 5 out of 7 measures of performance..
World's stupidest comaparision goes to them.  Let's compare a red Porsche with a yellow one!  They're the same.

quote:
Myth - "Firefox Achieved 150 million downloads (2-2006)"

Reality - "Oops. We recently introduced a bug into the counter and it's being fixed. We're not quite there yet. Sorry for the confusion. We accidentally counted the 20 million people who updated from Firefox 1.5 to Firefox 1.5.0.1 this week."
For god's sake, they admitted they were wrong, and they didn't make a lie of it.  What's the point?

quote:
Myth - "Firefox Achieved 10% Market Share in 2005"

Reality - "According to WebSideStory, a San Diego-based Web analytics provider, Mozilla's Firefox closed 2005 with 8.9% of the browser market, while Microsoft's Internet Explorer wrapped up the year with 87.6%."
Yes, they'll put it to be accurate to the .000000000000000001.  It's an estimation for god's sake.

quote:
Myth - "Firefox is Secure"

Reality - Firefox is anything but Secure with multiple unpatched vulnerabilities allowing exposure of sensitive data to local users. You only need one vulnerability to be insecure. Since Firefox v1.x was released, users have been exposed to over 100 security vulnerabilities and counting.

Secunia - lists 97 security vulnerabilities in Firefox, 63 of which are rated as Highly Critical and 1 Extremely Critical.

Mozilla  - lists 100 "known" security vulnerabilities in Firefox, 21 of which are rated as High and 39 Critical.

CVE - lists 142 security vulnerabilities in Firefox.

"In the excitement that surrounded its launch last year, Firefox was unreasonably portrayed by some as having unbreakable security, but the vulnerabilities that have been detected in recent months are injecting a dose of reality into this myth, analysts say."
I wonder why he wouldn't include IE's vulnerabilities?!?  Plus, Firefox gets updates, I've never saw an IE update in a looooong while.
  • Secunia: 201
  • CVE: 391

quote:
Myth - "Firefox is the Most Secure Web Browser"

Reality - Opera is actually the most Secure Graphical Web Browser in Windows with 0 unpatched vulnerabilities.
Same as Firefox, they fix the vunerabilities too there.  IE never got a bug fixed for a long while.

I won't even bother finishing because it is pointless.
RE: Firefox by -dt- on 04-23-2006 at 02:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by nvez
Opera & Firefox do use the same rendering system, but Opera has a few modification that makes it run faster which can be changed in Firefox somewhere in about:config
WTF no , opera uses its own rendering engine.
RE: Firefox by tomfletcherman on 04-23-2006 at 04:48 PM

The real issues are with the random memory leaks and the fact is nothing is totally bullet proof. I'm used to firefox and although my belief is that Opera is just as good/better I'm sticking with ff for the plugins like adblock and the filterset G updater because I'm used to it. It's updated quite regularly to fix the bugs and this is what we should expect.

RE: RE: Firefox by brian on 04-23-2006 at 07:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
Originally posted by nvez
WTF no , opera uses its own rendering engine.

Heh.  Somehow I always though that. :<
RE: Firefox by JadeRovo on 04-23-2006 at 07:58 PM

Yes, Firefox is the best browser.

RE: Firefox by brian on 04-23-2006 at 10:27 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers

Very nice page I found. :)

RE: Firefox by welshboy222 on 04-25-2006 at 06:50 PM

dunno what I have lol but whats firfox all about then?

RE: Firefox by user27089 on 04-25-2006 at 07:16 PM

Firefox is a web browser, like Internet Explorer, Netscape & Opera.

You can get it from here:

http://mozilla.org/firefox.

RE: Firefox by welshboy222 on 04-25-2006 at 07:20 PM

Yer but how is it differnet to internet explorer?

RE: Firefox by user27089 on 04-25-2006 at 07:22 PM

For lots of reasons:

• More secure to use
  • More updates for bug fixes, security issues etc.
  • Tabbed browsing
  • Faster browsing
  • Skinnable
  • Eats up less RAM =P

For more, try going to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers

(nvez posted this)
RE: Firefox by absorbation on 04-25-2006 at 07:41 PM

It all comes down to personal opinion. Firefox cannot be compared to be more sercure than IE. Both have sercuity flaws. However firefox updates itself much better wheras IE relises on monthly updates :P

Yet syamtics claims that IE is the more sercure browser and is recommended to use my most companies to prevent attacks. (but who knows the full story behind that, they could of been payed or persuded to do so by Microsoft)

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Eats up less RAM =P

Not always true. Firefox takes up alot of process mem, however this is because it does not have the advantage to start with Windows. Firefox may take up more RAM but it renders webpages quicker. :P
RE: Firefox by Plik on 04-25-2006 at 07:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Absorbation
It all comes down to personal opinion. Firefox cannot be compared to be more sercure than IE. Both have sercuity flaws. However firefox updates itself much better wheras IE relises on monthly updates :P
Firefox is still more secure than IE, yeh sure both have security flaws, but IE has a lot more. Plus IE has active x (hence how people get malware just by browseing with IE)
RE: Firefox by rav0 on 04-26-2006 at 11:22 AM

Everything at Firefox Myths is true. The name Firefox Myths doesn't mean that they make myths, the page states common misconceptions, and dispells them.

Use Firefox if you want, Use Opera if you want, Use Internet Explorer if you want, use Lynx if you want. Just be sensible and keep yourself updates if you're worried about driveby downloads.

RE: Firefox by Fuzzles on 04-26-2006 at 11:33 AM

I have never heard of opera is that any good?

RE: Firefox by ins4ne on 04-26-2006 at 11:36 AM

get the browser you want... every browser has its advantages and its disadvantages...

RE: Firefox by rav0 on 04-26-2006 at 11:42 AM

I use Opera always (when my computer isn't broken). It has tabs for a real MDI (ignore if you don't know what MDI is).

It's extremely fast (the fastest browser on Earth), especially with its intelligent (not like Fx's) memory usage. Mouse gestures lets you hold a certain mouse button and just move the mouse in a direction/pattern to perform an action. With voice support, Opera will read and listen to you (I don't use the voice much). The mother of customisability, you wouldn't recognise my Opera setup, I have it just how I find it easiest (laziest :p) to use. It lets you make custom buttons to do whatever you want.

RE: Firefox by Exo on 04-26-2006 at 11:48 AM

I think that everyone has understood by now that rav0 is an hardcore Opera user. :) Nothing bad about that! I'm a Firefox hardcore user myself. Acording to that website, Firefox has some flaws (specially in marketing!), but I don't care. I've learned to love Firefox. (L)

RE: RE: Firefox by rav0 on 04-26-2006 at 11:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Exo
I think that everyone has understood by now that rav0 is an hardcore Opera user. :) Nothing bad about that! I'm a Firefox hardcore user myself. Acording to that website, Firefox has some flaws (specially in marketing!), but I don't care. I've learned to love Firefox. (L)

/sclap
(h5)(h5)(h5)(h5)(h5)
RE: Firefox by ins4ne on 04-26-2006 at 11:52 AM

exo ur right =) i love ftx too =) its great but now im intrested in opera...    rav0 post some screenshot.. id like to see the user interface...

RE: Firefox by Exo on 04-26-2006 at 11:54 AM

http://www.opera.com/docs/screenshots/ ;)

What better place to learn about Opera than the website itself?

RE: Firefox by Fuzzles on 04-26-2006 at 11:57 AM

I am a hardcore Firefox fan! I even sent in an ad for that competition :P

Firefox all the way

RE: Firefox by ins4ne on 04-26-2006 at 11:58 AM

hum... yeah.. of course :$

RE: RE: Firefox by rav0 on 04-26-2006 at 12:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
I use Opera always (when my computer isn't broken).
My computer is broken right now. Besides, if I posted my own screenshots, they'd be no use to you unless I gave you my config files. Opera is extremely customisable. There's screenshots of the default UI on the Opera website.
RE: Firefox by Hank on 04-26-2006 at 12:12 PM

Opera needs better popup blocking of websites than it has right now for me to use it

RE: Firefox by Exo on 04-26-2006 at 12:16 PM

'K I downloaded Opera Beta 9.00 and I'm using right now, as we type. I like what I see. One thing I like is the tabs. Firefox doesn't "inforce" them like Opera, but I like both ways (OMiGosh I'm bi).

RE: Firefox by linx05 on 04-26-2006 at 03:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Exo
Love reading posts like this. No fanboyism at all. To those who are looking for other browsers, there are MANY out there. Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, IE, Maxthon, Avant... the list could go on.

Go with what you like. Don't listen to anyone else.

p.s. Firefox fans are the worst liars/people on the net.
RE: Firefox by ins4ne on 04-26-2006 at 04:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by linx05

yeah of course... all other browser are 10000x better than fx :P:P:P:P

p.s: IN YOUR DREAMS!!!!!!

RE: Firefox by Exo on 04-26-2006 at 04:52 PM

Exactly! I say go with what fits your needs, not what fits other's.

RE: Firefox by Pyroteq on 04-27-2006 at 01:12 AM

i like Firefox. but then again, i havnt used opera.

RE: RE: Firefox by linx05 on 04-27-2006 at 08:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by hardc0re
quote:

Exactly my point ;)
RE: RE: RE: Firefox by -dt- on 04-27-2006 at 08:42 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Exactly my point ;)

every browser has fans like that... :P
RE: Firefox by ins4ne on 04-27-2006 at 10:24 AM

jepp an for fx its normal that it has su much fans =) its the best @ all :P

RE: Firefox by linx05 on 04-27-2006 at 11:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
every browser has fans like that... :P
Firefox fans are most notable for it.

quote:
Install a spell checker or learn some english before I will even consider taking you seriously.
RE: Firefox by zach on 04-27-2006 at 11:13 AM

quote:
Human translation: Yep and for firefox it's normal that it has so much fans =) It's the best of all :P

I say Opera if you are new to browsers and Firefox later on...
RE: Firefox by linx05 on 04-27-2006 at 11:16 AM

Thanks for the translation zach ;)

RE: Firefox by ins4ne on 04-27-2006 at 11:17 AM

yeah guys... sorry for my very good english :$ :$ :$

RE: RE: Firefox by rav0 on 04-27-2006 at 11:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by zach
I say the other way around, and maybe not at all.
RE: Firefox by ins4ne on 04-27-2006 at 11:35 AM

maybe you have seen this already but its still funny :D:D:D

RE: Firefox by zach on 04-27-2006 at 11:55 AM

quote:
maybe you have seen this already but its still funny :D:D:D
:lol:
quote:
Originally posted by rav0
quote:
Originally posted by zach
I say the other way around, and maybe not at all.

Well I use Firefox now because I'm used to the extentions and settings. When I used Opera, I liked it and thought it was faster than firefox but I couldn't get used to it.