Shoutbox

Another IDE Drive - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Another IDE Drive (/showthread.php?tid=58956)

Another IDE Drive by Jhrono on 05-01-2006 at 09:04 PM

So.. Here's how my system is set-up :

• Primary IDE
    • CD-RW Drive
      • - DVD-RW Drive
  • Secondary IDE
    • Hard Drive C:\
      • Hard Drive D:\

My motherboard has no extra IDE Slots, so, right now I want to add another Hard Drive.. How can I do that :$ ?

Thanks
RE: Another IDE Drive by YottabyteWizard on 05-01-2006 at 09:27 PM

You can buy a controller card.
[Image: startecnh_PCI2IDE100.jpg]

RE: Another IDE Drive by Jhrono on 05-01-2006 at 09:35 PM

Thanks YottabyteWizard. By the way, can anyone point me some good brands for these ? Oh and some good PCI models too.. Thanks

RE: Another IDE Drive by Ezra on 05-01-2006 at 09:39 PM

Or use SATA if there are SATA slots available on your mobo, I know mine has, 2 IDE slots, and 2 SATA slots, so I can have in total 6 devices without controller cards.

But if you do buy a controller card you can choose out of SCSI, SATA and IDE, I would choose SATA if I were you. Costs maybe a bit more, but SATA is much faster and generally better, cause it's like IDE version 2 ;), also SCSI is mostly for high-end server systems.

RE: Another IDE Drive by Adeptus on 05-01-2006 at 11:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
can anyone point me some good brands for these ?

The top name in basic ATA controller cards is Promise.  Here are some cards you could consider:

Adaptec probably makes some as well.  Since these cards are not very expensive to start with and reliability, compatibility are critical for a storage controller (if you value your data!), I wouldn't go no-name bargain shopping for this one.

If you haven't yet purchased the drive you plan to add, go with serial ATA as Ezra suggested.  It still makes little or no difference in performance for most drives, but they cost the same and parallel ATA will eventually become extinct. 
RE: Another IDE Drive by Pyroteq on 05-02-2006 at 06:27 AM

If your mobo has SATA slots, then use them. SATA is faster and you wont have to mess around with your IDE Setup :)

RE: Another IDE Drive by YottabyteWizard on 05-02-2006 at 04:11 PM

Also using SATA drives depends on the power supply. If you're going to make the switch to SATA be sure you have the right connections from the power supply.... Unless you buy a Hard Drive wich supports both kind of power connections, but I've not seen any around here..

[Image: 4pinmalepower.jpg]
IDE/ATA power connector

[Image: sata15pin.jpg]
SATA connector.

RE: RE: Another IDE Drive by Ezra on 05-02-2006 at 05:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
Also using SATA drives depends on the power supply. If you're going to make the switch to SATA be sure you have the right connections from the power supply.... Unless you buy a Hard Drive wich supports both kind of power connections, but I've not seen any around here..

[Image: 4pinmalepower.jpg]
IDE/ATA power connector

[Image: sata15pin.jpg]
SATA connector.

There are IDE>SATA adapters.
RE: Another IDE Drive by rav0 on 05-03-2006 at 11:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
So.. Here's how my system is set-up :

• Primary IDE
    • CD-RW Drive
      • - DVD-RW Drive
  • Secondary IDE
    • Hard Drive C:\
      • Hard Drive D:\

Just FYI, you should keep your HDs (the first two at least) on the primary channel.
RE: Another IDE Drive by Pyroteq on 05-03-2006 at 12:06 PM

I have an IDE-SATA adapter for my Power Supply, came with the harddrive. works fine.

RE: Another IDE Drive by Adeptus on 05-03-2006 at 01:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by rav0
Just FYI, you should keep your HDs (the first two at least) on the primary channel.
That is only a convention. It might make it confusing to follow the instructions for some tasks (if he were to try something like installing Linux), but in the end it doesn't matter and works exactly the same.

Switching the drives around now would require a repair install of Windows -- so I wouldn't recommend that.
RE: Another IDE Drive by Dempsey on 05-03-2006 at 02:13 PM

I want to do the exact same thing, Ive got a CD-ROM, DVD-Writer and 2 HDS and now I've got my old laptop HD back from repair, so I'm getting a IDE convertor thing, but got no IDE channels left, so is this the kinda thing I wanna get:

New Link PCI ATA133 RAID Controller Card W/Cable  ?

RE: Another IDE Drive by YottabyteWizard on 05-03-2006 at 04:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
so is this the kinda thing I wanna get:

New Link PCI ATA133 RAID Controller Card W/Cable  ?
Yeah, it's perfect.
RE: RE: Another IDE Drive by andrewdodd13 on 05-03-2006 at 06:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by EzraBut if you do buy a controller card you can choose out of SCSI, SATA and IDE, I would choose SATA if I were you. Costs maybe a bit more, but SATA is much faster and generally better, cause it's like IDE version 2 ;), also SCSI is mostly for high-end server systems.

Just something to point out: SCSI HDD's aren't designed for home environments, and should not be used in cases where the computer will be switched off at night. Something to do with spin-down and spin-ups (SCSI drives operate at 10kRPM which is faster than the usual 7.2 of an IDE drive, it may have something to do with this, don't quote me on that - all I know is the techy says not to switch the SCSI PCs off, so we don't do it).
RE: Another IDE Drive by Nathan on 05-03-2006 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
Just something to point out: SCSI HDD's aren't designed for home environments, and should not be used in cases where the computer will be switched off at night. Something to do with spin-down and spin-ups (SCSI drives operate at 10kRPM which is faster than the usual 7.2 of an IDE drive, it may have something to do with this, don't quote me on that - all I know is the techy says not to switch the SCSI PCs off, so we don't do it).
:tongue: I quoted you and you didnt want me too :P
j/k
I dont switch my pc off at night.