Shoutbox

Creating Data Collection webpage... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Creating Data Collection webpage... (/showthread.php?tid=59018)

Creating Data Collection webpage... by M73A on 05-03-2006 at 03:17 PM

right, i know i would need a form, but i dont want the data that is entered t be emailed to me, is there a way to save it in a database that i can open in ms access or a spreadsheet for excel?

thanks..

RE: Creating Data Collection webpage... by rav0 on 05-04-2006 at 01:54 AM

You can save it into a MySQL (or similar) database, but I doubt that it'd be easy to save straight into any Office format.

RE: Creating Data Collection webpage... by Adeptus on 05-04-2006 at 03:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by M73A
i would need a form, but i dont want the data that is entered t be emailed to me, is there a way to save it in a database that i can open in ms access or a spreadsheet for excel?
Short answer: yes.

Longer answer:

This is the type of question that I am often tempted to answer with "If you had to ask, then probably 'no' for you"  -- and I am not trying to be rude.  Yes, it is possible, but how to best go about it depends on the type of web server and the operating system (Unix, Windows) it runs on, and requires a bit of programming in any case.

On a Windows machine, you can use OLE DB or ODBC for either Access or Excel formats.  You can use them with ASP or ASP.NET on IIS,  as well as Perl or PHP on either Apache or IIS.  Lots of choices there.

On a Unix machine, your best bet is Excel format using Perl and Spreadsheet::WriteExcel module.