Shoutbox

8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled (/showthread.php?tid=59024)

8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by Dane on 05-03-2006 at 05:05 PM

An earthquake rated between 7.8 and 8.1 on the Richter scale caused a massive alert over fears of a tsunami. The earthquake epicenter was 95 miles south of Neiafu, Tonga.  The U.S. Geological Survey now believes that there is no tsunami.  After about an hour of watchful eyes on Ocean monitoring devices, they strongly believe that there is no need to worry about a tsunami now.  The last tsuanmi was caused by a 9.0 earthquake near Indonesia on December 26th, 2004.

Sources: FOX News, CNN, MSNBC

RE: BREAKING NEWS: 8.1 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Issued by user27089 on 05-03-2006 at 05:08 PM

Dude this sucks :|, the world is going mental :dodgy:

RE: BREAKING NEWS: 8.1 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Issued by Weyzza on 05-03-2006 at 05:11 PM

*Indonesia
*December 26th

I just read the news from the link you provided.
Too bad the tsunami (if there is one) is predicted to hit shores around 5 AM.
They probably aren't aware of the tsunami wave right now.

RE: BREAKING NEWS: 8.1 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Issued by Menthix on 05-03-2006 at 05:22 PM

Only Fox reports 8.1 BTW, the other sources say 7.8... Still big though

RE: BREAKING NEWS: 8.1 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Issued by Kryptonate on 05-03-2006 at 06:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

what does an earthquake have to do with a world going mental? They have been around for ever. A person being killed just for an iPod is a mental world. But besides that, I hope nothing bad will happen to the surrounding area's. The world can miss another great disaster.

Edit: seems that the alert is cancelled by now and so far there's no or not much damage.
RE: RE: BREAKING NEWS: 8.1 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Issued by FrozenDaggers on 05-03-2006 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
quote:

what does an earthquake have to do with a world going mental? They have been around for ever. A person being killed just for an iPod is a mental world.

Things like this are happening more offen, natural disasters and such.

RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by paperless on 05-03-2006 at 10:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FrozenDaggers
Things like this are happening more offen, natural disasters and such.

You only have better, broader and faster ways of getting information...
RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by YottabyteWizard on 05-03-2006 at 11:41 PM

What the hell is going on? All the world is going nuts, the weather, the icebergs are melting.... god..... which will be our end?

RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by NiteMare on 05-03-2006 at 11:59 PM

i can see something like "the day after tommorow" happening

RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by -dt- on 05-04-2006 at 04:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NiteMare
i can see something like "the day after tommorow" happening
[Image: alreadytomorrowaus.png]
RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by guanako on 05-04-2006 at 04:49 AM

ahh people calm down is not like we are gonna live forever. everything ends, even us :P im so positive :D 

RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by YottabyteWizard on 05-04-2006 at 04:51 AM

But the global warming is going way to fast.... who knows....

RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by Pinchichuv on 05-04-2006 at 04:57 AM

true but i dont think that its gonna happend something like in "the day after tomorrow"

RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by guanako on 05-04-2006 at 04:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jchichuv
true but i dont think that its gonna happend something like in "the day after tomorrow"
:oohh no.. it will worst :P dont worrie soon we all will move to Mars :banana:
RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by paperless on 05-04-2006 at 06:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by YottabyteWIzard
But the global warming is going way to fast.... who knows....

to me thats just alarmism..
RE: RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by andrewdodd13 on 05-04-2006 at 07:03 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jchichuv

In reality, if "Global Warming" does exist, then it would actually happen like that - at least in Europe. Except for the whole thing about the guy going to save his son.

And it disappearing after a few days.

Basically, the gulf stream carries water heated by the sun from South-Central America across the Atlantic Ocean, and heats up North-West Europe, by a large amount. Just to give you a little comparison, in Cananda along the same latitude lines they have polar bears and the sea freezes over in the winter.

This "conveyor belt", as it's called, relies on the water being reused, like in a conveyor belt, funnily enough. When it leaves SC-America it's warm, so it rises to the surface. After it's done heating NW Europe, it sinks again, and travels under the hot water back to SC-America.

The problem arises when you see that the fresh water coming in from the melting Arctic ice caps does not sink like the salt water because it is less dense. So the conveyor stops flowing, and Europe gets rather cold.

The only doubts some people have is to whether "Global Warming" is actually caused by CO2 emissions. My ranting chemistry teacher never used to think so, he said that there was one graph of data which supported it, and it had been manipulated in the campaigner's favour - something to do with CO2 absorbtion per litre.

Anyway, it doesn't matter if what he says is right - there are still lots of doubts, and lots of people saying it does exist.

As for the quakes, it's probably just Earth having it's menstrual cycle, it does it sometimes, it'll go back to normal in couple of years. :)
RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by Pinchichuv on 05-04-2006 at 07:06 AM

so were going to have something like the day after tomorrow, wierd

RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by Felu on 05-04-2006 at 12:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by guanako
And u will bear all the expenses for exporting OXYGEN from the earth.
RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by -dt- on 05-04-2006 at 12:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost of da ages
quote:
:oohh no.. it will worst [Image: msn_tongue.gif] dont worrie soon we all will move to Mars [Image: banana.gif]
or he could terraform mars......
RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by Pipish on 05-05-2006 at 08:58 AM

i heard the earthquake happend under the sea somwhere and the tsunami waves were only ment to be 1 metre big :P

RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by John Anderton on 05-05-2006 at 09:37 AM

Earthquakes suck. Lets move to mars. Im planning on pulling a "total recall" stunt so we can all breathe there freely :cheesy:

Who's with me ?

RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by Felu on 05-05-2006 at 09:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Earthquakes suck. Lets move to mars. Im planning on pulling a "total recall" stunt so we can all breathe there freely :cheesy:

Who's with me ?
Me. Cuz India is tooooooo dirty.(atleast Delhi is)
But who knows we may get marsquakes there.
RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by Discrate on 05-05-2006 at 09:39 AM

You can go there first JA, then i will come if your not dead in about 3 hours.:P

quote:
Me. Cuz India is tooooooo dirty.
But who knows we may get marsquakes there.

India is not dirty. I could say australia's dirty and america's dirty. Just because some of there population is below the poverty line does not mean that india is a pove countrie and is dirty. Theres people below the poverty line in australia.
RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by John Anderton on 05-05-2006 at 10:08 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Discrate
You can go there first JA, then i will come if your not dead in about 3 hours.:P

India is not dirty. I could say australia's dirty and america's dirty. Just because some of there population is below the poverty line does not mean that india is a pove countrie and is dirty. Theres people below the poverty line in australia.
Here is something i wouldnt have expected. Ghost doesnt know his country well enough tbh :-/
And yes you are right discrate :)
RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by user27089 on 05-05-2006 at 11:11 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pipish
i heard the earthquake happend under the sea somwhere and the tsunami waves were only ment to be 1 metre big :P

The earthquake that caused the previous tsunami was under the sea, to cause a tsunami the earthquake generally has to be under the sea.

quote:
Originally posted by Ghost of da ages
quote:

If they manage to start planting stuff on Mars, then oxygen could be produced naturally :p
RE: RE: 8.0 Earthquake off of New Zealand; Tsunami Warning Cancelled by Vilkku on 05-05-2006 at 01:25 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipish

The earthquake that caused the previous tsunami was under the sea, to cause a tsunami the earthquake generally has to be under the sea.
Also, a tsunami doesn't really differ from ohter waves out at sea, it grows big just as it reaches the shore?