Shoutbox

Help for a guy in trouble - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Help for a guy in trouble (/showthread.php?tid=58769)

Help for a guy in trouble by bio_hazard13 on 04-26-2006 at 09:47 AM

Hey guys i just want to ask a question.  i was wanting to pop the question to my girlfriend, but being at uni full time at the moment, i dont have a job and have rather limited money.  I have been looking at buying a really nice looking ring for our anniversary and using that but i was just wondering your opinion on this question.

Does an engagement ring have to be super expensive? For example could one bought for just under $500, still looking very nice of course, still be adequate for poping the question?

Thanks in advance for your help guys, and girls of course.

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by Fuzzles on 04-26-2006 at 09:52 AM

It doesn't just matter about the price it'e how much you love her.

Love is worth more than money :)

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by Felu on 04-26-2006 at 09:58 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fuzzles
It doesn't just matter about the price it'e how much you love her.

Love is worth more than money :)
Yea. Even if these days money talks, love shouts.
RE: Help for a guy in trouble by L. Coyote on 04-26-2006 at 01:50 PM

They don't always want the most expensive rings. It's how much love it is in it. Or that's what I was told when I went through that.

You can always, later in life, buy the one you wanted to buy but couldn't.

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by Rubber Stamp on 04-26-2006 at 02:32 PM

yea...if someone stops loving you just cos u cant afford a damn expensive ring, then obviously, she doesnt love you. its the love that matters and not the cost. go for it. best of luck

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by Fanta on 04-26-2006 at 03:34 PM

To be honest, if she judges your love by the ring she gets, she's not worth it :$  Love shouldn't be shown by pricetags and stuff, love is something you do with your heart, not with your money.

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by linx05 on 04-26-2006 at 04:01 PM

I remember listening to a show on the radio and the women called in saying anything under $1000 was bad. If I ever had a girlfriend like that she would be out the door in no time.

Pretty much exactly what Fanta said. Buy her something that you think is nice, marks the occasion and symbolises what you two have (don't ask me where I pulled that one from).

If she has a whinge about it not being expensive enough, dump as soon as you can. Because a relationship based on money isn't going to work.

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by paperless on 04-26-2006 at 05:00 PM

If you want to marry her you were supposed to know her tastes so i think asking her friends isnt a good idea..
Buy a good looking one i guess it doesnt need to be expensive fanta is a 24 year old woman and she said it didnt need to be expensive i think you should trust her.

Just make sure to have a romantic environment to propose and pay attention if she says the "yes" naturally or if she feels a bit forced because you had all the trouble to make her feel good..

Bah i can say i learnt that from movies but i guess the best is to let it go naturally..

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by John Anderton on 04-26-2006 at 05:07 PM

tbh the safest answer to this question from my position is "no comment"

If you are smart you'll understand what i mean cause there are a few million things i can say .... its like opening pandora's box .....

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by Idium on 04-26-2006 at 05:18 PM

i jus proposed 2 my now fiancee with a ring that cost £140 (about $220) and she loved it. Rare Kunzite and diamond ring in white gold.  very nice

have a look at this ring and tell me what u think of it

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by L. Coyote on 04-26-2006 at 05:28 PM

OMFG! That's the one I got for my ex....

x___X

lol, it's a good one.

quote:
Originally posted by Eljay
didnt go down very well then? 8-) :P
:tongue: How can you tell?

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by Eljay on 04-26-2006 at 05:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by booneht
OMFG! That's the one I got for my ex....

didnt go down very well then? 8-) :P
RE: Help for a guy in trouble by user27089 on 04-26-2006 at 05:31 PM

Don't worry about getting an expensive ring... That's the mistake my brother always makes, he always has to buy the most expensive thing, and really it isn't worth it. They won't love you any more or less no matter what you buy them unless they're in it for the money. They know you're in uni and don't have the cash to spend to be able to buy something decent.

If anything, promise her a really nice ring for when you have a steady job ^_^ and after you're married of course 8-)

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by Reaper on 04-26-2006 at 05:50 PM

Make sure you dont get something too cheap, like an onion ring :dodgy:

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by Idium on 04-26-2006 at 06:18 PM

no onion rings is a very good bit if advice

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by Rik on 04-26-2006 at 06:28 PM

if she trully loves you then any ring would do :)
buy her a nice one but it doesn't need to be the most expensive one

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by Pyroteq on 04-27-2006 at 01:13 AM

It's still good. Love isn't about the money, I'd be more worried about planning your night perfectly than the pricetag of the ring.. The perfect night to do it is what really sets you up, not how much that ring costs..

and hey, let us know how you go

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by qgroessl on 04-27-2006 at 01:19 AM

Just by her what you think she'll like... ask her sister or something for advice if you trust her... Cause some girls prefer white gold/silver over gold... or would rather some ofther sort of stone besides diamond etc....

Just by her the ring that you think she'll appreciate most with the money you have.

quote:
and hey, let us know how you go
Yeah! Be sure to tell us :p we're nosey ;)
RE: Help for a guy in trouble by Voldemort on 04-27-2006 at 01:28 AM

* Voldemort agrees totally with Fanta

you damn picky people:P

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by qgroessl on 04-27-2006 at 02:02 AM

[offtopic]?? :p why didn't that work like it was supposed to??[/offtopic]

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by lizard.boy on 04-27-2006 at 02:24 AM

as long as your not cheaping out, then i'd say that price dosnt matter, just find something you can put your heart behind and still afford.

RE: Help for a guy in trouble by L. Coyote on 04-27-2006 at 02:57 AM

quote:
Originally posted by UTI
[offtopic]?? :p why didn't that work like it was supposed to??[/offtopic]
Because he used [size] tags on the same line, I suppose. Should have typed the beginning on one line and /me on another line.
RE: RE: Help for a guy in trouble by Aeryn on 04-27-2006 at 12:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Idium
i jus proposed 2 my now fiancee with a ring that cost £140 (about $220) and she loved it. Rare Kunzite and diamond ring in white gold.  very nice

have a look at this ring and tell me what u think of it

I think it looks gorgeous. :)

And yeah, I agree with what everyone else have been saying. A woman who truly loves you, won't worry about the price of the ring. All that matters is your intentions and how you make the best of the resources you have (i.e., a beautiful romantic night or something, which doesn't have to involve a lot of money but which she will still always remember as something special, etc).